Thread: Corrosion - Nickel, chrome? PT nuke -PHN or silver?

Xtreme Member

Corrosion - Nickel, chrome? PT nuke -PHN or silver?

I have a couple of questions about potential corrosion issues and what biocide is considered "safe" nowadays.
    First, would there be any corrosion issues with using the following:

Chrome plated waterblocks
    Nickel plated waterblocks
    Brass fittings
    Full copper radiator (Alphacool UT60)

Second, ever since the whole EK nickel issue, I feel that silver may not be the best biocide to use anymore.
    I have also had personal experience with using a silver kill coil, in a loop containing only nickel plated blocks and brass fittings.
    The silver coil currently looks like this:

That particular loop contains only distilled water, nickel EK blocks, and brass fittings.
    The coil looks like it rusted or something, the loop is about 4-5 months old.
    Radiators and waterblocks were flushed and cleaned before use.

I have heard that the "regular" PT nuke can cause issues due to the copper sulfate.
    Is PT -PHN a better alternative?
    Would pure distilled + -PHN cause any issues with chrome plate blocks, copper radiator, nickel plated blocks, and brass fittings?
    Gigabyte z68 UD3
    2600k @ stock
    8Gb G Skill
    2x eVGA GTX 680 @ stock
    Intel 320 80Gb
    Intel 320 120Gb x2
    Intel 320 160Gb x2

Copper and silver works pretty good but soon as you go to nickel, it is best to use what the company recommends, as they know what their blocks are made of and what will corrode them.

Xtreme Member
    Pure silver isn't what would corrode in a copper and nickel loop. That is probably not a pure silver coil. See if you can wipe that stuff off, maybe its radiator flux.

EK's nickel issue IS NOT caused by people using mixed metals in their loop or additives. EK used substandard plating thickness and horrid prep work on their blocks. They were selling blocks that already had fissures in the nickel plating.
    Last edited by earthwormjim; 05-11-2012 at 04:50 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by earthwormjim View Post
    Pure silver isn't what would corrode in a copper and nickel loop. That is probably not a pure silver coil. See if you can wipe that stuff off, maybe its radiator flux.

EK's nickel issue IS NOT caused by people using mixed metals in their loop or additives. EK used substandard plating thickness and horrid prep work on their blocks. They were selling blocks that already had fissures in the nickel plating.
    +1

I had 2 EK GTX580 block that coroded near the center and in the gpu channels but i NEVER had any other issue in my whole WC life with distilled and PTnuke.
    BTTB - Gigabyte Z87X-OC - WCed I7 4770k - 2x8gb Ballistix 1600mhz - Zotac GTX 780
    Asus Xonar Pheobus - OS -> Toshiba Q 256gb - Games -> 2x Agility 4 256gb Raid0
    Corsair HX850 - Tecnofront HWD BenchTable - Asus VE278Q 5760x1080

Serveur - Asus Z77m PRO - 2500K - NH-C12P - 4x4gb G.Skill Ares 1600mhz
    Agility 4 128gb - Corsair CX430M - 1TB Black - 2TB green - 2TB Red

KatPat - Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 - FX-8320 - PH-TC14CS - 2x4gb Viper 1600mhz - GTS 450
    Samsung Evo 120gb - Corsair HX750 - Bitfenix Survivor White - Asus VE247H

Xtreme Addict
    Deposition plating. Saw it before in the past. Copper ions in loop plate onto the silver, it's harmless.