Thread: Samsung Ends Nokia’s 14-Year Run as Biggest Handset Maker

Hybrid View

Xtreme Addict

Samsung Ends Nokia’s 14-Year Run as Biggest Handset Maker

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...ne-vendor.html

Samung overtook Nokia Oyj as the world’s biggest vendor of mobile phones for the first time, ending the Finnish company’s 14-year run as the global leader, according to an industry study.

Samsung shipped 93.5 million handsets in the first quarter, 36 percent more than a year earlier, compared with 82.7 million for second-ranked Nokia, researcher Strategy Analytics said in a statement today. Demand for Galaxy smartphones helped Suwon, South Korea-based Samsung post first-quarter net income today of 5.05 trillion won ($4.5 billion), beating analysts’ estimates.

“Samsung will probably still be No. 1 in the second quarter, but the full year will be a close call because the third and fourth quarters are traditionally Nokia’s best,” Kang said.

Samsung also regained the lead from Apple as the world’s biggest vendor of smartphones in the first quarter. Smartphone shipments surged 41 percent in the quarter, the analysts said.

The South Korean electronics maker shipped 44.5 million smartphones in the first three months of the year, giving it about 31 percent of the market, Strategy Analytics said. Apple shipped 35.1 million units, accounting for about 24 percent of the market, it said. Nokia ranked third in the segment.

This story is not really so new, as the result on the end of the year, was allready placing Samsung over Apple in term of branded smartphone sell.

I can note too, the Smartphone are the bigger part of handset sold by Samsung ( 44.5millions on Q1 2012, so 253% more of Q1 2011 ), and taking in account the they have still not release their 2012 series, i think this is a good start for Samsung this year ).
    Last edited by Lanek; 04-27-2012 at 01:38 AM.
    CPU: - I7 4930K (EK Supremacy )
    GPU: - 2x AMD HD7970 flashed GHZ bios ( EK Acetal Nickel Waterblock H2o)
    Motherboard: Asus x79 Deluxe
    RAM: G-skill Ares C9 2133mhz 16GB
    Main Storage: Samsung 840EVO 500GB / 2x Crucial RealSSD C300 Raid0

Nerdy Powerlifter
    I really wish Nokia had the ability to compete w/ Samsung in the high end android market. All we seem to see now are nice winmo phones. It's rather a small market.

I think the galaxy series will keep Samsung at the top, so long as they continue to push the envelope w/ each new iteration of their flagship phone. If rumors are true and the 1.4ghz quad S3 is only available in Korea or only Asia/Europe, they'll see a hit from people who were waiting to buy them over here in the States. It's too bad the CPU cant handle LTE. This seems like a huge mistake on Samsung's part. Q3 revenue for this year will be interesting if they don't release an S3 w/ either the 1.4ghz quad or 2.0ghz dual cpu.
    You must [not] advance.

Current Rig: i7 4790k @ stock (**** TIM!) , Zotac GTX 1080 WC'd 2214mhz core / 5528mhz Mem, Asus z-97 Deluxe

Heatware

Xtreme Addict
    Dont the SG3, should use the Exynoxe 4 Quad ?
    CPU: - I7 4930K (EK Supremacy )
    GPU: - 2x AMD HD7970 flashed GHZ bios ( EK Acetal Nickel Waterblock H2o)
    Motherboard: Asus x79 Deluxe
    RAM: G-skill Ares C9 2133mhz 16GB
    Main Storage: Samsung 840EVO 500GB / 2x Crucial RealSSD C300 Raid0

Nerdy Powerlifter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanek View Post
    Dont the SG3, should use the Exynoxe 4 Quad ?
    Everywhere I read, people seem to spread the rumor that the US won't get it b/c of the lack of LTE support. Why T-Mobile and others wouldn't is beyond me since not everyone uses LTE. People everywhere on forums simply keep pushing the notion the US will only get a dual core b/c that version will support LTE. As for which, I don't know.

You will probably get the 1.4ghz quad. Color me jealous.
    You must [not] advance.

Current Rig: i7 4790k @ stock (**** TIM!) , Zotac GTX 1080 WC'd 2214mhz core / 5528mhz Mem, Asus z-97 Deluxe

Heatware