Thread: What memory do one choose for an IB build?

Xtreme Member

What memory do one choose for an IB build?

Hey. I'm finally after years looking to upgrade my system when IB is launched. But, i'm not sure what type of memory i should get for the build.

Could anyone with more expertise help a fellow out.

Do i go for high mhz, low timings? i'm really clueless here. Thanks in advance.

Xtreme Member
    Depends. Do you want every ounce of benchmarking score you can get? Or do you want a good value for gaming? or...

I'm building a new comp myself. What I've learned so far about RAM:
    Win 7 Home allows for only 16 GB of allocation. Win 7 Pro/ultimate have no such limitation.

Sandy bridge gets diminishing returns at anything above 1600 MHZ with 9's for timing. No one really knows a lot about Ivy bridge yet.
    The day we rename "Infanticide" as "After-Birth Abortions" is the day I give up on society.

Xtreme Member
    Sorry, and thanks for answering. I should have been more specific. I am looking for good value and yes it is purely for gaming.

I think for me 16 is more then enough and i think i would prefer for it to be two 8 GB sticks. Instead of four 2 GB ones. 4 is not a problem though, if its good value and a good buy.

Xtreme Member
    I'd say 2x8. Gives you enough to run the minimum (yes,minimum) for the upcoming Max Payne 3, and will be upgraeable to the Z77 max of 32gb in the future.
    The day we rename "Infanticide" as "After-Birth Abortions" is the day I give up on society.

Xtreme Member
    Max Payne demands that much ram? sounds fishy :p

Xtreme Member
    That's what I've heard lol.

Quote Originally Posted by thegoatman View Post
    I'd say 2x8. Gives you enough to run the minimum (yes,minimum) for the upcoming Max Payne 3, and will be upgradeable to the Z77 max of 32gb in the future.
    what are u talking about, 16GB is the maximum usable, but even then it's full of since the game will not be in 64bit so it has a max use of 3GB for the game. the article says recommended but there is no way that the recomended is the best hardware that you can buy even when the brands do not like up,like the amd cpu.
    http://www.newgamenetwork.com/news/4...pecs-released/

the 35GB of disk space is more concerning since that would murder my bandwidth cap from comcast
    Last edited by zanzabar; 04-26-2012 at 03:07 PM.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Member
    I'm just going off of whaat they told me in my thread on the WCG thread.

Xtreme Member
    It seems not that clear what people should buy for IB. Wich is a slight problem, as i will order the second they arrive. I've heard companies are making ram kits designed for IB? but when do they arrive.

Those kits are not out in my country yet. If they arrive after IB launch it kinda sucks. You'd think they be out before?

Xtreme Member
    Well, here's what ya do. Buy the highest speed, tightest timings RAM you can find, and clock it down through all the various levels on the market. Run benches at each downgrade. Post results here, RMA the RAM, buy the cheaper stuff, share findings.

Has anyone experience with 8gb modules? Thinking of getting 2x8 so I can still upgrade later on if I want to reuse the system...
    But they are still mote expensive and probably won't oc as good.. compared to 4x4 ?
    Geil has some that are 'cheap' but my experience with Geil is not so good.

Was also looking at the Mushkin Blackline 4x4 DDR3-1600... seem like a good deal, but I have no experience with Mushkin.
    Last edited by Hausmeister; 04-30-2012 at 06:38 AM.
    Abit IP35 pro
    C2D @ 4ghz
    OCZ 8GB
    Msi Gtx 560 Ti

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hausmeister View Post
    Geil has some that are 'cheap' but my experience with Geil is not so good.
    Really? I have GeiL in my curent rig, about 2 years old and never had an issue. Although maybe they have gotton worse, I'm still using DDR2.( yeh yeh, I know, time for an upgrade).
    And holy tits! Does Max Payne3 really need 16Gb??
    Desktop :-AMD Ryzen 1800X | ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | 16Gb Corsair LPX | Asus Strix Fury | Corsair MP500 480Gb (OS/Apps), Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb (Steam), WD Caviar Green 2Tb (Data) | Lian Li PC-09 WRX | Superflower Leadex Platinum 1600W | Win 10 Pro x64
    Notebook :-Alienware M17x R4 | Intel i7 3630QM | 8Gb DDR3 | AMD Radeon HD 7970M 2Gb | Crucial M4 512Gb | Win 7 Pro
    Media PC :- AMD Sempron LE 1300 | Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-SH2 | 780G chipset/Radeon HD3200 | 2Gb OCZ PC2-6400 | Crucial V4 128Gb | LG GGC-H20L | Win 7 Pro
    Storage :- Windows Home Server 2011 | Chenbro ES34069 | Intel DH67CF | Pentium G620 | 4Gb Corsair Vengence LP DDR3 | Sandisk Ultra 120 Gb SSD (OS) | Highpoint RocketRAID 640 + 4 WD Caviar Red 2Tb RAID 5 (Data)

Xtreme Member
    After some research, I don't think so. I think the min. Is 2 gb. And the max it can utilize is 16.