Page 1 of 19 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Supercomputer Week: May 1-7 2012

Xtreme Legend

Supercomputer Week: May 1-7 2012

Every May and November we have Supercomputer Week. This is a chance to show the world the crunching power of XS. Make sure you have all your crunchers up and running the first week of May. Also invite your friends and family to join in on the fun. Thanks in advance.

For you new guys who need info look here:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ity-Grid-BOINC

World Community Grid is currently undergoing maintenance.
    This maintenance is expected to last until 2:00 UTC on April 29th. We invite you to return after that time
    Last edited by Movieman; 04-28-2012 at 09:50 AM.
    Audentes fortuna iuvat

"Fortune favors the bold"

Fanboy of Good Products
    Woot! Can't wait to get everything rolling. I need another psu or two now that I think of it.. we're gonna break 20 mil this time I can feel it!
    Cruncher #1: EVGA Z68 FTW | i7-2600k @ 4.5 | 6GB Ram
    Cruncher #2: Supermicro Dual-Socket | 2 x 6-core Opterons | 4GB Ram
    Cruncher #3: 8-core Xserve 1,1

T400 for non-crunching

"But don't think you'll run me over - It's, ah, planting season here in Texas... and the farm is growing..." -Otis11 on crunching WCG

but IVB comes out apr 29th ; ;
    Intel C2Q Q9550 2.83ghz :: Intel DQ45CB :: 4 x 2gb OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 Reaper HPC :: ASUS EAH5850 :: Thermaltake TR2 RX 750w :: Western Digital Caviar Black 4 x 750gb in RAID 10
    Intel e3-1235 3.3ghz :: Intel s1200kp :: 4gb kingston hyperX 1600mhz :: WD 500gb Cavier Green
    Intel i7-3770k 4.4ghz :: msi z77ma-g45 :: 8 gb patriot Signature 1600mhz :: 160gb WD Cavier :: 5830 + 5870 CF :: Antec Earthwatts 650w

"...all men die, and no brave man lets death frighten him from his desire..."

Xtreme crazy bastid
    Some tips on getting max output:

Hit the ground running - start your machines a few days to a week in advance. Most projects on WCG use a validation system to check for and correct errors so it takes a few days for your output to get up to full speed

Don't waste cycles - most digital camera packages add software that runs continuously in the background on your machine for no good reason (ok, it's so it starts a little faster but that's it). Disable anything you don't need to be running to free up memory and CPU resources. Also, don't leave email, browsers etc running when you're not using them.

Disable virus scanning on the BOINC folders - exactly how will vary depending on your anti-virus software. Since both the AV software and BOINC require exclusive access to files when they're doing their thing, some AV programs will cause nasty errors on WCG work under some circumstances. This doesn't present a substantial security risk and you can always shut down the BOINC client and scan the work directory manually if you like.

Leave it on - if the noise isn't a problem for you, leave it on 24 hours a day for the duration. If your machine isn't stable enough to run at full load 24/7 then it's not truly stable, nobody cares what Prime etc says.

Crank it up - BOINC lets you control how many cores you want to allow it to use and what percentage of the time they should be running. Change the settings to 100% for both for maximum output. Also, turn off power saving features (Cool n Quiet, Speedstep etc) in BIOS. They underclock (and often undervolt) the system when there aren't any processes of high enough priority running. Since BOINC (WCG) runs at the lowest possible priority any aggressive power saving features will impact your output. Turn 'em off.

Keep it clean! - before you start, clean the dust out of your filters, heatsinks, fans and radiators. If you are having temperature issues just ask. There are plenty of people who can give good advice on how to deal with it. Also, top up your coolant tanks if required and do any maintenance BEFORE SC Week. You don't get work done while you're shut down.

Crank up the Wii/PS3/Xbox etc - gaming on your PC uses valuable system resources that could be completing work. Use the console instead. It's only a week/ten days, you'll live.

GPU crunching - WCG is still running limited BETA tests on this. Don't expect to pwn the whole team with your l33t quad-GPU boxen. You'll be lucky to get a half dozen 2 minute long work units let lone enough to make any difference. In three months that could well be very different and in six it most likely WILL be different, but for now GPUs just use lots of power for no (WCG) crunching benefit. Squeal about it if you like, but I'd suggest wearing a heavy asbestos suit coz you'll earn yourself a severe flaming. Don't say you weren't warned.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nanoseconds from Permaban
    I was thinking on unsubscribing from the beta projects, just in case.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Thread stuck..
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by D_A View Post
    Some tips on getting max output:

Hit the ground running - start your machines a few days to a week in advance. Most projects on WCG use a validation system to check for and correct errors so it takes a few days for your output to get up to full speed
    Might as well fire them up now. Not to many days until the 1st.

Xtreme Member
    Yeah, it is the right time to start if you have a new machine or need to reformat. I'm doing the reformatting option as my GTX 560 Ti is giving driver crashes and artifacts in games. Ordered a radeon 7850 (side grade-ish) since I am moving in a few weeks and an RMA would go to my old address. Should be here today, go amazon prime. Going to RMA the 560 and sell it to cut my losses. Luckily, I had some money float to me yesterday so I am good financially for the summer .

I could have reformatted and did more testing, but I have been plagued with driver crashes since I had the card (TDR) :/.
    Main Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.5ghz, Thermalright HR-02 Macho, Gigabyte Z68MA-DH2-B3, 4x4GB Gskill DDR3-1600, Visiontek Radeon 7850, OCZ Vertex 2 120GB, OCZ Agility 60GB, Silverstone TJ08B-E, Seasonic X750, Win 7 Ultimate 64bit
    Fiance's Rig: Apple iMac 21.5" 2011, i5 2.5ghz, 4GB DDR3-1333, Radeon 6750m, 500GB

Bringing another system on at work...used to be a 'drafting' station....and by used to be it no longer keeps up with the current builds...so not a huge addition but if its an extra few k a day

Xtreme Cruncher
    Did I miss The E-mail or someone is slacking?

SB 2600K
    MSI P67A-GD65

8GB 1600/CL8
    GTX580
    64GB SSD
    4TB
    Xonar DX
    BeQuiet Straight Power 680W sleeved
    in
    Cosmos 1000, modded
    TC PA120.3+XSPC RX240mm+XSPC RASA+DDC1T+OCLabs top+EK Multioption 150+ EK-FC580

Oh and just ordered more RAM for my crunchers that are RAM starved....2600k running on 3GB...

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by ggdh View Post
    Did I miss The E-mail or someone is slacking?

I asked the BIG boss a few days ago..I swear I did and also reminded him yesterday..
    God's truth, crosss my heart and hope to never drive anything but a 1960 VW...<-
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Haha, 1960 VW?

And I'll be back for the week! Won't be up to full production, but hopefully steal some arse pie from a certain bearded friend...

24 hour prime stable? Please, I'm 24/7/365 WCG stable!

So you can do Furmark, Can you Grid???

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Otis11 View Post
    Haha, 1960 VW?

And I'll be back for the week! Won't be up to full production, but hopefully steal some arse pie from a certain bearded friend...
    Anyone I know?

Xtreme Addict
    3 more machines online for SC week! Thanks for the reminder guys!
    Current: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.2GHz / EK Supremacy/ 360 EK Rad, EK-DBAY D5 PWM, 32GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Vega 64 Wave, Samsung nVME SSDs
    Prior Build: Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz / Apogee XT/120.2 Magicool rad, 16GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Saphire rx580 8GB, Samsung 850 Pro SSD

Intel 4.5GHz LinX Stable Club

Linux those diseases
    Sneaky, hiding your farm

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneageman View Post
    Sneaky, hiding your farm
    Current: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.2GHz / EK Supremacy/ 360 EK Rad, EK-DBAY D5 PWM, 32GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Vega 64 Wave, Samsung nVME SSDs
    Prior Build: Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz / Apogee XT/120.2 Magicool rad, 16GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Saphire rx580 8GB, Samsung 850 Pro SSD

Intel 4.5GHz LinX Stable Club

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    Anyone I know?
    Idk... do they have mirrors in NH?

24 hour prime stable? Please, I'm 24/7/365 WCG stable!

So you can do Furmark, Can you Grid???

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    ohhhhh yeahhhhhhh here we go again!

time to let a couple days of complete wu pile up, so i can have a steller first day
    Last edited by NKrader; 04-27-2012 at 09:44 AM.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Otis11 View Post
    Idk... do they have mirrors in NH?
    You do know that IF I wanted to I could show well over a million PPD in my name..You do know that?

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    email going out now to 168,000+
    I know, I just sent it!

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    email going out now to 168,000+
    I know, I just sent it!
    do it 2 more times, just incase.

Fanboy of Good Products
    You do know that IF I wanted to I could show well over a million PPD in my name..You do know that?

T400 for non-crunching

"But don't think you'll run me over - It's, ah, planting season here in Texas... and the farm is growing..." -Otis11 on crunching WCG

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by shoota View Post
    Oh you are just a howl..

Fanboy of Good Products
    I've got a lot of t-shirts for you

T400 for non-crunching

Page 1 of 19 123411 ... LastLast