Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: XS WCG Hardware Giveaway IV

WCG Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobsama View Post
    How many people were involved in the i7-3770 drawing?
    Sixteen

Distributed Computing: Making the world a better place, one work-unit at a time.

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/index.jsp

WCG Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingcarcas View Post
    Sweet deal!! Hey is that
    #8 Core 2 Duo still up for grabs? I can swap that with the DDR2 i won for the A64 system.
    Funny because just a week ago i was looking at this ECS $30 mobo and $20 Athlon X2 on ebay, this A64 system is just too slow!
    Yes, cpu #8 is still available. You were the only person who requested memory #3.

Distributed Computing: Making the world a better place, one work-unit at a time.

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/index.jsp

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Plan.B View Post
    1. ASUS P5Q-EM from itznfb to brinox
    Had I somehow managed to win the 3770, I would STILL be more excited that I won this mainboard

THANKS itznfb/shoota/Plan.B!!!
    for the glory of bardob!

Fanboy of Good Products
    Ok now curiousity has the best of me. What is it about this board that has you so excited??
    Cruncher #1: EVGA Z68 FTW | i7-2600k @ 4.5 | 6GB Ram
    Cruncher #2: Supermicro Dual-Socket | 2 x 6-core Opterons | 4GB Ram
    Cruncher #3: 8-core Xserve 1,1

T400 for non-crunching

"But don't think you'll run me over - It's, ah, planting season here in Texas... and the farm is growing..." -Otis11 on crunching WCG

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by shoota View Post
    Ok now curiousity has the best of me. What is it about this board that has you so excited??
    Well my HTPC all started with an AMD Athlon X2 BE-2400 on an Asus M3A78-EM mainboard (2009ish i think) and it was supposed to be uber low power yet the best at a media center setup (hardwarewise) and then I got hooked up with a Phenom X4 940 to help out with the sluggishness of the BE-2400, which made the 780G graphics shine (for once). A year ago I bought the P8H67-M Evo and an Intel 2600k but it for whatever reason ran REALLY hot (like for serious hot) on stock cooling without any significant load. I originally RMA'ed the 2600k and its replacement ALSO ran hot as can be. So I thought it might be the board, and ended up buying an Intel Boxed board (this week) to settle my curiosity, and its also reaching into 80°C or higher when running prime95.

So im basically done with trying to figure out what is the problem with this setup, but I want to crunch with all my systems, and this one won't let me, so im getting rid of it. The P5Q-EM is the magical answer, and it will allow me to use Loonym's old Q9650 in it with my AWESOME Swiftech MCX-Vcore heatsink (http://www.swiftech.com/mcx-vcore.aspx). Mind you, Loonym's quad core should always be crunching
    for the glory of bardob!

Nanoseconds from Permaban
    Does anyone know if these are supported on the quad socket Arimas:
    3. 2x Opteron 2212 (free shipping within Europe) from anubis

Fanboy of Good Products
    Quote Originally Posted by brinox View Post
    Well my HTPC all started with an AMD Athlon X2 BE-2400 on an Asus M3A78-EM mainboard (2009ish i think) and it was supposed to be uber low power yet the best at a media center setup (hardwarewise) and then I got hooked up with a Phenom X4 940 to help out with the sluggishness of the BE-2400, which made the 780G graphics shine (for once). A year ago I bought the P8H67-M Evo and an Intel 2600k but it for whatever reason ran REALLY hot (like for serious hot) on stock cooling without any significant load. I originally RMA'ed the 2600k and its replacement ALSO ran hot as can be. So I thought it might be the board, and ended up buying an Intel Boxed board (this week) to settle my curiosity, and its also reaching into 80°C or higher when running prime95.

So im basically done with trying to figure out what is the problem with this setup, but I want to crunch with all my systems, and this one won't let me, so im getting rid of it. The P5Q-EM is the magical answer, and it will allow me to use Loonym's old Q9650 in it with my AWESOME Swiftech MCX-Vcore heatsink (http://www.swiftech.com/mcx-vcore.aspx). Mind you, Loonym's quad core should always be crunching
    Are you sure this board can handle the 24/7 load? It's not really designed for that..

Quote Originally Posted by retro77 View Post
    Does anyone know if these are supported on the quad socket Arimas:
    3. 2x Opteron 2212 (free shipping within Europe) from anubis
    Idk but why would you want to?

T400 for non-crunching

"But don't think you'll run me over - It's, ah, planting season here in Texas... and the farm is growing..." -Otis11 on crunching WCG

I thought it was faster than the ones I have, but I guess those are dual cores. I've got the quads. I can't remember what exact CPUs I have...I thought Opteron 1900's but I think I am mistaken.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Are you sure this board can handle the 24/7 load? It's not really designed for that..
    It might just be me, and I see where you're coming from, but if a board isnt designed to handle 100% load for a significant period of time, then it should not be made in the first place. I'll admit that this is a desktop board, not a mission critical piece of infrastructure. However, it not being "designed" to handle the load of the processor it supports just sounds completely counter-intuitive to the industry. Cooling and air movement will not be a problem at all. I used to run a Dell Optiplex workstation with a quad core proc in it, crunching 24/7 for months at a time!

maybe I am missing something?
    for the glory of bardob!

Fanboy of Good Products
    I thought it was faster than the ones I have, but I guess those are dual cores. I've got the quads. I can't remember what exact CPUs I have...I thought Opteron 1900's but I think I am mistaken.
    You probably have 8347s and the Arima doesn't support Istanbul processors unfortunately.

It might just be me, and I see where you're coming from, but if a board isnt designed to handle 100% load for a significant period of time, then it should not be made in the first place. I'll admit that this is a desktop board, not a mission critical piece of infrastructure. However, it not being "designed" to handle the load of the processor it supports just sounds completely counter-intuitive to the industry. Cooling and air movement will not be a problem at all. I used to run a Dell Optiplex workstation with a quad core proc in it, crunching 24/7 for months at a time!

maybe I am missing something?
    You're probably right. I think I just always err on the side of over doing it. I say crunch it till it dies. 775 boards are cheap nowadays anyway

T400 for non-crunching

Xtreme Cruncher

You're probably right. I think I just always err on the side of over doing it. I say crunch it till it dies. 775 boards are cheap nowadays anyway
    might be worth putting some makeshift HSs on it? if you have any old HSs around...

24 hour prime stable? Please, I'm 24/7/365 WCG stable!

So you can do Furmark, Can you Grid???

Fanboy of Good Products
    That's always a good idea, especially around the mosfet area of the cpu.

T400 for non-crunching

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Otis11 View Post
    might be worth putting some makeshift HSs on it? if you have any old HSs around...
    Do you mean on the chipset(s) and/or vregs surrounding the processor? I think thats a worthy idea however I will have to find myself some replacement sinks for all of that, because I don't have any spares.

I always treat contact surfaces with Arctic Silver 5 however!
    for the glory of bardob!

Xtreme Cruncher
    Do you mean on the chipset(s) and/or vregs surrounding the processor? I think thats a worthy idea however I will have to find myself some replacement sinks for all of that, because I don't have any spares.

I always treat contact surfaces with Arctic Silver 5 however!
    I mean on the Vregs. Crunching 100% load doesn't change the load on the chipset significantly, but many vregs can't handle 100% load 24/7.

24 hour prime stable? Please, I'm 24/7/365 WCG stable!

So you can do Furmark, Can you Grid???

Xtreme Cruncher
    Looks like i should have jumped in that P965 drawing Doh! Off to ebay for a board.
    i3-8100 | GTX 970
    Ryzen 5 1600 | RX 580
    Assume nothing; Question everything

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It's like 2006 in here.

Thanks guys. Now I need to go frantically dig for that DP 771 socket board and see if it works.

Xtreme Cruncher
    That was fast shipping shoota!
    i3-8100 | GTX 970
    Ryzen 5 1600 | RX 580
    Assume nothing; Question everything

Xtreme Member
    The 3770 is crunching

It still needs a better cooler as it is running a little hot now(65-70c). And a nice small case to fit it all in to. That can all be done later. I just had to get it up and crunching ASAP.

With every thing at auto it is now running at 3.7 GHz and uses just 100 watts.

Thanks again, Blake.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rob_B; 05-24-2013 at 10:38 AM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_B View Post
    The 3770 is crunching

It still needs a better cooler as it is running a little hot now(65-70c). And a nice small case to fit it all in to. That can all be done later. I just had to get it up and crunching ASAP.

With every thing at auto it is now running at 3.7 GHz and uses just 100 watts.

Thanks again, Blake.
    Sweet!!! That was fast
    Last edited by Blake; 05-16-2012 at 08:59 AM.

Cruncher 1 | 2600K @ 4.5ghz | 2x GTX 690 |
    Cruncher 2 | Skulltrail @ 4.0ghz | XFX 7970 |

Boy, that's a cute little sucker.

Xtreme Cruncher
    itx is sweeet
    Member of XS WCG since 2006-11-25

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by anubis View Post
    itx is sweeet
    +1+1

I really wana my my next crucher like a 6core w/ht m-itx HTPC

I'm guessing no overclocking on that lil guy

I'm guessing no overclocking on that lil guy
    sense its minus the k flavor im guessing not so much

so im lookin for a s775 quadcore to stick in that mobo that i won im gona be giving to my little brother and its gona be cruncher

anyone have a decent one for sale? lookin to spend about 70$ if that.. q6600 would be good.

figured id post here sense it was relevant.

EDIT:
    and some decent looking ddr2 with fun heatspreaders, 1066 flavor, at least 4gb favorably 8gb..
    Last edited by NKrader; 05-16-2012 at 05:22 PM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast