Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Project Quiet HTPC - Lian Li PC-90 Based

Project Quiet HTPC - Lian Li PC-90 Based

I found the PC-90 on sale at Newegg for just $120 shipped. This proved to be enough of a reason to turn my HTPC into a liquid cooled media playing monster (Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 4 serves my files)

I'm going to be reusing the HTPC's motherboard, CPU and RAM. The videocard will be the GTX570 from my main PC (just ordered a GTX670 for it).

Last edited by airs; 06-10-2012 at 12:16 PM.

Xtreme Member
    I just bought this as well. I've always wanted an ALU case and the deal was just too good to pass up. I'll be following this to see what you come up with.

Thanks squick3n! Are you going to be posting a build log as well?

Updated first post with purchases. Should be receiving some items today via UPS, woot!

Xtreme Member
    I really don't have the camera or lighting available to do a proper one. But I'll follow along with you and offer my impressions if that's okay. I've read several reviews but it seems very few people have bought this case, which explains why we were able to snag it so cheap! I'm expecting mine today and am curious as to what type of 140 mm fans are in there. If it's the 1000 RPMs then that's not enough air. I bought the same adapters as you and will drop some AP-15s or maybe just some YL 140-Ms in there later on.

Yeah, feedback is definitely welcome! I am getting the case today too

I haven't bought the fan adapters or radiator yet, going to do that today. Like everyone else, I wish there was a 140mm AP-15 - the 120 to 140mm brackets get expensive when you need to order seven

Have you decided on a reservoir and where you'll place it?
    Last edited by airs; 05-24-2012 at 12:57 PM.

Xtreme Member
    I actually just signed for my case from UPS. I'm migrating from an NZXT Switch 810 to this, so I'm hoping to use the same reservoir, which was a 200mL AlphaCool. My board is just ATX, so I was using the HPTX standoff holes to mount the res. Otherwise I really am just going to have to assemble it and then visualize what I want to try and do with my loop.

edit: Well I can say the 200 mL res is going to be too big, but I figure that was likely. It's almost impossible to track down any consistent info on these fans. But my first impression is WOW! It's sooo light. Exactly what I wanted
    Last edited by squick3n; 05-24-2012 at 02:01 PM.

Good to know the 200mL is too big - I was eyeing a 250mL, heh. Maybe I'll go with a 150.
    Last edited by airs; 05-24-2012 at 02:49 PM.

Xtreme Member
    I was mistaken. I have a 250mL res. It is possible to mount it, but there is no way to get a pump directly underneath it. Just from a practical standpoint, a bay res seems the easiest. Or a small 100mL or 150mL res and use one of the HPTX standoff holes to mount the clamp. Or, depending on your pump, a res affixed directly to the pump. The braces also offer a variety of modding options. Could mount a few rads with some modding. I almost want to spend a couple days just trying to wrap my head around it.

I got my case, ssd and fan controller yesterday - very pleased with the Lian Li and the fan controller seems promising - it has a PWM connector that I didn't notice before, yay. Updated first post with a quick pic.

I should be getting some more parts on Saturday or Tuesday. I also feel like I'm going to need a few days just to measure and plan it out, heh.

Xtreme Member
    I'm going to be very curious how you route the ATX power cable. Right now I'm using the 5.25" bays to house my drives, and have no intention of using the brackets. But it would definitely work to clip that cable to the center bracket, then on to the motherboard. Still, I can't get over how light it is. I'll put up with all the hassles for ease of movement.

The first thing I did was remove those brackets and put them in a storage box. I'm just going to have the fan controller and dvd-r drive in the 5.25 bays. The SSD will be mounted somewhere with a UN Designs bracket...just not sure where exactly, hah

ATX power cable...ugh...not looking forward to that, going to be ugly...

Super light is awesome...

Update!

Build is going well, the only thing I'm wondering is if the 120 rad in the rear is worthwhile/necessary - hmm...

To keep or not to keep?

Monsoon compression fittings have been a little annoying to work with, I think I prefer barbs. The look is nice though...

Bgears 120mm to 140mm adapters put to good use:

Dwarfed!

Cleaning Intel stock TIM off:

Not exactly bleeding edge, but it'll do

Trusty MX-2

Apogee HD

Installing tubing is always satisfying..

Waiting for Koolance GTX 690 water block to arrive so I can migrate my 570 to this machine. Should I keep the 120 rad? Any thoughts on my proposed loop order?

Last edited by airs; 06-10-2012 at 12:36 PM.

Xtreme Member
    I couldn't fit a 120 rad in the rear b/c my board is mATX. Works great at giving me space in mid towers but I have to have those top PCI spots. But for you, I'm not sure the 280 is enough for both a GPU and CPU. And do your really mean GTX 690? The dual GPU version? Then definitely no way it will be enough imo. You'll definitely need the rear 120 at least.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear about that - the GTX 690 will be going in my main machine (TJ07 with quad 120 rad in bottom and dual 120 rad in upper 5.25 bay area). The 690 will be replacing a GTX 570 - which will be migrated to this build.

Xtreme Member
    Ah gotcha. I don't really see HTPC usage really pushing anything for any extended period of time. But an extra rad might let you have more leeway for making sure it's quiet

GTX 690 arrived

570 made its way to the new build:

Filled and leak tested last night. Pics coming soon

Xtreme Member
    are you using a fill port? looks great btw. fun comes when trying to get wired clean unfortunately

Not really - I'm just using a syringe inserted into the top side port on the res to fill the system.

Not looking forward to wiring

Project is delayed as I found corrosion on the EK 580 block - around the middle screw

Have an RMA request out to EK...

Xtreme Member
    Jezz, a watercoolerd E5200... cant wait to see the overclocked results.
    PC:
    MOBO: Maximus VI Extreme
    CPU: Core i7-4770k
    RAM: 2x4gb Dominator Platinum 2133
    GPU: GeForce GTX Titan

Greetings from Brazil!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by airs View Post
    Project is delayed as I found corrosion on the EK 580 block - around the middle screw

Have an RMA request out to EK...
    Not really a fan of EK. Sent me a messed up 680 block and my CPU block took all sorts of fixing to get it working right. I will not be buying any of their products again

Quote Originally Posted by LeoAndrade View Post
    Jezz, a watercoolerd E5200... cant wait to see the overclocked results.
    I have the system up and running now with just the CPU under water. The 570 is using the stock air cooler for now.

I haven't put too much time into tweaking yet but the E5200 is rock solid at 3.9GHz, 2+ hrs of linpack in OCCT. I believe voltage is sitting at 1.350. Will post some more detailed results soon

Quote Originally Posted by squick3n View Post
    Not really a fan of EK. Sent me a messed up 680 block and my CPU block took all sorts of fixing to get it working right. I will not be buying any of their products again
    Ugh, sorry to hear that squick3n.

Hope the Koolance block I just got for my 690 doesn't turn out the same way...speaking of the 690, I've decided to put my TJ07 up for sale and go Caselabs for my main rig

Xtreme Member
    That will be a sweet frickin' build. Not many people have a TJ07 and think "I need to go bigger".

Quick update - I sent the water block back to FrozenCPU as instructed by EK. Since FCPU doesn't have anymore of the block stocked, my replacement is coming from EK (copper version this time).

In other news, I put in my STH10 order with CaseLabs last night!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast