Thread: Intel 910 PCIe SSD Preliminary Benches

SSDabuser

Intel 910 PCIe SSD Preliminary Benches

The first preliminary Intel 910 PCIe SSD benches are out. It looks pretty solid, but I wonder when the 4 6gbps Intel controllers are going to make it into, you know, a real Intel SSD for people and not datacenters.

It's basically 4 Intel 6gbps 10-channel controllers duct taped to a LSI 9211 and 400GB/800GB of HET-MLC, all in a half-height half-length PCIe card. It shows up as 4 discrete devices, so you can do some combination of RAID with it, though I suppose you could use it as 4 separate drives if you were so inclined. Either way, it's not bootable.

Apparently, there is a way to bump up the power consumption of the drive to get additional write performance, but it seems to only affect sequential writes.

Using all 4 drives in R0 it's rated for 180K read IOPS and 75K write IOPS (for the 800GB). Sequentially, you get 2GB/s reads and 1GB/s writes at the spec'd 25w, but "hot-rodded" at 28w, you can get up to 1.5GB sequential writes. I don't know how big of a deal that is in a server (above spec PCIe power consumption for better sequential writes), but I wouldn't want to do that to (A) the server or (B) the drive. I have some SSDs which get really damn toasty, and they only have 1 controller and no HBA. I imaging you'd probably want to point a fan at the 910.

The 800GB 910 is rated for 14 petabytes of full span 8K random writes or 10 petabytes with full span 4K writes. And that's not terrible -- a 600GB Intel 320 is rated for only 60TB of full span random writes. Considering how damn expensive Intel's 720 SSDs are and how brutally expensive SLC is, at $4,000 it actually seems to be a good deal... for a datacenter.

http://thessdreview.com/our-reviews/...s-performance/

Xtreme Guru
    i would like four of them in RAID 0, please! Looks to be pretty sweet, even if you cant boot to it. i wonder what PCMV would look like on it? HMMmmmmmmmmmm........
    "Lurking" Since 1977

Jesus Saves, God Backs-Up
    *I come to the news section to ban people, not read complaints.*-[XC]Gomeler
    Don't believe Squish, his hardware does control him!

SLC
    Quite reasonably priced actually. If it is basically a 9211 then why couldn't they make it bootable?

RAIDer
    Quote Originally Posted by One_Hertz View Post
    Quite reasonably priced actually. If it is basically a 9211 then why couldn't they make it bootable?
    It was too boring...

But it isn't quite as fast as the iodrive slc on "4k"

Xtreme Guru
    they did not make it bootable to utilize the drivers already preinstalled in all windows installations. this puppy is plug and play. no install needed!!

also, keeps the drivers lightweight for uber latency.
    "Lurking" Since 1977

Jesus Saves, God Backs-Up
    *I come to the news section to ban people, not read complaints.*-[XC]Gomeler
    Don't believe Squish, his hardware does control him!