Thread: Help me pick a good wireless router

Help me pick a good wireless router

I just had to get rid of my old Linksys WRT54G and I want to get a good wireless router to replace it. I don't know much about what is available so I need some help. Can anyone make a few recommendations?

I want something that is going to provide good wireless range and be able to handle 15-ish devices. I would prefer someting with external antennas incase I need to use a better antenna to cover more area.

Xtreme Addict
    I highly recommend the Asus NT-56U. I went through several high end routers before arriving at this cheaper one yet this one blows the socks off of the more expensive ones. Solid as a rock too and regular firmware updates.
    7820X | Asrock X299 Taichi XE | Gigabyte 1080 Ti Xtreme | 32GB Memoriez | Corsair HXi1000 | 500GB 960 Evo

the best one right now is the asus n900. it also has full ipv6 support so even though it costs a little more you do not need custom firmware for it to work more than a couple of years.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Quote Originally Posted by Budwise View Post
    I highly recommend the Asus NT-56U. I went through several high end routers before arriving at this cheaper one yet this one blows the socks off of the more expensive ones. Solid as a rock too and regular firmware updates.
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    the best one right now is the asus n900. it also has full ipv6 support so even though it costs a little more you do not need custom firmware for it to work more than a couple of years.
    Thanks for the recommendations. I moved to a new house and had trouble getting internet installed so I couldn't respond. Since you both recommended the Asus routers I went ahead and got the N900. It is currently in transit from Newegg. I'll post back with my results. Hopefully it covers my new house without needing to replace the antennas with more powerful ones.