Thread: SUPERMICRO CSE-825TQ-R700LPB 2U Rack Mount Server Case Review

Administrator

SUPERMICRO CSE-825TQ-R700LPB 2U Rack Mount Server Case Review

When building a server, cases are one of the first things you have to pick out. I have always looked at SuperMicro cases first because they are simply the best well built cases I have seen or used.

Today I will be looking at a different case for me. Usually the cases I end up getting are the bigger 4U Pedestal/Rackmout cases like the one shown here.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...iew&highlight=

More and more of my clients are asking for 2U solutions so going to the CSE-825TQ-R700LPB was a natural choice for me.

A detail list of spec's can be found here.

http://www.supermicro.com/products/c...5TQ-R700LP.cfm

Key Features
    1. 700W Redundant Power Supply
    2. 8x 3.5" Hot-swap SAS / SATA Drive Bays
    3. 1x Slim DVD-ROM Drive
    4. Adjustable Air Shroud
    5. 7x Low-profile, Full-length I/O Expansion Slots
    6. 1x Serial, 2x USB Front Access I/O
    7. 2x Fixed 3.5" Drive Bays
    8. Full SES2 support is available with SAS motherboards and other compatible components.

When the UPS guy showed up today I had the hand dolly all ready as these cases weigh in at 50lbs + the shipping box and are not small by any means.

The first thing you will notice when you open one of these boxes is how well they are packed as you will see. Completly double boxed with full foam inserts inside provide plenty of protection.

This box did take a punch hole to the side of the box but did no damage inside at all.

Opening up the box we see how everything is laid out inside.
    You can see the accessory box and sliding rails + power cords here.

The accessory box has everything you will need to get yourself setup, power, front panel, SATA connectors plus mounting accessories.

Now with the case out of the box and sitting on the table you can see it might be slim but as usual server cases are very long.

Here is the front pannel connections. You can see that a Slim DVD drive is included with this case.

And this case has 8 hot swapable hard drive bays.

There are two buttons on the top that release the top pannel, it comes off very easy. With that off we get our first look inside the case. You can see the clear plastic pannel inside that directs air flow over the CPU air cooling blocks.

3 high speed fans are used for cooling this case. Each one can be removed for easy replacement by pressing in a little tab on the back and out they come.

Here you can see the Hard Drive back plane and all drive connectors plug into.

The back has two 700W Redundant Power Supplies. Each one can be removed by pressing in the tab and pulling the unit out for replacement.

The back side showing the usual pannel layout with removeable PCIe shields.

So that pretty much sums up a list of features about this case and gives you a brief look at how one of these is laid out inside.

But I must give a warning here.

These Cases have a very bad habit of reproducing. One is never enough so why not get 3.

My shipping clerk inspects the shipment first.

Have fun and enjoy, thanks for looking

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Very nice Bill!
    Love the mutt checking them out!
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Admin
    Glad to see you got some business going you way Bill. Thanks for the review. Those Power supplys are different looking.
    UNDER THE ICE .com
    Phase Change Cooling

is the remedy

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    if a person could marry supermicro.

i would.

supermicro products are top notch! now to clean the drool off my table

Administrator
    Thanks Ron
    This was shipment #1, still two more to go.
    The really big box is yet to come

After using SM cases I will use no other, they simply are the best. They think of everything possible feature wise.

Example: The top two right side drive bays are empty and after looking at the case a bit I see they slide right out. Perfect spot to install an SSD and leave all the other bays open for storage.

Xtreme Member
    Does Ablecom still use Taicon capacitors in their PSU secondary?

Xtreme Member
    Nice! I look forward to the watercooling setup!! Hit me up!