Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690 Reviews

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Okay...but would it be so bad to show the results of several runs, calculate a jitter index for each one and then make an average? At least that would be something. Not to mention this issue at all is no solution either. Cards are slapped/praised for power, noise etc. but not for this, when it is the most important of all metrics (in conjunction with fps) with AFR configurations.

Xtreme Guru
    I'm not saying we WOULD NOT do it. I am saying that we are still determining the CORRECT way to do it.

SLC
    Quote Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
    I'm not saying that they have to be consistent with other reviews. What I am saying is that the results are not repeatable. Sometimes microstutter is clearly there. Other times, in the same scene, frametime monitoring doesn't seem to pick it up and when it does, it is never, ever as clearly defined as in the review linked above.
    The testing I've done for myself on different crossfire setups has always been extremely consistent. I don't even do anything special. Choose a save game, start fraps recording by frame times, move the mouse a bunch, stop fraps. Repeat this process as many times as I want. The results are extremely similar from run to run every time. On my system anyhow. What does differ A LOT is microstutter from game to game. Some games are not so bad (crysis). Some games are terrible (metro).

Xtreme Mentor

Xtreme Member
    it beats the CF'ed 7970s in every test. Thats not good for AMD...
    PC:
    MOBO: Maximus VI Extreme
    CPU: Core i7-4770k
    RAM: 2x4gb Dominator Platinum 2133
    GPU: GeForce GTX Titan

Greetings from Brazil!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickenfeed View Post
    Why the hell not? Its simple deductive reasoning. 2 680s out perform 2 7970s more than not while using less power. Even if they managed to get 2 7970s at full clocks on a multi gpu board it wouldn't have an undisputed performance lead. Given the power draw thats not going to happen, not unless they decide to out some rediculous thermo nuclear 3 8pin monstrosity... AMD simply don't have the wiggle room on the power envelope that Nvidia has with GK104. Is it so crazy to stipulate that if AMD do release a dual Tahiti board that it will A) under perform the GTX 690 and B) cost less due to A?

Whats so unreasonable in that train of thought?
    Just don't count your chickens before they hatch.
    Amazing how certain retail GTX680s seem to be losing to stock 7970... Leads me to believe review GTX690s are golden samples.
    AMD has quite a bit of wiggle room with 7970 as far as voltage and powertune limits go, add in process maturity and some secret sauce...
    That huge performance difference you are talking about could be quite thin or not there at all.

Quote Originally Posted by LeoAndrade View Post
    it beats the CF'ed 7970s in every test. Thats not good for AMD...
    What reviews have you been looking at?
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

amd really doesnt seem to care, they think hey our product is slower and has inferior drivers so its 10€ cheaper then nvidia ye buy that
    Wait what... ?

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEC911 View Post
    What reviews have you been looking at?
    I'd ask yourself the same question.

This looks like the best graphics card ever made to me, though I cant afford one ... yet.

It will make a great choice for my next purchase if the price comes down in the next gen.

Xtreme Member
    This card just has no competition, ATI need something to beat 680 by 10% or so .... fast and then force 680 price down so sli becomes 800$

Xtreme Addict
    The card in neweeg for just $1200

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130781
    Gaming rig;
    ASUS RAMPAGE IV BLACK EDITION
    I7-4390K
    G.SKILL Trident X 16GB 2400
    Intel 530 240GB
    2x Asus GTX780
    Corsair AX1200
    HP ZR30w 30
    Win 8.1 pro
    Sound rig;
    Auzen X-Fi H.T. HD --> Yulong D100 MKII --> D-7100

Xtreme Member
    Lol that's just ridiculous!!

Core i5 2500K @ 4.8GHz 1.31v [L041C123] | Gigabyte P67-UD3P-B3 | Corsair H60 | 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3-1866 8-9-8-24-1T | Samsung F3 1TB |
    ASUS GTX 670 2GB| PCP&C Silencer 500W | Antec Three Hundred "Blacked Out" | Dell Ultrasharp 23" U2311H IPS 1920x1080

ATI looks like they are in trouble, because the GTX 690 beats CF 7970 and the 7990 is nowhere to be seen.

Anyway, I like how the card runs as fast as two 680's in SLI and the bonus part is it uses less power than the GTX 590 and SLI'ed 680 which is something NVIDIA hasn't done for a while.
    AMD Threadripper 12 core 1920x CPU OC at 4Ghz | ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme X399 motherboard | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 RAM | Gigabyte 11GB GTX 1080 Ti Aorus Xtreme GPU | SilverStone Strider Platinum 1000W Power Supply | Crucial 1050GB MX300 SSD | 4TB Western Digital HDD | 60" Samsung JU7000 4K UHD TV at 3840x2160

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by iboomalot View Post
    the 680s are sold out too and it was release 6 weeks ago.
    GTX 680 in stock here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125422

"If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government"
    -- Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew LB View Post
    oos when i just checked it, must have only had a couple in
    asus p5q pro p45
    e8400 @ 3.6
    g.skill 4 x 2 gb ddr2 1066
    gigabtye 4850

Xtreme Addict
    My local Microcenter here in Tustin, CA has one in stock. Local pickup only tho. http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0388486

"If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government"
    -- Alexander Hamilton

Xtreme Guru
    Amazing how certain retail GTX680s seem to be losing to stock 7970...
    Say what?

I've reviewed retail GTX 680 cards and their performance is no different from the reference cards. That's to say in most benchmarks they are head and shoulders above the HD 7970 (minus Shogun: TW since the last patch).

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrono Detector View Post
    ATI looks like they are in trouble, because the GTX 690 beats CF 7970 and the 7990 is nowhere to be seen.

Anyway, I like how the card runs as fast as two 680's in SLI and the bonus part is it uses less power than the GTX 590 and SLI'ed 680 which is something NVIDIA hasn't done for a while.
    i think a good battle will happen once amd gets working on their drivers. a great review by hardocp showed power consumption in each test, and the few games that 680 killed on, the 7970 was using only 75% of its typical power draw.
    also at eyefinity resolutions the difference is quite close and might be able to shift into amds favor with driver updates. anyone who needs 2 of these gps for anything less than 2560x1600 is just wasting them really.

but they did officially dethrone amd with having the fastest gpu (sadly at 1200 newegg dollars giving it the WORST price to perf ratio of all cards in the world, lol)
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by bhavv View Post
    I'd ask yourself the same question.
    Only have had time to read through a few reviews but anandtech was one that I know I saw at least half the benches shows 7970CF beating GTX690, a few games are neck and neck and half the games that the 7970CF loses handily CF is borked for whatever reason.

Say what?

I've reviewed retail GTX 680 cards and their performance is no different from the reference cards. That's to say in most benchmarks they are head and shoulders above the HD 7970 (minus Shogun: TW since the last patch).
    Didn't read Damien's GTX690 review?
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

Xtreme Addict
    Just don't count your chickens before they hatch.
    Amazing how certain retail GTX680s seem to be losing to stock 7970... Leads me to believe review GTX690s are golden samples.
    AMD has quite a bit of wiggle room with 7970 as far as voltage and powertune limits go, add in process maturity and some secret sauce...
    That huge performance difference you are talking about could be quite thin or not there at all.
    I'd re read what I said there... I'm not talking about the capabilities of a single Tahiti core. I'm talking about 2 on one pcb. AMD aren't miracle workers and won't magically reduce power draw by 150 watts while maintaining full performance. There are some efficiency gains to be had by binning low voltage cores and with using 1 board vs 2 due to overlapping logic but expecting 2 full clocked 7970s under 375 watts isn't realistic, ergo AMD won't have a product that can out perform the GTX 690 with any dual Tahiti varrient.
    Last edited by Chickenfeed; 05-04-2012 at 06:44 AM.
    Feedanator 7.0
    CASE:R5|PSU:850G2|CPU:i7 6850K|MB:x99 Ultra|RAM:8x4 2666|GPU:980TI|SSD:BPX256/Evo500|SOUND:2i4/HS8
    LCD:XB271HU|OS:Win10|INPUT:G900/K70 |HS/F:H115i

Xtreme Addict
    Say what?

Heads and shoulders being 5-10%, according to techpowerup, and worse performance in 99 percentile frame according to techreport?
    E7200 @ 3.4 ; 7870 GHz 2 GB
    Intel's atom is a terrible chip.

Xtreme Guru
    Only have had time to read through a few reviews but anandtech was one that I know I saw at least half the benches shows 7970CF beating GTX690, a few games are neck and neck and half the games that the 7970CF loses handily CF is borked for whatever reason.

Didn't read Damien's GTX690 review?
    You didn't say SLI...

As for the other reviews, they neglect to mention a number of things.

As Anandtech's and our review pointed out Crossfire is still suffering from some massive bugs. Black screens in Witcher 2 EE, a lack of scaling in Skyrim, etc, etc. To me, that's inexcusable from a solution that's been around for almost 5 months now. Other than a small issue with flickering in Wargame which has already been fixed, a relatively new architecture from NVIDIA boasts significantly better stability. To me and most other gamers, that's more important than a few percent framerate difference.

One thing I DO want to say in AMD's defense is the absolutely WRONG conclusion many of the websites have come to regarding Crossfire and Batman: AC. Crossfire does not work in the BUILT IN BENCHMARK which launches through a secondary rendering path but it works perfectly in-game. Yet another reason why sites should avoid built-in benchmarks.....

I'm thinking scaling will improve dramatically as NVIDIA's driver team kicks things into gear because at this point, in many cases, a GTX 680 SLI / GTX 690 setup doesn't scale as well as it should.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by cegras View Post
    Heads and shoulders being 5-10%, according to techpowerup, and worse performance in 99 percentile frame according to techreport?
    I go by my numbers in-game numbers (12% overall & 15% where it counts) in addition to feature sets. So yes. Head and shoulders.
    Last edited by SKYMTL; 05-04-2012 at 06:53 AM.

The PhotoCHOPer
    TigerDirect Canada is listing the cards (http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...rkey=E145-0690) but my Rep says end of the month for stock If anyone gets one of these I'll trade you for GTX680s
    Silver Bullet VII

Corsair 750D | Corsair AX 850W | Core i7 2600K | Thermalright Venomous X | Asus Maximus IV Extreme B3
    eVGA GTX680 SLI | Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB | Intel 530 240GB | 2 x WD RED 3TB in RAID 1 | LG BluRay | 3 x 2413WFP

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickenfeed View Post
    I'd re read what I said there... I'm not talking about the capabilities of a single Tahiti core. I'm talking about 2 on one pcb. AMD aren't miracle workers and won't magically reduce power draw by 150 watts while maintaining full performance. There are some efficiency gains to be had by binning low voltage cores and with using 1 board vs 2 due to overlapping logic but expecting 2 full clocked 7970s under 375 watts isn't realistic, ergo AMD won't have a product that can out perform the GTX 690 with any dual Tahiti varrient.
    keep in mind that amd came out months earlier, so 7970s could have worse yields and needed the extra volts to ensure clock rates, which then means more power. or theyve been binning the good cores just for the 7990.

looking at the TPU power consumption charts. the 7970 is the same as 680. and the 690 was using MORE than even the 590. i think its clearly possible for amd to fit 2 full sized chips into a 7990
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrono Detector View Post
    Actually, as good as the GTX 690 is, AMD arent going to be in any trouble due to how expensive the thing is. They will still sell cards due to their recent price cuts on the 7950 / 7970.

Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    i think its clearly possible for amd to fit 2 full sized chips into a 7990
    It is possible, but it will be a lot harder to do with 7970 GPUs than it was with GTX 680 GPUs, as the latter are cooler and consume less power.

I dont think a 2x8 pin board would be enough for a 7990, it would need 2x8 pin and 1x6 pin to sufficiently power it with enough headroom to bring the clockspeeds up to competitive levels with the GTX 690.
    Last edited by Mungri; 05-04-2012 at 07:30 AM.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast