Thread: Dolby True HD from PC ???

Xtreme Addict

Dolby True HD from PC ???

Hi guys,

I recently bought speakers system for my gaming PC, KEF Q 5.1+ Onkyo TX-NR809.

I have GTX580, and since it doesn't bistream uncompressed audio to receiver, i bought GTX550ti which it capable to bistream the audio,

My goal to get Dolby True HD audio, but i couldn't, even if i play blu-ray of Dolby sound source

my setup is :

-DVI - HDMI cable from my GTX580 to the HDTV

DVI-HDMI cable from the GTX550ti to the receiver

this some screen shots may help

1.jpg
    1.JPG
    2.JPG

How i can get Dolby true HD sound ?

Thank you
    Gaming rig;
    ASUS RAMPAGE IV BLACK EDITION
    I7-4390K
    G.SKILL Trident X 16GB 2400
    Intel 530 240GB
    2x Asus GTX780
    Corsair AX1200
    HP ZR30w 30
    Win 8.1 pro
    Sound rig;
    Auzen X-Fi H.T. HD --> Yulong D100 MKII --> D-7100

all outta gum
    Is your software outputting Dolby TrueHD? I know PowerDVD requires to set it manually in preferences.
    www.teampclab.pl
    MOA 2009 Poland #2, AMD Black Ops 2010, MOA 2011 Poland #1, MOA 2011 EMEA #12

Test bench: empty

Xtreme Addict
    Thank you

In fact i want Dolby TrueHD to games also ?
    Gaming rig;
    I7-4390K
    Intel 530 240GB
    2x Asus GTX780
    Corsair AX1200
    HP ZR30w 30
    Win 8.1 pro
    Sound rig;

Xtreme Addict
    Thank you

In fact i want Dolby TrueHD to games also ?
    Gaming rig;
    I7-4390K
    Intel 530 240GB
    2x Asus GTX780
    Corsair AX1200
    HP ZR30w 30
    Win 8.1 pro
    Sound rig;

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I was thought Dolby was an encoding standand... a compression format...
    so games won't compress the audio to send it to the speakers it will just send the raw uncompressed audio.

if i'm wrong someone will correct me...

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" - (Einstein)

Quote Originally Posted by MadHacker View Post
    I was thought Dolby was an encoding standand... a compression format...
    so games won't compress the audio to send it to the speakers it will just send the raw uncompressed audio.

if i'm wrong someone will correct me...
    prerendered sounds are stored in dolby (like in cut scenes) , and when you use spdif out to something like a receiver it needs a format to send. if you did 8 channel lcm (7.1) that would need 4-8 connectors.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by G.Foyle View Post
    Is your software outputting Dolby TrueHD? I know PowerDVD requires to set it manually in preferences.
    ^this

if you want trueHD audio, the games must support it. or the movie has that option. when you buy blueray discs check what audio options it includes.

c[_]
    Your problem may also be related to the nVidia bug where connecting a TV to your card will limit you to 2/2.1 only. Make sure you arent getting caught in that one. The way to fix it is have a receiver between the card and TV.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    Your problem may also be related to the nVidia bug where connecting a TV to your card will limit you to 2/2.1 only. Make sure you arent getting caught in that one. The way to fix it is have a receiver between the card and TV.
    Or make sure you select not to send audio to the TV?
    PC Lab Qmicra V2 Case SFFi7 950 4.4GHz 200 x 22 1.36 volts
    Cooled by Swiftech GTZ - CPX-Pro - MCR420+MCR320+MCR220 | Completely Silent loads at 62c
    GTX 470 EVGA SuperClocked Plain stock
    12 Gigs OCZ Reaper DDR3 1600MHz) 8-8-8-24
    ASUS Rampage Gene II |Four OCZ Vertex 2 in RAID-0(60Gig x 4) | WD 2000Gig Storage

Theater ::: Panasonic G20 50" Plasma | Onkyo SC5508 Processor | Emotiva XPA-5 and XPA-2 | CSi A6 Center| 2 x Polk RTi A9 Front Towers| 2 x Klipsch RW-12d
    Lian-LI HTPC | Panasonic Blu Ray 655k| APC AV J10BLK Conditioner |

c[_]
    depends on the system configuration, nanometer

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Addict
    Thank you all guys for helping, i really appreciated.

The problem is, im totally Noob about AV receivers, and im aware to touch the setting of the receiver, i just need guide or basic steps, for the settings ?
    Gaming rig;
    I7-4390K
    Intel 530 240GB
    2x Asus GTX780
    Corsair AX1200
    HP ZR30w 30
    Win 8.1 pro
    Sound rig;

Xtreme Member
    For games the best you will get is PCM

Read up on PCM vs Dolby to see the difference but the jist of it is that dolby is compression and PCM isnt

Xtreme Addict
    Yes, the best i can get is PCM Multichannel, but its loss, unlike Dolby HD loss-less, i just hope that future games will support Dolby HD sound.

I just bought Auzen X-Fi HomeTheater HD sound card, Im sure the sound will be more better and more realistic.
    Gaming rig;
    I7-4390K
    Intel 530 240GB
    2x Asus GTX780
    Corsair AX1200
    HP ZR30w 30
    Win 8.1 pro
    Sound rig;

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by koc View Post
    Yes, the best i can get is PCM Multichannel, but its loss, unlike Dolby HD loss-less, i just hope that future games will support Dolby HD sound.
    I think you mixed up a couple of things.

Dolby True HD is a compression scheme that is loss-less. So the information is compressed, and once it's been decompressed it's the same as before compression.

PCM isn't compressed at all, and is thus also loss-less.

So the only difference between the two is practical, not qualitative.
    Win XP Pro x64 / Win 7 x64 / Phenom II / Asus m3a79-t Deluxe / 8x2 GB GSkill and some other stuff.....

Xtreme Member
    +1 for MattiasNYC post.

Yeah, PCM is loss-less too, as far as I know...

Xtreme Cruncher
    PCM isn't compressed. PCM is basically the raw output of an ADC converter. S/PDIF cables can carry two channels of PCM (Left-Right Stereo), or multiple channels of compressed audio, but it doesn't have enough bandwidth for True-HD
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by MattiasNYC View Post
    I think you mixed up a couple of things.

Dolby True HD is a compression scheme that is loss-less. So the information is compressed, and once it's been decompressed it's the same as before compression.

PCM isn't compressed at all, and is thus also loss-less.

So the only difference between the two is practical, not qualitative.
    This. From a pratical standpoint, 7.1 PCM will sound *exactly* the same. Appart from adding DSP effects (which almost any amp does now days), EAX to Open AL wrapper (ala Creative Alchemy, which is of benifit if you play older games mostly ) and Dolby Digital Live and DTS encoding (only useful if you don't have HDMI and are stuck with SPDIF), sound cards are a waste when using digital output to an amp.

Truth is that the Auzentech card is an overpriced waste of money 99% of the time.

As far as games go, lossless movie tracks will have signifiantly higher bitrate audio. Game audio tends to be compressed at lower bitrates as they handled by software dsps (also allows the developer to avoid licensing costs with Dolby and DTS on PC titles) and not to mention the fact that studio lossless audio in a game like GTA4 would take up a *huge* amount of space. Its not pratical yet using current optical storage mediums.

The only real reason to get a sound card when using digital is for the above mentioned reasons (which mostly benifit those with non hdmi equipment). There are a few more benifits if you use analog output ( ie quality headphones - i see you have a forte and decent cans ) but appart from that, basically pointless. When using digital your DAC in the amp largely defines the audio ouput quality and next your speakers. How that digital signal gets there is irrelavent. Data is data. That all in mind, ultimately even with all this hardware, if the source material is of poor quality, it will still sound bad. The only real thing you can do at this point is be sure you are dealing with high quality content and from there is all down to higher end speakers and amps.

One thing I'd do if you haven't is set the amp up for room correction. This will make sure the amp is set to the right cross over levels and will adjust each channels level relative to your listening position.

As far as acoustical performance and your ears are concerned, your GTX 580 outputting PCM will be 100% fine. Beyond that its placebo and the little light on the amp coming on to indicate "Yeah! Dolby True HD sucka!"

Take this coming from someone with a similar Onkyo and a 580 for the last year.
    Last edited by Chickenfeed; 06-08-2012 at 01:42 PM.
    Feedanator 7.0
    CASE:R5|PSU:850G2|CPU:i7 6850K|MB:x99 Ultra|RAM:8x4 2666|GPU:980TI|SSD:BPX256/Evo500|SOUND:2i4/HS8
    LCD:XB271HU|OS:Win10|INPUT:G900/K70 |HS/F:H115i

isnt the high bitrate of audio one of the reasons why gta4 and new max pain are so large?
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    Its higher than average buts it no lossless, its more the sheer quantity of audio involved ( especially GTA4 I believe they have over 20 hours of voice recording alone in game )
    Feedanator 7.0
    CASE:R5|PSU:850G2|CPU:i7 6850K|MB:x99 Ultra|RAM:8x4 2666|GPU:980TI|SSD:BPX256/Evo500|SOUND:2i4/HS8
    LCD:XB271HU|OS:Win10|INPUT:G900/K70 |HS/F:H115i

Xtreme Cruncher
    you have to setup your pc to passtrough and if you want to read dolby you have to setup the receiver to receive the pure stream (I do it that way in my pioneer) I get DTS MA DD HD and everything I throw at it
    Incoming new computer after 5 long years

YOU want to FIGHT CANCER OR AIDS join us at WCG and help to have a better FUTURE

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by koc View Post
    Thank you all guys for helping, i really appreciated.

The problem is, im totally Noob about AV receivers, and im aware to touch the setting of the receiver, i just need guide or basic steps, for the settings ?
    First, the source has to incorporate one of the True HD formats. When using these features our fancy smancy sound cards are a waste of money as someone already pointed out. Digital is digital and the Digital PCM signal passed through is the same=P It doesn't matter if the Computer is using a Sound Card, via the Video card's HDMI or even the Motherboard it will be the same signal. Please also note* Pass-through means going to the sound settings and selecting "external processing". This means sending the PCM signal strait to the receiver and using the Pure Direct In Setting on the Receiver and then the Receiver will do the rest or it should anyway. I used analog 5.1 out until I switched out the Pioneer 819 for a Pioneer 922 for 3D support for my 3D TV and BD Player. The 922 doesn't support 5.1 analog in (Boo Whhoooo) I miss that feature. I still use Analog Stereo Out for Music and the Prelude still kicks ass connected to my Old School JVC
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.
    For that we should thank BOTH (AMD and Intel) companies!

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

Xtreme Cruncher
    I'm kinda ticked that i still need to buy software to watch Blu-ray on my PC now that i got a great deal on a BD Drive.
    i3-8100 | GTX 970
    Ryzen 5 1600 | RX 580
    Assume nothing; Question everything

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingcarcas View Post
    I'm kinda ticked that i still need to buy software to watch Blu-ray on my PC now that i got a great deal on a BD Drive.
    Yepp, that does suck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.
    For that we should thank BOTH (AMD and Intel) companies!

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!