Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XS Test4Theory

Xtreme Cruncher

Thumbs up XS - Virtual LHC@home / Test4Theory

Test4Theory http://lhcathome2.cern.ch/test4theory/
    The Test4Theory@home project seeks to engage volunteers in theoretical physics computations for the Large Hadron Collider at CERN. The project is based on BOINC and allows participants to run simulations of particle collisions on their home computers. The results are submitted to a central database which is used as a common resource by both experimental and theoretical scientists working on LHC physics.
    There is now a version of BOINC being released with Virtual Box included to make set up and running this project just as easy as BOINC has always been, download, install, join the project and crunch away.

The team is currently in 67th place but can move up very quickly if we get a few more folks to join, even crunching 1 WU at a time will help us move up the ranks quickly. Besides helping out the scientists at LHC, I like the fact that the data is assimilated into their database and used by researchers almost immediately as opposed to biomed projects which can take years before even a publication is ready. Don't get me wrong, I've been crunching WCG for 5 years and do not plan to stop but I think the target on this project is cool and I like variety in my crunching to keep me interested.

Current day's stats:
    http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?p...=lhct&team=296
    Last edited by Snow Crash; 11-02-2014 at 05:48 AM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    With regular contributions from CeSinge and occasional visits from grayhoose (these two guys were pretty much the whole team), and the addition of Skycrane joining a while ago the team make some nice progress and moved up to be ranked #61

Now skycrane's putting up more PPD than I am ... but I have a plan
    I needed a way to step around the core limitation of Test4Theory / Virtual box implementation limitation of only allowing 1 WU to run at a time and remembered an excellent post from Vinas from way back when we were trying to figure out how to get HCC for the GPU running more efficiently.
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...pp_info-method

It only took a few minutes to set up and it all seems to be working fine as I have a T4T task running in the second BOINC instance. I'll post back after I've let it run a while to make sure it is not only pulling points but also running the simulations properly.

i'll see what i can do after i get my computer up and running again

I like large posteriors and I cannot prevaricate

Xtreme Cruncher
    ohhhh i like that, a little bit of competition... how is it working? is it nice and stable, or do you have to keep an eye on it?

ive got a few multi sockets i can run this on. and maybe, just maybe we can start pulling more WU from the server, instead of just one..

is it me, or has the WU gotten harder to do in the last month or so? every once in a while i look at the expected run time, and its like 400 minutes

edit... i think i have it working now, its downloading a new instance of T4T i tried making a 3rd one to run on the same comp. but am having problems with it. have you tried more than 2 instances of boic on single comp? im looking at using 2gb per T4T so my servers im thinking i can get away with 7 or so for a total of 14gb. and that will leave me plenty for reg boinc

do i need to adjust the max core useage for the Main boinc, and have the T4T use the other cores?
    Last edited by skycrane; 02-02-2014 at 12:30 PM. Reason: blah blah
    Its not overkill if it works.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Snow, i wasnt able to get it to run like that... i thought i copied pasted every thign correctly but it kept saying only one instance is allowed. so i got my vm back up and running... and woohoo, ive got 3 running on one comp right now... well see how it works for a few days then move them over to some of my big servers and see fi i can get in the doubble digits

Xtreme Cruncher
    Knock... Knock..... KNOCK KNOCK>>.... woohoo snowcrash

Xtreme Cruncher
    teampieoverall teampietoday
    blank Results Totals
    Local Rank Team Rank Project Rank blank Name Today Last Update Yesterday 2 Days Ago Average Last 7 days Last 28 Days RAC FDC RAC Results
    1 1 481 CeSinge 551 551 547 0 314 2,197 8,265 317 286 182,786
    2 2 558 down1 grayhoose 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 0 159,223
    3 3 972 up6 Snow Crash 1,081 1,081 1,619 1,130 1,235 8,100 36,588 1,269 1,315 92,958
    4 4 1114 up40 skycrane 3,236 3,236 2,134 1,464 1,625 12,806 51,992 1,813 1,806 79,512

the daily numbers are in...

edit... well that didnt work but
    snowcrash 1081
    skycrane 3236
    Last edited by skycrane; 02-06-2014 at 05:15 AM. Reason: blah

HWiNFO Author
    I'm in Running a pilot test on one machine, will see how it works...

EDIT: OK, 2 machines
    Last edited by Mumak; 02-14-2014 at 08:23 AM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Welcome Mumak hope you have fun smashing atoms in your own personal comp

HWiNFO Author
    Thanks. Now I'm running it on 4 machines.
    Interesting is, that the current vboxwrapper doesn't make use of VT-x: http://lhcathome2.cern.ch/test4theor...ad.php?id=1402
    That should change, hopefully soon...

Xtreme Cruncher
    http://lhcathome2.cern.ch/test4theor...?id=1154#13411

i think this is the page we are looking for to run more than one instance... but i cant understand heads or tails of it

HWiNFO Author
    Uh, pretty complicated. I think I'm not going to try that yet, still the rest of my cores are dedicated to WCG.
    Anyway, I don't understand why some users are getting multi-core apps (mt). If you check the stats like: http://lhcathome2.cern.ch/test4theory/top_hosts.php
    it's quite weird - the top RAC is an Atom Diamondville machine !
    Last edited by Mumak; 02-16-2014 at 06:34 AM.

HWiNFO Author
    Based on RAC, XS is now #13 (CERN is #14)
    Based on total credit, we're #53.

HWiNFO Author
    Has anybody maybe experienced disk corruption?
    Since I stated with T4T, on two of my machines various projects begun to fail. I found that this was due to a disk corruption inside the BOINC data folders.
    I have a feeling that this might be related to VirtualBox...

Xtreme Cruncher
    im not sure, but i have had some problems with one of my 4P systems, just random lockup, and restarts... but this is also running 5vms and 10 other boinc projects at the same time...so it might be to much for the system, but i havent had time to diagnaose it.

i did read all 17 pages of the T4T forums, and nothing was said previously about any problems with the vbox.....???

HWiNFO Author
    VirtualBox v4.3.8 released - Recommended
    vboxwrapper upgraded to v1.00 - enables VT-x/AMD-V + various improvements.

More info here: http://lhcathome2.cern.ch/test4theor...ad.php?id=1408

Xtreme Cruncher
    Mumak, so just go into vbox, and upgrade it from there? ill try and do it to all my rigs tonight... and on a side note, i think i have the multi core up and running.
    it took me a few hours again last night, and i had to check and recheck, and re rechekck the dir for everything to finally get it going. looks like their instructions were a little wrong with the dir they they used. and a little over complicated witht the directions, and you need to merge our instructions with thers and poof, it somehow works out
    Last edited by skycrane; 02-27-2014 at 04:56 AM.

HWiNFO Author
    I upgraded it by downloading the new VBox version from the official site.
    Just make sure you close BOINC before doing the upgrade (btw, BOINC 7.2.39 is recommended for this, so if you don't have that yet, you can upgrade that too).
    Also, I'm not sure if all, or just some of the WUs ended up in error after the upgrade. That might be caused by the switch to VT-x/AMD-V mode. Don't forget to make sure that VT-x/AMD-V is supported by the CPU and enabled in BIOS. I updated HWiNFO because of this to show the BIOS enabling status as well
    If all goes well, when you open the VBox Manager, you should see in the System box "Acceleration: VT-x/AMD-V ...."

HWiNFO Author
    Position based on
    RAC: #10
    Total credit: #50

Xtreme Cruncher
    we are racking up the points now....

# 4 in the daily credits

#43 in total credits

so lets try and ramp it up a bit more... only another 1000 pts a day is needed for the #3 spot, and just a bit over doubble what were doing now to take the ttop spot.

HWiNFO Author
    Unfortunately the credit system at T4T is a crap (= CreditNew). A few folks (including myself) are trying to convince the staff to use a different method, maybe based on MC Plot stats...

Xtreme Cruncher
    I'm closing in on a few other project milestones ... I'll try to bring a little something back this coming weekend

Xtreme Cruncher
    we hope to see you back Snowcrash, and bringing back some more competition....

Xtreme Cruncher
    So I'm trying to bring a little fun to the party by putting 1 rig in the pool on Thursday and then 2 more individual PCs last night + 1 doubled up for a total of 4 ... and somehow skycrane knows about this already, says "I don't think so" and promptly kicks in the door with 6612 pts. !!!

Between that and Mumak's rock solid steady 2748 daily pts. team XtremeSystems set a daily record of 10,177
    Last edited by Snow Crash; 04-12-2014 at 10:07 AM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    #2 in dailies for the second day in a row congrats to everyone

Snowcrash, if i could ever figure out what i did to be able to run 4 instances on my I7 withouth having to resort to vms. ive got like 50 other cores that could do it as well

Mumak, and Snowcrash, are in a race for 2nd place... now what you both really need to do is race me for first place hehe then we would be pulling over 20k a day witch sounds pretty damn good

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast