Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Silver and nickel don't mix???

Quote Originally Posted by eXa View Post
    Ive ran tap water with NO additive and just plain copper blocks for probably closer to a couple of years now... nothing growing so far. Last time i changed water was january, before that, maybe last summer...
    when i tried that my loop went a year and half then the pump died and it was coated in a thin coat of algae, and affter a soak in isopropyl it worked. (i dont trust it to work anymore though so im staying with my cpx pro)

so it is back to pt nuke ph+ for me.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan92084 View Post
    i don't think there are galaxies/auroras in your premixes but it still sounds nice.
    Smile

Xtreme Addict
    The galvanic table is for metal to metal contact in atmosphere under varying humid/salt conditions, and does not apply to oxidation/reduction for ions in solution. For metals that ionize, separated by a solution, it is oxidation/reduction reactions, ie SEP that governs corrosiveness.

For a nickel plated block and a silver coil in solution, there is no direct metal to metal contact, so again only SEP (standard electrode potential) applies. Silver is +0.8, nickel is -0.2, copper is +.2. Nickel will lose its electron (oxidation corrosion) to Silver (AG) that is not debatable. The only unknown is silver ions are only at ? 20 ppb concentration or so from a silver coil, and ? if enough to cause corrosion at significant rate, but no doubt corrosion/erosion of nickel will occur faster than if silver or copper were not used.

But again why I stick with just all copper, and only nickel plated fittings. I have never seen nickel plating corrosion of my fittings with pt nuke but there are not stagnant flow areas in fittings, but water blocks have localized areas of stagnant flow around seals (where narrow place between plexi and nickel), where ions can concentrate and cause localized crevice corrosion (again from oxidation/reduction reactions governed by SEP), which is what testing showed causes/starts the problem, and is evident in many of testing pics, +/- again subpar prepping and plating.

Which is why I just use all copper, pt nuke, and nickel fittings, then dont have to worry about anything corroding. Except my nickel fittings that are attached to radiator that do seem to corrode/erode some after 5+ years of use.
    Last edited by rge; 05-08-2012 at 07:21 AM.

wouldent an ion charge reaction lead to positive moving to negative so the silver would migrate the nickle and even then you need the solution to be at about 70c. it would not really cause a problem unless you had a silver platted block, but i am not aware of any silver plated blocks with acrylic tops. i can only recall the EK one that was for biocide.

then there is also the problem with brass since it runs about -0.4 on the sep with tin at -1.4, so you rad would get the inside of your rad coated with the loose ions before anything else.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400

Xtreme Addict
    Any basic science book or any decent website on corrosion....quote from one "Current flows through the electrolyte to the more noble metal (cathode) and the less noble (anode) metal will corrode". So nickel, less noble than silver, will corrode (lose an electron). Also regarding need for solution temp of 70C ?????, maybe if your electroplating with time constraints, but heat just accelerates corrosion, it still occurs at our water temps. But since we cant even agree on basic physical/electrical concepts.
    Last edited by rge; 05-08-2012 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rge View Post
    Any basic science book or any decent website on corrosion....quote from one "Current flows through the electrolyte to the more noble metal (cathode) and the less noble (anode) metal will corrode". So nickel, less noble than silver, will corrode (lose an electron). Also regarding need for solution temp of 70C ?????, maybe if your electroplating with time constraints, but heat just accelerates corrosion, it still occurs at our water temps. But since we cant even agree on basic physical/electrical concepts.
    i guess im not as up on this as i thought i was.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12