Thread: how much rad i need to WC CPU and 2X580?

Xtreme Member

how much rad i need to WC CPU and 2X580?

maybe i'll split my main system to 2 :
    1. workstation - based on my SR-2.
    2.gaming - based on the new Maximus Gene with IB cpu.

i got the lian li V600F case, and i got 2 possible rad config:

1X180MM , or 2X120MM.

what i want to WC is the CPU, and 2XGTX580.

this is possible? what do you think?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

EVGA SR-2 , 2X Intel Xeon 5620, 12X2GB Corsair Domminator 1600 MHZ CL7
    3X GTX580, Corsair AX1200, Lian Li PC-Z70
    3X Dell U2311H, Liliput 7" touchscreen monitor

Xtreme Mentor
    Will either cool a cpu and two GTX580's? Maybe, but it depends on what your goal is. Honestly, I think for a IB and two GTX580's you should be looking at the equivalent of a quad rad. If you can tolerate higher temps on your GTX580's I would separate the two unless you can get enough rad to cover the entire setup. When I was running two GTX580's and a SB chip, I was using three triple rads, although that was overkill, and I had just one loop. In your situation you will probably need to go external to get enough rad space to cover the IB and two GTX580's. The IB get hot and so do the GTX580's, especially if you plan on cooling the VRM's. If you are not looking for temps in the 40c range on the GTX580's, then a single triple could do it, but I would look to see if you could do two dual 120's or a single quad rad for the setup.
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

Quote Originally Posted by arkadur View Post
    maybe i'll split my main system to 2 :
    1. workstation - based on my SR-2.
    2.gaming - based on the new Maximus Gene with IB cpu.

i got the lian li V600F case, and i got 2 possible rad config:

1X180MM , or 2X120MM.

what i want to WC is the CPU, and 2XGTX580.

this is possible? what do you think?
    TDP of one 580 is roughly 244 watts.
    TDP of IB -- 65-95 watts depending.

So I'll use a nice number like ~580 watts as a total for purposes of calculating heat generation.

Each 1x120 of rad can efficiently dissipate 100-150 watts of heat with a decent DeltaT depending on the rad and how fast your willing to run the fans (noise). Not all of the TDP will be transferred to water so the calculations are rough.

Using the high of 150 watts per 1x120 rad, a 4x120 rad would theoretically work for your setup with a decent deltaT. Don't expect to be running your fans at 500rpm though... Or cram it in there and live with a higher deltaT

Net-net, 1x180 or 2x120 will not be enough rad for two GPU's & that processor (IMHO).

Hope this helps.

EDIT: If you plan to OC -- things get MUCH hotter. Those TDP numbers are stock. Add voltage and...
    Last edited by cmdprompt; 05-11-2012 at 07:25 AM.

Xtreme Guru
    cmdprompt: you miss fact that most people with LC O/C their HW as well. Thus have much higher TDPs because of O/C & increased voltages. I have to admit though that if it's not some folding/crunching in plain games HW isn't fully loaded, but still somehow to base expectations on TDP @stock seems a bit wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by churchy View Post
    cmdprompt: you miss fact that most people with LC O/C their HW as well. Thus have much higher TDPs because of O/C & increased voltages. I have to admit though that if it's not some folding/crunching in plain games HW isn't fully loaded, but still somehow to base expectations on TDP @stock seems a bit wrong.
    Hey Churchy, I think you missed the last line in my post. You are correct that I originally forgot to point out that TDP's are much higher if you OC, but added that about 5 minutes after posting originally. I usually base my TDP #'s on 150% of stock TDP when calculating.

Xtreme Guru
    150% sounds reasonable. As in high overclock with rised voltages can easily double TDP, but then again there goes partial load under games, no folding/crunching/stress tests, bringing numbers down.

To be fair the the OP, he could probably use the 120.2 w/ some AP 29s as long as he wasn't worried about 60 to 70 degree temps on everything. I've never tried to put that much on that little of rad, but I have had a 4870 and a Q9550 on a single 120 Black Ice Extreme with a pair of Deltas on it. temps weren't cold, but still a bit better than stock...

Xtreme Member
    I've got a core only 4870 and an old phenom on a 120.2 I wouldn't suggest much more without going for some major fans.

Xtreme Member
    thanks for the comments.

what do you think about stack two 180MM rad's?

based on this pic, from the LC WL at Miguelnotrabajo project:

what will be the best config with 2 180 rads? (3 fans? 2 fans and shroud)

i need a thin config, the 580's isnt the shortest man on the block..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Guru
    Whatever config you gonna choose from rads, i highly suggest to not sandwitch them. Just and only in separate mounting places with separate airflow intakes. (your mention of 3 fans after 2 rads made me believe that you wish to try rad sandwitch). Rad sandwitches are like high-fpi rads (_less_ effective then one normal rad at low to middle fan rpm-s, more with high rpm fans (but even with powerful fans - less effective then two separate airflow rads). I doubt 180mm fans being still quiet at high enough rpms too.

Xtreme Member
    180mm rads are very good, but as any other rads, don't sandwich them, not worth it.

Xtreme Addict
    A 2x120mm rad would be fine if you aren't expecting a 5c delta air to water, it would work really well to limit the maximum temps you would see versus stock coolers. So instead of the VGA's while gaming hitting 75-90c they would probably not break 50c.

You cannot throw around 150w+ per cpu and 250w + per gpu, thats just not realistic outside of synthetic benchmarks.

CPU while gaming will rarely be loaded over 50% (for Quad cores) and GPU's will depend on game and if there are SLI profiles / load / scaling and then on top of that you need to also bear in mind that of that VGA TDP is much lower if you use non full cover blocks.

Xtreme Member
    ok,
    i get it.
    i'll find another solution.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]