Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [VR-Zone] Intel Haswell-EP Brings DDR4, to Eat up to 160W, 190 Amps

Quote Originally Posted by BeepBeep2 View Post
    I wish people would understand TDP does not mean power consumption.
    it is typically a good idea of were it will be, and with intel tdp equivalent to amd acp. so if the chip is fully loaded without intentionally getting to max power consumption you are looking generally at being close to the amd acp and intel tdp rating.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    it is typically a good idea of were it will be, and with intel tdp equivalent to amd acp. so if the chip is fully loaded without intentionally getting to max power consumption you are looking generally at being close to the amd acp and intel tdp rating.
    AMD ACP is less than AMD TDP and AMD power consumption is usually over AMD TDP...
    Intel TDP usually overshoots actual power consumption IIRC...
    Smile

Xtreme Member
    Anyone have the vaguest idea about the "Integrated Voltage Regulator"?

Is it like an additional conditioning stage or are they insinuating actual step down from 12V? Given the area taken up by modern VRM solutions the later seems physically improbable.

Xtreme Addict
    I believe it's to allow different parts of the chip to dynamically run at different voltages as they are throttled or shut down.

Xtreme Addict
    a "cheap" $1500 per chip socket g34 setup will outperform an extremely expensive 4p 1567 that are $3k-4k each chip and the amd will use less power, so per watt and cost amd is a beast.
    i meant like bechmarks, the only one i found were anand
    well if thats the case why does cisco usc use intel over amd? most ppl get those units for virtualization?
    [MOBO] Asus CrossHair Formula 5 AM3+
    [GPU] ATI 6970 x2 Crossfire 2Gb
    [RAM] G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600
    [CPU] AMD FX-8120 @ 4.8 ghz
    [COOLER] XSPC Rasa 750 RS360 WaterCooling
    [OS] Windows 8 x64 Enterprise
    [HDD] OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD
    [AUDIO] Logitech S-220 17 Watts 2.1

Xtreme Addict
    AMD ACP is less than AMD TDP and AMD power consumption is usually over AMD TDP...
    ...umm did you mean to write intel in there somewhere? cause i dont think it makes sense?

with the last gen server parts they are are close.

Quote Originally Posted by god_43 View Post
    i meant like bechmarks, the only one i found were anand
    well if thats the case why does cisco usc use intel over amd? most ppl get those units for virtualization?
    there is no real reason to have a server like that anymore unless its for virtulization, and if you look at HP or dell you can request literature with some basic benches. it comes down to intel having more raw power for something like say a maxwell render but for a vm farm the compiled instruction advantage that intel gets is gone (worth a couple %), and the cpu to cpu data steam advantage that intel has is also killed off with virtualization, that just leaves amd with more real cores and about the same clock speed right now and amd uses less power (atleast before the SB and BD modules i have no idea on those.) if you went with the most current parts i am sure that intel would dominate, as the BD module sucks, but then it is low clock speed so it may work.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    with the last gen server parts they are are close.

there is no real reason to have a server like that anymore unless its for virtulization, and if you look at HP or dell you can request literature with some basic benches. it comes down to intel having more raw power for something like say a maxwell render but for a vm farm the compiled instruction advantage that intel gets is gone (worth a couple %), and the cpu to cpu data steam advantage that intel has is also killed off with virtualization, that just leaves amd with more real cores and about the same clock speed right now and amd uses less power (atleast before the SB and BD modules i have no idea on those.) if you went with the most current parts i am sure that intel would dominate, as the BD module sucks, but then it is low clock speed so it may work.
    ok thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12