Thread: I bought a new Gaming PC, Yes Im lazy....

Xtreme Member

I bought a new Gaming PC, Yes Im lazy....

Been firing up the benching rig more lately which meant I didnt have time to build a new gaming rig as first of all it really comes down to cable management makes me insane, and also just the time and ocd I have with building systems.

add to that the fact that I now have SB-E and Ivy to bench along with many new cards.... I just dont have time to build...

Pics coming soon this thing really is bad ass!!! better than I expected after some of the horror stories I have seen online about prebuilt gaming systems

the rig is one of the new AVADirect Builds.. found here: http://www.avadirect.com/gaming-pc-build.asp?id=275

the packing quality and build are all top notch and this is coming from me who is super OCD about everything in my system...

well played AVA well played
    This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine..

Xtreme Member
    Seems like a whole lot of advertising their company name and brand in the thread and in your sig. Did you pay for it with your own money full price or did they discount it/give it to you for the price of advertising? It definitely looks like a cool system.

Xtreme Member
    nah, I bought it Chris, btw nice to see ya :p

was planning to do some of the unboxing pics and stuff to show it off, as ive seen my fair share of horror stories so when someone recommended them I figured I would give it a shot and see how it goes.

worst came to worst it would show up destroyed but it showed up nice..

I have no worries posting about a good product when it is good.

would you like a copy of the invoice?

Edit: If I wanted it free I would just request a review sample but I wanted something mine free and clear

Xtreme Member
    I simply asked the obvious (obvious to me) question. Wasn't pissy a bit.

Maybe I'll ship ya a Gatorade bottle filled with LN2...

Definitely looks cool.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by INJViper View Post
    I simply asked the obvious (obvious to me) question. Wasn't pissy a bit.

Maybe I'll ship ya a Gatorade bottle filled with LN2...

Definitely looks cool.
    well it doesnt hurt that they used our product on it

Please dont bring that up.... I still have a barely visible scar where the shrapnel of that bottle hit my face...

Why I picked it up.... I dont think any logic in the world could explain.

Xtreme Member
    haha not only picked it up but decided to walk back towards us with it. I didn't think it'd be that loud though.

Xtreme Member
    yeah I dont think I could hear outta that ear for a solid day or 2...

but that was about the best sue of LN2 that weekend since that Biostar board just didnt wanna work for us and the Blackops wasnt much better...

the best we could do was try to tune phillys 280's but even taht was being a .....

Im getting LN2 in the lab here soon dude.... maybe livestream some 680/3960X benching

Xtreme Member
    oh and on a ON TOPIC note.... I will be posting pics soon of the rig

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Anytime someone posts a rig like that without mentioning price, it's either A) a favor as asked above, or B) too expensive to entice anyone else into wanting to buy it, not to mention baiting criticism for being exorbitantly lazy.

I'm guessing it's way overpriced for what it contains, esp since it's packaged in the TT Level 10 case, which is the epitome of overpricing in itself. CPU is nice, but the Vengeance RAM leaves little room for a decent air cooler, so it's overpriced sealed WC, or cha ching, more money on expensive custom WC. G Skill Rip Jaws are every bit as good, a lot cheaper and offer much more clearance. Dual Plextor M3 Pros would have been better than dual Intel SSDs too, and the TT PSU is practically generic compared to some of the 1200w PSUs out there.

In the end this looks like an ad for TT and AVA. What's really so hard, time consuming or annoying about assembling and cable routing? It's really only a chore if you choose parts that don't go well together or a case that offers horrible cable management. It's really the best and most enjoyable part of getting a new rig. The only slight perk to having one built is having it pre tested so you don't have to worry about sending any parts back, but even then there's no guarantee you won't have any issues after it's shipped, and it's never worth the price it costs to get one competently built.
    Last edited by Frag Maniac; 04-26-2012 at 01:45 PM.

johhnydoe
    Quote Originally Posted by Frag Maniac View Post
    CPU is nice, but the Vengeance RAM leaves little room for a decent air cooler, so it's overpriced sealed WC, or cha ching, more money on expensive custom WC. G Skill Rip Jaws are every bit as good, a lot cheaper and offer much more clearance. Dual Plextor M3 Pros would have been better than dual Intel SSDs too, and the TT PSU is practically generic compared to some of the 1200w PSUs out there
    While I do agree that pre-builts are a no-go, I don't agree with your breakdown of this machine.

The CPU isn't "nice". That extreme chip is the major budget killer. There's no point in getting a 3960x when the 3930k performs almost as good for a whole lot cheaper.

And well, they actually put some nice AIO's with 240 rads and really nice looks in those pre-builts. So I'd prefer those AIO's to a decent air cooler.

As for the PSU, it's far from being "generic" compared to some other 1200W PSU's. That unit is based on an improved Enhance design of the Strider Gold 1200... you're just looking at the brand (Thermaltake) and assuming that it's majorly inferior.

Goes to show how much you know what you're talking about...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Actually the CPU IS nice, it's just very expensive, but then the whole system is overpriced. The only reason I didn't mention that about the CPU is some buy expensive ones for their added features and/or speed, extra cache, and higher binning. Since CPUs can vary greatly from batch to batch, it remains to be seen if the one he got will have any better OCing potential, but there could be more potential for it as well as longevity based on more selective binning alone.

As for the PSU, the TP series in general doesn't exactly stand out as industry leading, and AVA's price on this one is roughly $251, so it better be good. As of yet though I've not seen any big sites jumping to review it, and I'm sure most would rather not assume it works as well as a Strider Gold, esp when it's not any cheaper right now and SILVER rated vs Gold. If it were THAT much money being spent I'd much rather put it toward a proven PSU.

For that matter even if it IS as good as the Strider Gold 1200 (in regards other than efficiency), you can get one of those for $230 at Newegg. TT fanboy much? For what appears to be a money is no object rig though, I'd go with something like the Antec HCP 1200, a truly proven PSU. For someone that talks smack assuming I don't know squat, you sure don't have much to back up your BS. As I said, compared to better PSUs available this TT might as well be considered generic. PSUs have come a LONG way. TT is slow to catch up.

LOTS of manufactures try and fail to be industry leaders in a given type of product. Those that do often then change manufacturers in hopes to revitalize their reputation. TT has yet to prove they can, and the one it's designed from being no more expensive despite having better efficiency doesn't bode well for them. Why risk getting it from TT when they've had such a rep in the past to force them on this path, unless of course you're a TT fanboy.

TT has never been that impressive with their cases or their PSUs, and now they're obviously paying for it by scrapping to use other vendors and designs. The question is, can they compete with those they seek help from? One of the definitions of generic is having no trademark, eg, not original. If it's so non generic why are they going to SS for design ideas? I'll tell you why, because TT has never been that good at designing things themselves.
    Last edited by Frag Maniac; 04-26-2012 at 07:48 PM.

johhnydoe
    Actually the CPU IS nice, it's just very expensive, but then the whole system is overpriced. The only reason I didn't mention that about the CPU is some buy expensive ones for their added features and/or speed, extra cache, and higher binning. Since CPUs can vary greatly from batch to batch, it remains to be seen if the one he got will have any better OCing potential, but there could be more potential for it as well as longevity based on more selective binning alone.
    The difference between the 3930 and the 3960 is so miniscule that there's no point in spending the extra for the extreme chip. The 3930 clocks almost as good, most the time, just a few shy hundred Mhz behind.

So it'd have been much logical to get the 3930 and spend the extra on something that matters more (I.E, a second 680).

As for the PSU, the TP series in general doesn't exactly stand out as industry leading, and AVA's price on this one is roughly $251, so it better be good. As of yet though I've not seen any big sites jumping to review it, and I'm sure most would rather not assume it works as well as a Strider Gold, esp when it's not any cheaper right now and SILVER rated vs Gold. If it were THAT much money being spent I'd much rather put it toward a proven PSU.
    It IS a good unit. The fact that it's rated at Silver instead of Gold doesn't mean anything because it's based on the exact same design as the Strider Gold, just underrated. Companies differ in their selections when it comes to 80 Plus. Some rate it according to 25C while others do it at 50C, so the same unit can do Gold at 25 degrees, but Silver at 50 degrees. It's a proven PSU. Period.

For that matter even if it IS as good as the Strider Gold 1200 (in regards other than efficiency), you can get one of those for $230 at Newegg. TT fanboy much?
    And no, I'm not a TT fanboy. If you understood what you're talking about, you wouldn't have called people who seem to have a far wider SMPS knowledge than you do a "Thermaltake fanboy". The reason I'd choose the TP-1000M over the Strider Gold is that it has OCP set-points and looks nicer. The Strider lacks OCP trigger points.

For someone that talks smack assuming I don't know squat, you sure don't have much to back up your BS. As I said, compared to better PSUs available this TT might as well be considered generic. PSUs have come a LONG way. TT is slow to catch up.
    My BS? Frankly, you're the one spouting out BS. The Thermaltake unit uses an improved version of Enhance's LLC Resonant platform used in the Strider Gold, so TT isn't "slow to catch up". You haven't been keeping up.

LOTS of manufactures try and fail to be industry leaders in a given type of product. Those that do often then change manufacturers in hopes to revitalize their reputation. TT has yet to prove they can, and the one it's designed from being no more expensive despite having better efficiency doesn't bode well for them. Why risk getting it from TT when they've had such a rep in the past to force them on this path, unless of course you're a TT fanboy.
    You aren't risking anything by getting the exact same unit from Thermaltake. In fact, that unit is SAFER due to having OCP.

TT has never been that impressive with their cases or their PSUs, and now they're obviously paying for it by scrapping to use other vendors and designs. The question is, can they compete with those they seek help from? One of the definitions of generic is having no trademark, eg, not original. If it's so non generic why are they going to SS for design ideas? I'll tell you why, because TT has never been that good at designing things themselves.
    TT has been impressive with their PSU's; look at the TP-1350 or the new version of the Toughpower 1500.

They aren't going to SilverStone for "design ideas". SilverStone doesn't design their PSU's themselves, them OEM. And in this case, the Strider Gold is OEM'ed by Enhance. TT has also started using Enhance for their OEM, like other companies such as Antec.

On the retail level, FSP and SeaSonic are currently the known pair of companies that design and sell their PSU's in the U.S. Other than them, the rest of the manufactorers all use a 3rd party OEM for PSU's. So that's not how it works.

Xtreme Member
    wow guys... hey hey.... chill.

as fro me cable routing has been about equivelant to insanity as I have severe case of OCD and ist never good enough so buying prebuilt just helped it predone and I just accept it as it is...

as for the system components I liked the system because I work at Thermaltake so therefore i felt it was awesome even if some dont agree.

I tend to like the level 10 GT for teh spacious interior while the asthetics are a love or hate thing... (you will like it or you wont, its all in the eye of the beholder)

the whole reason for the post was I took a chance on buying a prebuilt system and was surprised after hearing so many horror stories of poorly assembled or destroyed in shipping systems that when I received mine it was immaculate and exactly as promised with no corners cut and even the cable routing was done with the same attention to detail and criticism that I hold my own work to.

Previously I never would have bought a prebuilt as a long time member here I have been building and benching my own hardware for awhile but I just wanted a system that worked for my needs so I figured I would give it a shot.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    LOL, funny you should mention OCD, because I was just thinking johnny's obsession with OCP is sounding a bit OCD. Even his screen name sounds generic, johnnydoe. LOL

Proven? Where's you're proof, your own assessment based on what you think? You're talking it up a lot for a model series that has been somewhat mediocre for years. I also see no reviews on this model by well known sites that do torture tests on PSUs. And the Intel Extreme series CPUs have always been great OCers, you have no proof of comparisons there either, just your own claims.

Now you're talking more smack like I don't know how PSUs are tested and rated based on efficiency and operating temps. The fact is both SS and TT mention 40c op temp parameters on those PSUs, and SS specifies a specific range of efficiency, whereas TT just claims up to 91%. If the TT could stay within 88-91% as SS specifies, don't you think they'd CLAIM that?

Stick to blind fanboy speculation based on a few part designs vs benches johnny, it seems to be what you're best at. I find it laughable you admit that PSU is based on the Strider Gold, yet deny they used someone else's design idea's vs being completely original with it. As mentioned you've also yet to prove they've improved on it as you now claim. The proof is in the testing, not the parts list.

@punx,
    Not surprised you work at TT, it's almost a forgone conclusion, and for the price you probably paid, it damned well better come shipped and assembled in immaculate condition. I wouldn't expect anything less.
    Last edited by Frag Maniac; 04-27-2012 at 12:50 PM.

johhnydoe
    LOL, funny you should mention OCD, because I was just thinking johnny's obsession with OCP is sounding a bit OCD. Even his screen name sounds generic, johnnydoe. LOL
    My obsession with OCP eh? Yeah, OCP does sound like OCD. Do you even know what OCP is? In every post you make it becomes more clear you don't have a clue on the subject you're on about.

And what's up with the attack to my nickname? You can't actually debunk me, can you? Oh and, yeah, my nick is generic because "frag maniac" is really such an original nickname.

Proven? Where's you're proof, your own assessment based on what you think? You're talking it up a lot for a model series that has been somewhat mediocre for years. I also see no reviews on this model by well known sites that do torture tests on PSUs. And the Intel Extreme series CPUs have always been great OCers, you have no proof of comparisons there either, just your own claims.
    It's not "what I think", it's a fact.

http://www.thermaltake.com/products-...?id=C_00001780

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=silve...3&tx=125&ty=83

Looking similar? As for the Toughpowers, they haven't been "somewhat mediocre for years". The Toughpower Grand 750/850 are based on CWT's DSG design and do Gold unlike the HX750/850 which are Silver rated. So they're great units. As well as low watt Toughpower XT's, TP-1350 and the TP-1500M.

Just because the TP-1200M hasn't made it into the hands of reviewers doesn't mean it's any worse. It hasn't been out for long and is based on Enhance's LLC Resonant + DC-DC design, which is the the platform Strider Gold 1200 is based on.

Coming on the Extreme chip, it is the part that kills the budget. Go look up on how the 3930k OC's. It OC's nearly as good as it's extreme equivalent does for a lot more cheaper. If you did your research, answers to these would have been readily apparent.

Now you're talking more smack like I don't know how PSUs are tested and rated based on efficiency and operating temps. The fact is both SS and TT mention 40c op temp parameters on those PSUs, and SS specifies a specific range of efficiency, whereas TT just claims up to 91%. If the TT could stay within 88-91% as SS specifies, don't you think they'd CLAIM that?
    TT has specified the peak efficiency whereas SilverStone has specified the average efficiency range. If you look at some other designs you can find the SAME UNITS being rated under both Silver and Bronze. I.E, Mushkin rates the Andyson Nuclear 800/850W unit at Silver whereas In-Win's offering comes with a Bronze certification. It doesn't mean one is any different than the other because it's the SAME UNIT. Since 80 Plus is not a reliable rating (as they test at 25c and not at 50c), companies rate their units according to their own believes.

Stick to blind fanboy speculation based on a few part designs vs benches johnny, it seems to be what you're best at. I find it laughable you admit that PSU is based on the Strider Gold, yet deny they used someone else's design idea's vs being completely original with it. As mentioned you've also yet to prove they've improved on it as you now claim. The proof is in the testing, not the parts list.
    You silly. I'm a fanboy? Of what? What are you going on about?

As for the Strider Gold, it's not "someone else's design idea". SilverStone doesn't design any of their PSU's themselves. Enhance does. Enhance is the OEM of SilverStone, Thermaltake, Akasa, Antec and a few others. In other words, the same unit is provided to multiple companies.

As to how it's improved, it's the OCP they set up, and the nicer finish. The proof is there, you just don't understand any of it. You should wind it in before you display any more of these ill-informed antics.
    Last edited by johhnydoe; 04-27-2012 at 04:15 PM.