Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows 8 dropping DVD support

Xtreme Member
    i've been using KM player for awhile now.. it plays every file format i have (including mkv) without having to install any codec packs. got that and VLC installed but i use KM primarily.
    GIGABYTE G1.Sniper
    I7 950---12GB F3-12800CL9T-12GBSR--GTX 460 hawk talon attack--300gb velociraptor
    PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
    i7 2600k---GTX560 ti 2gb----16gb mushkin 997005---120gb mushkin chronos deluxe
    PC power & cooling 750 quad

Xtreme Enthusiast
    My "new" computer doesn't even have a CD/DVD drive. Nor have I found the desire for it.
    Computer: Intel i7-4770k | Asus Z87 Maximus VI Impact | 240GB Corsair Force GT | 240GB OCZ Vertex 3 | 16GB G.Skill Trident X 2400MHz | EVGA GTX690 Hydro Copper 4GB | Corsair AX850 | Steelseries 7G | Logitech G500 | 27" 2560x1440 Overlord Tempest X270OC 120Hz S-IPS
    Cooling: Koolance 380i CPU block | Swiftech Hydro Copper GPU block | EK X3 150 Reservoir | EK X-TOP D5 PWM drive | PrimoChill PrimoFlex PRO LRT Bloodshed red | Alphacool NexXxos 240mm XT45 | Alphacool NexXxos 280mm UT60 | Bitspower Fittings | 4x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 120mm | 2x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 140mm | Lamptron FC-5V2
    Case: Custom modded matte black Caselabs Mercury S3

Xtreme Addict
    A separate Media Center upgrade isn't bad but if their going to go ahead and make it a separate addon, then at least go all the way and include a Blu-ray licence option as well. With Sony charging as much as they are for the licence we were never going to get it as part of windows, now that Microsoft is going this rout for the DVD licence it seems like a missed opportunity to not also offer Blu-ray support.

Also I read that the DVD support will be only inside of the Media Center, leaving normal Windows Media Player still unable to play DVDs.
    EVGA X58 Classified
    Intel i7 965
    Corsair Dominator 1600mhz 3x2gb
    Nvidia GTX 295

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 3lfk1ng View Post
    My "new" computer doesn't even have a CD/DVD drive. Nor have I found the desire for it.
    i left that option out too since all the drives i have are ide and there are no ide ports on the board and to be honest i very rarely use it.. i have a usb dvd drive if need be.
    GIGABYTE G1.Sniper
    I7 950---12GB F3-12800CL9T-12GBSR--GTX 460 hawk talon attack--300gb velociraptor
    PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
    i7 2600k---GTX560 ti 2gb----16gb mushkin 997005---120gb mushkin chronos deluxe
    PC power & cooling 750 quad

Quote Originally Posted by bearcatrp View Post
    Wonder if VLC still be able to play a DVD.
    No worries, it will. They're not dropping DVD support, they're dropping video DVD playback support. The first is with regards to reading from a DVD drive as a device (data), the second goes with decoding certain proprietary data stream formats (video). VLC will still be able to read raw data from DVDs and since it does its own parsing and decoding, you're fine so long as the copy protection doesn't get in the way.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtremely Retired OC'er
    At codecs...
    http://www.windows7codecs.com/

Why i need windows 8?
    ?
    Any why they move so fast to make windows 8? Windows 7 aint good enugh?

MicroSoft will allways says "we need money!"
    First make performance drops with windows 7, then make better windows, saying get win8, now!, Win8 is better in all things, blah blah. Once again..

I am Xtreme
    So far, I have not been a great fan of Windows 8. Invisible buttons on the screen corners, Metro UI, are just a few of the annoyances. If using the Metro UI, you have to make a screen link to shutdown the PC.

I enjoy DVD's myself and will use them in Windows 8 with 3rd party help. I also will mod the registry to use the normal legacy desktop.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Just to be sure, does this mean a drop of DVD support on Windows Media Player (Being able to play them, dealing with encryption and all that), or simply the removal of the the bundled MPEG2 decoder?

If it's the later then it's far from an issue. As someone else mentioned GPU drivers come with their own MPEG2 decoders, and you have more than one free alternative out there. But if it's the former then it is an issue for the average user, who will have to resort to a different player to watch DVDs. And for them that usually means paying for a proprietary one rather than using free players like Media Player Classic: Home Cinema (Which is, IMO, the best by far).

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pontos View Post
    Just to be sure, does this mean a drop of DVD support on Windows Media Player (Being able to play them, dealing with encryption and all that), or simply the removal of the the bundled MPEG2 decoder?
    No, everything is not that bad. I already wrote here about it: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...=1#post5097644
    So, windows 8 plays DVD movies. it is only WMP11 does not. It can see content of dvd disks.
    Speaking of codecs - now all decoding done by contemporary hardware, and I think its price reflects any licenses. So why pay twice?
    And, we will be able to install 3rd party software codecs as we do it in all previous windows versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Electroneng
    So far, I have not been a great fan of Windows 8. Invisible buttons on the screen corners, Metro UI, are just a few of the annoyances. If using the Metro UI, you have to make a screen link to shutdown the PC.
    It has everything that other versions of windows have and more. I got used to it just in few days. And, you don't need any additional shortcut. Say, Win+I gives you all you need.
    All it resembles they days when people were comparing their WinXP with newer versions Yet now WinXP interface looks so shabby
    Last edited by SEA; 05-10-2012 at 09:15 AM.
    Windows 8.1
    Asus M4A87TD EVO + Phenom II X6 1055T @ 3900MHz + HD3850
    APUs

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 3lfk1ng View Post
    What about blu ray? Great for backups, not very cheap but price per gb is slightly better than with burn able DVD.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12