Thread: [Worklog] Raikkok´s DESK

[Worklog] Raikkok´s DESK

Hi everybody.

My name is Javier. I´m 26 years old. I´m from Spain

I want to share with you the renders of my next project

I think i gonna start probably on next weekend, so i will upload the first pics A.S.A.P.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Seems odd to have the display so much higher than KB level. Looks like you'll have to crane your neck to look up at it. If I were you I would set up your current display at that height and distance and use it extensively before you decide whether it's going to be comfortable enough.

Most building components into a desk are putting the hardware under the desktop or in compartments on either side of the chair space. The sketch work is nicely done though.
    Last edited by Frag Maniac; 04-12-2012 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frag Maniac View Post
    Seems odd to have the display so much higher than KB level. Looks like you'll have to crane your neck to look up at it. If I were you I would set up your current display at that height and distance and use it extensively before you decide whether it's going to be comfortable enough.

Most building components into a desk are putting the hardware under the desktop or in compartments on either side of the chair space. The sketch work is nicely done though.
    Hello Frag Maniac.

Probably, i will put under the desktop the body central for avoid neck problems

I will put start soon

Xtreme Member
    Definately an interesting concept.

Be sure to post some pics when its all assembled.

Dust will be your enemy with this design for sure.
    motherboard - EVGA Classified e770 EK watercooled
    cpu - i7 950 @ 4.420GHz EK watercooled
    video - EVGA gtx 580 sli 950/1900/2300 EK watercooled
    memory - 3 x 4GB Mushkin Redline (7-8-7-20 1T)
    storage - Corsair Force 120GB ssd
    power supply - Corsair AX850 (MDPC-X sleeving)
    case - Danger Den Torutre Rack

Xtreme Guru
    I'd move back central module, so that you have at least 60cm of space.

Xtreme Member
    They have point, screen seems too high above desk level.
    Overall it is pretty simple idea, best advantage of it, should be really easy to make.

Quote Originally Posted by gr1p View Post
    Definately an interesting concept.

Be sure to post some pics when its all assembled.

Dust will be your enemy with this design for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by churchy View Post
    I'd move back central module, so that you have at least 60cm of space.

Quote Originally Posted by aerial View Post
    They have point, screen seems too high above desk level.
    Overall it is pretty simple idea, best advantage of it, should be really easy to make.

Thanks for your opinions.

I´m very happy

Tomorrow i think it will be a good day

Xtremely Hot Sauce
    I think the impact will ultimately depend on how the component enclosure is. I'm using a writing desk (way too small for KB+mouse+2 monitors) so the monitor is too low and the desk isn't very deep or wide. It's a PITA.

My toys:
    Asus Sabertooth X58 | Core i7-950 (D0) | CM Hyper 212+ | G.Skill Sniper LV 12GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | GeForce GTX 670-2048MB | OCZ Agility 4 512GB, WD Raptor 150GB x 3 (RAID0), WD Black 1TB x 2 (RAID0) | XFX 650W CAH9 | Lian-Li PC-9F | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Gigabyte EX58-UD3R | Core i7-920 (D0) | Stock HSF | G.Skill Sniper LV 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | Radeon HD 2600 Pro 512MB | WD Caviar 80GB IDE, 4TB x 2 (RAID5) | Corsair TX750 | XClio 188AF | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Dell Dimension 8400 | Pentium 4 530 HT (E0) | Stock HSF | 1.5GB DDR2-400 CL3 | GeForce 8800 GT 256MB | WD Caviar 160GB SATA | Stock PSU | (Broken) Stock Case | Win Vista HP x86
    Little Dot DAC_I | Little Dot MK IV | Beyerdynamic DT-880 Premium (600 Ω) | TEAC AG-H300 MkIII | Polk Audio Monitor 5 Series 2's

Hello after a long time!

Yesterday I bought this machine:

I´m waiting come with me soon

Also i´m very glad to announce four sponsors to this project:

Many thanks to all to colaborate in it

Probably asap i will show updates

Xtreme Guru
    I'd rework a bit initial project though, before starting to work. From how i understand your main idea of initial sketches - to show off all HW just before the eyes .. but imho it's rather bad ergonomic wise. You gonna see that hw, have some fun from that .. for month? But you'll use that table/HW installed for few years. = Big table with little actual space on it to put stuff there .. so i'd move stuff to a bit more convencial places, out of table surface, leaving it to put stuff on it, like peripherals and display, but rads/PSU/motherboard and alikes somewhere below table surface. Be it like in miahallen's water & wood build in drawers, or like in l3p desk build, with HW under glass table surface.

churchy..

I modified the design (on paper). The reason I don´t modify the sketchup is because i´m not have time.

The central body will go under. but the laterals... i don´t know at the moment what i will do with them...

Xtreme Guru
    On second look printer shelve also looks like something you often gonna bump your legs against when/if you'll try to stretch them. As for ideas on placement, why not on/in sides of table below top surface? On one side rad & pc above it, on another - 2nd rad & printer above it (to not lean too love to reach printouts). And what do you think of eg. integrating into table's surface dvd drive / usb/esata/powerbuttons panel?

The redesign is similar to this one:

Thanks churchy for your comments

Xtreme Guru
    Try to put sitting your virtual self near. Your knees imho will hit center blue part (on first glance seemingly 30cm thick) - so either you sit far from table and have to bend forwards a lot, or very low with hands risen high above. Imho thickness of table above legs shouldn't be more then 10cm (as in mentioned l3p desk), or even only plain table top (as in miahallen's, with printer place on the right instead of drawers), hence i suggested in previous posts mounting big hardware somewhere where it doesn't cover table surface or doesn't make sitting position awkward - that leaves "drawer" sides mostly, as big enough for almost anything, including motherboard/rads/printer and other stuff. Imho you can also think about things like shelves (maybe even with integrated light down to table surface) to the right, left and above display, to keep miscellaneous small things/accessories/CDs. Just leave enough space for possible big displays in future, 30" at least . You can also think of where / how will be placed speakers for sound (and of what type/size will be).
    BTW, what material you intended to use for blue part in model, glass?
    Also, you shouldn't mind my babbling too much . At the end it's you who is actually designing/making for yourself. All i can is just write some thoughts, but in no way my thoughts should be as must follow.
    EDIT
    Hmm, btw, those shelves on the sides or above monitor also could be potential mount places for some parts of hardware, at least those that you might wish to put in sight/showoff.
    Last edited by Church; 05-10-2012 at 07:03 AM.

churchy.. i´m trying to understand the complete idea you suggest (i´m not pro at english...)

Blue is acrylic (cast acyrlic, 3mm) , but is transparent, no color.

The top, on the desk, probably will be crystal, to avoid damage if it was acrylic

The central body will be shorter than i draw in it (i put it´s a moreless idea, not the exact idea)

I study alot the l3p project (Peter (l3p) gave me some ideas about my desk project)

This probably the final sketchup design

Green arrows represent the air flow in the body central. enter from the right and goes to the left.

Xtreme Guru
    What i was writing about was something like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chair.jpg 
Views:	537 
Size:	5.7 KB 
ID:	126601
    And how i write in english often is very bad and very hard to understand too

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Leg space can be a problem if you have long legs like I do. For my body shape I'd need to mount the components in compartments on each side of the chair, where drawers would normally go. It's not a bad way to go really, and can even be more convenient is some ways. For instance you could have the bottom two drawers on each side double as pullout access for your components, and could even flush mount the optical drive on the face of one of those drawers.

You'd probably still have room for a couple regular drawers for storage on the top of each side too. It would also be a way to compartmentalize components, keeping unnecessary heat away from vital parts. The only thing that would be a bit tricky is accounting for power and input device cords, but as an option you could have the drawer faces hinged at the bottom and just drop down, vs drawers that pull out. Or, combine the two and have an easy way to disconnect cables before pulling the drawer out.
    Last edited by Frag Maniac; 05-10-2012 at 04:04 PM.

What i was writing about was something like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chair.jpg 
Views:	537 
Size:	5.7 KB 
ID:	126601

And how i write in english often is very bad and very hard to understand too
    hhaha, no no, the problem is mine. I´m not pro

Yes, I understand the problem...... I´m trying to reduce the wide of the central body to avoid leg problems... and also put some space of the monitor´stand above the crystal top..

My desk has a width of 65 cms, in other cases will be enough but to this project.. is a little bit short...

@Frag Maniac: I appreciate your idea, but i prefer have enough space on the desk, because probably in the future i will mount a triple monitor (not sure, but i wish it). And the big problem as you comment, it´s the cables and cords distribution, big big...

Other solution would be put a VESA mount in the monitor, but behind the desk i have a window so.....
    Last edited by raikkok; 05-11-2012 at 01:33 AM.

Xtreme Guru
    raikkok: Main idea of my suggestions is - if you spend lot of time and efforts designing and making your build/table, then it would be nice to design be best possible that will fit your needs and would be pleasure to sit/work/play at for hours and years, not just something that will look good at pics, but will require uncomfortable seating/usage poses. imho best way to find needed measurements would be to measure in real life. - sit down near any normal table. Regulate chair to height you usually sit at. Put keyboard and mouse where you usually keep them (eg. some might prefer wider space before them for table to act as arm/palm rest area), how close you usually sit at, then measure how much space you need above legs, how far knees go, how wide/long table you need to place items you usually keep on table (except keyboard/mouse/display there might be some usb external hdd, some joystick, audio speakers, headphones when not worn, headlamp, etc), how wide is chair with it's armrests (if you wish for it to be rollable with armrests below table surface, from it might depend how wide undertable space between side drawer parts) then substract/add as needed some 5-10 cm to those measurements to act as some "reserve" .. then design table around those measurements, by keeping "free" space for yourself - free .
    IIRC i've heard that such car as Mini were designed in similar way - humans sat, and it was designed around them as minimal possible. No matter how blingy table might look, if ergonomics are not taken care of and you'll have to sit near it sideways or keep hands at almost shoulder hight, it would be uncomfortable to work at daily desipite all work that had gone in building it.

raikkok: Main idea of my suggestions is - if you spend lot of time and efforts designing and making your build/table, then it would be nice to design be best possible that will fit your needs and would be pleasure to sit/work/play at for hours and years, not just something that will look good at pics, but will require uncomfortable seating/usage poses. imho best way to find needed measurements would be to measure in real life. - sit down near any normal table. Regulate chair to height you usually sit at. Put keyboard and mouse where you usually keep them (eg. some might prefer wider space before them for table to act as arm/palm rest area), how close you usually sit at, then measure how much space you need above legs, how far knees go, how wide/long table you need to place items you usually keep on table (except keyboard/mouse/display there might be some usb external hdd, some joystick, audio speakers, headphones when not worn, headlamp, etc), how wide is chair with it's armrests (if you wish for it to be rollable with armrests below table surface, from it might depend how wide undertable space between side drawer parts) then substract/add as needed some 5-10 cm to those measurements to act as some "reserve" .. then design table around those measurements, by keeping "free" space for yourself - free .
    IIRC i've heard that such car as Mini were designed in similar way - humans sat, and it was designed around them as minimal possible. No matter how blingy table might look, if ergonomics are not taken care of and you'll have to sit near it sideways or keep hands at almost shoulder hight, it would be uncomfortable to work at daily desipite all work that had gone in building it.
    THANKS THANKS MANY THANKS churchy

Probably i will start with starts cubes

Here some pics from Aquatuning, Alphacool, Masterkleer and Phobya´sponsorship

Many thanks guys for trust in my project :rockout::rockout:

Cheers!!