Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690 Reviews

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by boxleitnerb View Post
    @SKYHTML:
    Aren't new profiles installed automatically by default?

As I said: ONLY if you have NVIDIA Update installed.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    As it is selected by default when installing a driver and any computer greenhorn would just click next, this seems like a non-issue to me. Anyone else knows how to get the profiles.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by boxleitnerb View Post
    Let's be honest here: SLI is not perfect either. There still is the water bug in Skyrim. Or remember the flickering bug in Crysis 2 in nanovision mode? SLI doesn't work in several games like Age of Conan or Settlers 7. And of course the stuttering. Some problems are caused by the applications themselves (in conjunction with SLI), true. That doesn't change the fact that these problems exist.
    Nuts I forgot about the Crysis 2 glitching. My problem was with 3 panels spanned though, don't know if I noticed the Nanovision bug.

Agreed there aren't perfect drivers in pc gaming, but using SLi is nowhere close to an "ordeal" as was noted.
    Intel 990x/Corsair H80 /Asus Rampage III
    Coolermaster HAF932 case
    Patriot 3 X 2GB
    EVGA GTX Titan SC
    Dell 3008

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Luka_Aveiro View Post
    Wasn't the discussion about CF/SLI drivers...???
    No, it was about statistically insignificant anecdotes.
    E7200 @ 3.4 ; 7870 GHz 2 GB
    Intel's atom is a terrible chip.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by cegras View Post
    No, it was about statistically insignificant anecdotes.
    Then why were you giving importance to insignificant anecdotes? Emotion much...?
    Are we there yet?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Luka_Aveiro View Post
    Then why were you giving importance to insignificant anecdotes? Emotion much...?
    ?

I don't understand what you're saying. I'm asking for data (numbers) and significance tests of what Rollo claims, then showing my own anecdotes to give an example of why generalization is a bad idea.
    E7200 @ 3.4 ; 7870 GHz 2 GB
    Intel's atom is a terrible chip.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by cegras View Post
    ?

I don't understand what you're saying. I'm asking for data (numbers) and significance tests of what Rollo claims, then showing my own anecdotes to give an example of why generalization is a bad idea.
    I agree with generalization being a bad idea, but I didn't agree with your earlier saying. Anyway, move along
    Are we there yet?

Xtreme Member
    @ rollo

you're rollo from AT?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by tifosi View Post
    @ rollo

you're rollo from AT?
    I am "rollo" or "jethro" wherever I post. ( mostly "rollo" though)
    Coolermaster HAF932 case
    Patriot 3 X 2GB
    EVGA GTX Titan SC
    Dell 3008

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I am "rollo" or "jethro" wherever I post. ( mostly "rollo" though)
    Your old pals don't say many kind things about you...I just mostly read there, one of the many things I read.

On topic... I don't know... I've used both... Nvidia drivers gave me problems with 2 diff cards... My friends had nvidia cards...but buggy software was a real pain. With ATI not so much pain really we were'nt even using sli, nor do we use cf. Does not mean others had no problems with ATI, but just that all 3 of us changed camps and our experience is better with ATI.

I wouldn't write off AMD/ ATI just yet... 7990 may still kick up a storm. Let us hope reviewers would stay neutral and not have bones to pick.

psst... I still haven't forgiven Nvidia for dead chips thanks to substrate issues. Have a dead Lenovo here with GT130m
    Last edited by tifosi; 05-07-2012 at 04:09 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Your old pals don't say many kind things about you...I just mostly read there, one of the many things I read.

On topic... I don't know... I've used both... Nvidia drivers gave me problems with 2 diff cards... My friends had nvidia cards...but buggy software was a real pain. With ATI not so much pain really we were'nt even using sli, nor do we use cf. Does not mean others had no problems with ATI, but just that all 3 of us changed camps and our experience is better with ATI.

I wouldn't write off AMD/ ATI just yet... 7990 may still kick up a storm. Let us hope reviewers would stay neutral and not have bones to pick.

psst... I still haven't forgiven Nvidia for dead chips thanks to substrate issues. Have a dead Lenovo here with GT130m
    "My old pals" talk about me a lot more than I do them, actually, I don't talk about them at all. LOL

I prefer to discuss hardware, always have.

Trying to prove "whose drivers are better" is a fools errand, because drivers are in a constant state of being improved. (and no one's are perfect)

The 7990 will have it's work cut out for it as the 7970 base chip uses more power, gives off more heat, and offers less performance. So, it will be tough to compete on anything but price.

7970s do have good scaling when CF works, so my guess is we'll get a 7950 X 2 card that costs around $800. and is a pretty good "bargain" dual GPU card. AMD won't try to compete head to head with the 690, they can't.

You have my permission to carry on the grudge against NVIDIA for the substrate issue, but I can tell you I bear ATi no grudge for my Rage Fury MAXX that they basically declared unfixable and orphaned, my rev 1 9700 Pro that had the rolling grey bar problem on 2 of my 3 monitors at the time so I had to use a dvi to analog adaptor, or my 8500 that would not run at stock speed like so many others so I had to downclock it 25Hz. You should let go of the past- no benefit in keeping the hate alive.
    Coolermaster HAF932 case
    Patriot 3 X 2GB
    EVGA GTX Titan SC
    Dell 3008

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    "My old pals" talk about me a lot more than I do them, actually, I don't talk about them at all. LOL

I prefer to discuss hardware, always have.

Trying to prove "whose drivers are better" is a fools errand, because drivers are in a constant state of being improved. (and no one's are perfect)

The 7990 will have it's work cut out for it as the 7970 base chip uses more power, gives off more heat, and offers less performance. So, it will be tough to compete on anything but price.

7970s do have good scaling when CF works, so my guess is we'll get a 7950 X 2 card that costs around $800. and is a pretty good "bargain" dual GPU card. AMD won't try to compete head to head with the 690, they can't.

You have my permission to carry on the grudge against NVIDIA for the substrate issue, but I can tell you I bear ATi no grudge for my Rage Fury MAXX that they basically declared unfixable and orphaned, my rev 1 9700 Pro that had the rolling grey bar problem on 2 ofi my 3 monitors at the time so I had to use a dvi to analog adaptor, or my 8500 that would not run at stock speed like so many others so I had to downclock it 25Hz. You should let go of the past- no benefit in keeping the hate alive.
    Well... Perhaps you write AMD off so easily because of your green tinted glasses my friend. I wouldn't mind buying nvidia in future, just that it is hard for me to spend my hard earned money not knowing what I'll get. I'm to spend so much, and Nvidia doesn't offer much value... to me and most of my friends at the least... My last purchase was a 6970 and new one will most likely be an ATI/AMD again.

Xtreme Guru
    Well... Perhaps you write AMD off so easily because of your green tinted glasses my friend. I wouldn't mind buying nvidia in future, just that it is hard for me to spend my hard earned money not knowing what I'll get. I'm to spend so much, and Nvidia doesn't offer much value... to me and most of my friends at the least... My last purchase was a 6970 and new one will most likely be an ATI/AMD again.
    Regardless of Rollo's opinions, it is good to see him admitting his affiliation out in the open. Unlike some others that hide behind false facades in order to retain some form of legitimacy for their troll-like posts.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
    Regardless of Rollo's opinions, it is good to see him admitting his affiliation out in the open.
    After his hand was forced...
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEC911 View Post
    After his hand was forced...
    LOL Welcome to 2006 XS.
    Coolermaster HAF932 case
    Patriot 3 X 2GB
    EVGA GTX Titan SC
    Dell 3008

Xtreme Addict
    AMD does some binning of chips like NV did with the 690 and then clocks it to 1100 mhz stock

Then price it at 799 **drool**
    i7 6700K @4.8 ghz
    XSPC RayStorm (very nice block)
    Z170 Sabertooh ,, 32GB- Gskill (15-15-15-36 @3600 mhz) 1:1
    XFX-7970 with Swiftech Komodo nickel block
    Water Cooling - MO-RA3 Pro with 4 Silverstone 180mm @ 700 rpm, Twin Vario mcp-655 pumps
    Samsung 850-1TB SSD,, OCZ ZX-1250W (powerfull and silent)
    Crossfire 30" decent monitor for IPS too bad SED tech died

Docsis2.0 Docsis3.0

-- People who reject the idea that "government has a responsibility to reduce income inequality" give an average of four times more than people who accept that proposition.

Xtreme Member
    How long before we're actually able to buy gtx 670? It seems like Nvidia is having serious problems producing anything in decent numbers. Seems like it might take a while, 3 months maybe?
    Quote Originally Posted by G0ldBr1ck View Post
    The origonal spirit of overclocking was to buy cheaper hardware and tweak it to perform as good as higher end more expensive hardware. Phenom 2 fits perfectly for this task.
    so many people seem to have forgotten this.

Xtreme 3D Team
    Well if the 7970 GHz Edition is true I don't mind waiting until after it is released, then buying a normal 7970 and flashing up
    I don't think the 7990 will be 7950 x2, probably the base (1st release) model 7970 x2.

AMD has 2x GPU scaling down, 3x GPU and above is currently abysmal for the 7x00 series.

Should be a good fight for the high end soon
    Smile

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by iboomalot View Post
    AMD does some binning of chips like NV did with the 690 and then clocks it to 1100 mhz stock

Then price it at 799 **drool**
    Even with golden, hand picked, fairy dust sprinkled, unicorn-riding chips on each card, there's just no way two Tahiti XT cores can be clocked at 1.1GHz, retain the HD 7970's memory speed and still consume less than 450W.

Xtreme Addict
    Even with golden, hand picked, fairy dust sprinkled, unicorn-riding chips on each card, there's just no way two Tahiti XT cores can be clocked at 1.1GHz, retain the HD 7970's memory speed and still consume less than 450W.
    You never know. AMD might have got their hands on a supply of magic pixie dust or maybe something else.
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

I am Xtreme
    Techreport: Nvidia's GeForce GTX 690 graphics card
    Quote Originally Posted by Techreport
    I will say this: regardless of the fact that we've not accounted for the potentially positive effects of frame metering, the GeForce GTX 690 looks to be the fastest overall graphics card on the planet. The GTX 690 even does well in our latency-sensitive metrics. Although it's rarely twice as fast as a GeForce GTX 680 in terms of 99th percentile frame times, the GTX 690's overall frame latency picture, as measured in Fraps, is generally superior to the GTX 680 by a nice margin. The GTX 690 also does a nice job of minimizing those painful instances of long-latency frames, improving on the performance of the GTX 680 in that regard in solid fashion.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by rk7p5 View Post
    How long before we're actually able to buy gtx 670? It seems like Nvidia is having serious problems producing anything in decent numbers. Seems like it might take a while, 3 months maybe?
    Isn't NDA only popping off today sometime?

-PB
    -Project Sakura-
    Intel i7 860 @ 4.0Ghz, Asus Maximus III Formula, 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws X F3 (@ 1600Mhz), 2x GTX 295 Quad SLI
    2x 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 RAID 0, OCZ ZX 1000W, NZXT Phantom (Pink), Dell SX2210T Touch Screen, Windows 8.1 Pro

Koolance RP-401X2 1.1 (w/ Swiftech MCP35X), XSPC EX420, XSPC X-Flow 240, DT Sniper, EK-FC 295s (w/ RAM Blocks), Enzotech M3F Mosfet+NB/SB

Would you like some Pie?
    Seen how little power a 1.025v 7970 uses? Not much at all. They do have that ASIC for them still.
    Xeon W3520 @ 4.0Ghz ~ 3x 7970 ~ 12GB DDR3 ~ Dell U2711

Xtreme Mentor
    925 / 1375 MHz @ 1.025V : 146W (Underclocking)
    925 / 1375 MHz @ 1.174V : 187W (Default)
    1075 / 1650 MHz @ 1.174V : 215W
    1100 / 1650 MHz @ 1.225V
    1125 / 1650 MHz @ 1.250V : 255W (Overclocking)
    http://www.hardware.fr/articles/853-...ence-test.html

Would you like some Pie?
    Yeah, not much. Theirs was also running pretty warm at 80c. I found that my power draw raises quickly as the cards get over 80c due to leakage. With water cooling I took about 30-40watts off each card just from the much lower temps.
    Xeon W3520 @ 4.0Ghz ~ 3x 7970 ~ 12GB DDR3 ~ Dell U2711

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast