Thread: StarTech RK2536BKF 25U 36in Knock-Down Server Rack Cabinet Review

Administrator

StarTech RK2536BKF 25U 36in Knock-Down Server Rack Cabinet Review

Around here I have been building a lot of servers lately and really needed a rack to mount these up for building and testing. I looked at many different racks and at first I was just going to get an open frame rack, the price is not to bad for those but in the end I just didn't like they way they looked.

My usual thinking is go big or go home and I was actually thinking of getting a 72U size rack, but man those puppies are just so big I scaled back my thinking on size.

My requirements were at least 18U in size min. for what I am doing here, thats kind of an odd size and ended up looking at 25U size cabinets.

In my searching I came accross the StarTech RK2536BKF 25U 36in Knock-Down Server Rack Cabinet and this looked just the trick for what I needed. It looks very nice and would be good for any office type space that would not require a really tall rack. Now adays you can fit very powerful servers in much less space so this fits that very well.

Here is the manufactures website on this unit.
    http://www.startech.com/Server-Manag...ters~RK2536BKF

I purchased mine from newegg as it had a better cost on it.
    This unit did not come direct from newegg, rather they ship it from StarTech so really the price savings was worth it imo.

Shipping went very smooth and I was called by the shipping company to schedule a delivery date/time and they showed up right on time.

It comes on a palette, weighs ~160lbs so its no light weight cabinet. It does require assembly tho.

So here it is dropped off on my driveway.

Taking the top cover off I get my first look inside. Seems to be packed well enough with no signs if damage.

Now taking the top parts out I can see the second layer of materials.

Now the fun part of putting this together. I was a little confused at first thinking that it would start by building the bottom and then working up. But the first step is taking the two side pannels and bolting in the front and rear cross members. This was pretty easy and only took maybe 10 minutes.

The next step is to flip this over so the top is on the bottom. I used the shipping carton top box on the concrete to protect it from scratching. Now its time to bolt on the other two cross members, screw in the leveling feet and casters. A power drill/screw driver is highly recommended for mounting the casters

Now its flipped back over to finish with the top and bottom cover plates.

Top cover plate. As you can see there are locations to mount 6 fans which I need to get. This case does not come with the fans, which I wish it did.

The bottom plate which is really 3 pieces screws in very easy.

Time to install the doors. There is a door bearing that you install in a hole on the botton and in the door there is a spring loaded bearing. So you set the doot on the bottom bearing, pull back the spring loaded top bearing and align it up and release the spring. Pretty easy stuff actually.

Same thing goes for installing the front door.

And thats pretty much all there is to assembly. All in all it was pretty easy and didn't take that much time.

Both front and back doors have locks. The side pannels also have locks and two locking clips and the side pannels come off pretty easy. You can actually remove both front and back doors and both side pannels to strip the whole cabinet down to install servers, very nice.

Construction of the cabinet is very solid with easy access to anything inside if needed. Quality of the parts is very high and I rate this cabinet right up there with SuperMicro cases. Very, very good quality plus it looks very nice.

Here it is all finished up and this picture gives a little idea on how big this case is. I am happy I did not get the 72U size unit LOL.

Only thing left to do is give it a little clean up to get rid of packing dust etc.

Thanks for reading and enjoy

Administrator
    Forgot to add.
    Each of the corners have a nice plastic cap that fits in place which finishes off the case to give nice rounded corners.

Xtreme Guru
    Thanks for the review. I've been thinking about getting a rack for rack-mount storage. Looks like a solid unit and a great price. I might skip the doors though and go for the 4 post version to save on cost.
    STARSCREAM
    3570k @ 4.6 GHz | Asus P8Z77-V LK | G.Skill F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM | ASUS GeForce GTX550 Ti
    Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB | Corsair Force GT 120GB | SK hynix 128GB | Samsung 830 64GB
    WD Black 640GB (3) | Seagate 7200rpm 1TB | Dell Perc H310 xflashed to LSI 9211-8i
    Corsair AX750 | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 | Antec P280 | Dell Ultrasharp U2410 | BenQ XL2420T
    ROCCAT Savu | Filco Majestouch-2 TKL w/Cherry MX Reds
    MEGATRON
    3770k @ 4.5GHz | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM
    SK hynix 128GB | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 60GB | WD Red 3TB (4) | Seagate 7200rpm 3TB (2)
    WD Green 2TB (3) | Seagate 7200rpm 1TB | Dell Perc H310 xflashed to LSI 9211-8i (2)
    Corsair AX650 | Corsair H80i

Administrator
    This monster is all setup and running now. What a beast it is
    It was very nice to be able to remove side pannels & doors + being on rollers made installing everything really nice.

Admin
    Man your going "high class" Bill. Nice case review. What are you serving?
    UNDER THE ICE .com
    Phase Change Cooling

is the remedy

Administrator
    3x 3960x @ 4.8ghz servers for a start, soon to be lots more

Xtreme Addict
    Nice rack, i really like that you can disassemble it (makes it easier to get it where you want it, wish my 25U here was like that). Though some points, that glass front is usually kind of bad for cooling (only getting air from either side bar which makes things like drive units hot in the center). Also you want to probably keep about 1' behind the unit for airflow egress at least (more if you actually want to do work back there as it doesn't have a split back door).

Would also invest in a roller pad for that floor. It looks too nice to be chewed up by a heavy rack.

Nice though. I'm really looking for a good 42U (full rack) but one that is soundproof if possible, spent too many years around (in?) computer rooms and think it's about time to figure out what this 'silence' thing is all about.

I am Xtreme
    wow that is pretty cool, nice job on the review Bill!

Administrator
    Thanks Sin

Yeah I am telling you it was super easy installing servers in this, pull off all the side pannels and doors for easy access. Then its on rollers so I could move it around really easy. Good point about the front door. I didn't like the look of the Mesh version so I went with this, cooling is not that bad but when it gets full it might an effect.

This is just a hard wood floor, nothing special so I am not worried.

The rack is really a test rack and will be torn down and reinstalled a lot, server wise. But I wanted a nice looking one here and later it will be moved into an office.

This puppy is pulling ~1200watts+ atm with everything running full loads so its not something I want to run 24/7 here at home LOL.