Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Ivy Bridge Temperatures Could Be Linked To TIM Inside Integrated Heatspreader: Report

xtreme energy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechromancer View Post
    This is fine and all but customers SHOULD NOT have to disassemble a CPU package, replace the TIM, and reassemble the package just to use their K-branded overclocking CPUs at safe temps.

INTEL NEEDS TO FIX THIS IMMEDIATELY!
    Right, you should not raise voltage either They do not have to do anything unless it is overheating at stock settings and many customers complain about it

Xtreme Member
    Why releasing K series CPUs then? I think is more a marketing strat than an engeneering problem.

Cheers

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Trox View Post
    Why releasing K series CPUs then?
    To boost Z77 sales??

Seriously, mobile market is more important than ever, they don't have any lids but that doesn't matter because they won't be overclocked anyway.

Intel has been limiting overclocking step by step for years.
    No budget CPU overclocking, limited maximum multiplier on "unlocked" CPU's, only possible to overclock with Z(P) motherboards. . .

With little competition, declining desktop market, and a competing high end LGA2011 platform, things aren't going to change for the better anytime soon for 1155/1150, if ever.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Right, you should not raise voltage either They do not have to do anything unless it is overheating at stock settings and many customers complain about it
    Wrong. Intel is not against (responsible) overclocking. If they'd start to be, their horny CPUs and the high end gamers boards (like the Asus ROG series) would stop being popular amongst overclockers and high demanding gamers with money.
    Just before launch of the 2011 socket i built this system i have with a 2700K. I'm glad it's soldered! 4.8G on air no prob.
    System Specs: * i7 2700K @ 4.8 Ghz * Zalman CPNS9900-A LED * Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z * 16 GB Corsair Dominator GT CMT16GX3M4X2133C9 * Sapphire HD7970 crossfire * Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro [PCI-E] * Corsair AX 1200W * WDC WD1002FAEX + WDC WD1002FAEX * Optiarc AD 5240S * Dell U3010 @ 2560 x 1600 [DVI-D] * Steelseries 7G * Logitech G9 * Steelseries SX * Coolermaster Stacker STC T01 * Logitech Z-5500 * Sennheiser HD598 * Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1*

xtreme energy
    Being not against overclocking is one thing but they never guarantee that you will achieve any overclock. And in this case you can still get pretty decent results - customers just often expect way too much

Xtremeish
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Being not against overclocking is one thing but they never guarantee that you will achieve any overclock. And in this case you can still get pretty decent results - customers just often expect way too much
    Very true kiwi! However Intel has severely tightened the overclock-ability of theirs CPU's over the last few years, so when the models that are aimed for oc by having an unlocked multiplier starts struggling because of what seems to be shortcuts in the production, then people will get annoyed. We do pay extra for it after all
    Aber ja, naturlich Hans nass ist, er steht unter einem Wasserfall - James May
    Hardware: Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H, Intel i5 4670k @ 4GHz, Crucial DDR3 BallistiX, Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II, Corsair HX 650W, Samsung 830 256GB, Silverstone Precision -|- Cooling: Noctua NH-C12P SE14

Xtreme Addict
    \Project\ Triple Surround Fury
    Case:
    Mountain Mods Ascension (modded)
    CPU: i7 920 @ 4GHz + EK Supreme HF (plate #1)
    GPU: GTX 670 3-Way SLI + XSPC Razor GTX670 water blocks
    Mobo: ASUS Rampage III Extreme + EK FB R3E water block
    RAM: 3x 2GB Mushkin Enhanced Ridgeback DDR3 @ 6-8-6-24 1T
    SSD: Crucial M4 256GB, 0309 firmware
    PSU: 2x Corsair HX1000s on separate circuits
    LCD: 3x ASUS VW266H 26" Nvidia Surround @ 6030 x 1200
    Games: AoE II: HD, BF4, MKKE, MW2 via FourDeltaOne (Domination all day!)

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallenator View Post
    Very true kiwi! However Intel has severely tightened the overclock-ability of theirs CPU's over the last few years, so when the models that are aimed for oc by having an unlocked multiplier starts struggling because of what seems to be shortcuts in the production, then people will get annoyed. We do pay extra for it after all
    True but for the performance you get the prices are pretty low IMO, it wasn't that long ago new CPUs from AMD/Intel costs much more then prices we see now and only the very expensive hi-end chips had unlocked multipliers.

My HTPC has an AMD64 X2-4200+, the board/CPU are now 6.5 years old, the (multiplier locked) CPU cost $400 and that was just after the price dropped from $549!

If I was Intel I would of added another $50 on top of the price of "K" models.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by ReKcOlNu View Post

If I was Intel I would of added another $50 on top of the price of "K" models.
    They do in Europe, or at least in the Netherlands

3770K 4.7Ghz 1.32v / ASUS P8Z77-V PRO / 8GB DDR3 1866 9-9-9-27 /ASUS HD7970 1025MHz / Antec NeoHE 550 / Samsung 830 256GB Crunching
    Cooled by PA120.3, EK-HF, D-tek Fuzion GFX, DDC3.1 XSPC res/top

i5 2400 Stock / ASUS P8P67 LE / 4GB DDR3 1600 / Seasonic S12II 430W / Intel G2 40GB Crunching

2600K 4.6Ghz 1.34v / ASUS P8Z68-V PRO / 8GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24 / Antec 430W / Intel G2 80GB Crunching

W3520 4.0Ghz 1.19v / Rampage II Gene / 6GB Kinston Value 1333 / 9800GT / Corsair TX650 / Antec mini P180 / Intel G2 160GB Crunching

Intel G860 Stock / Gigabyte H67MA-UD2H-B3 / 4GB DDR3 1333 / Antec Earthwatts green 380W / Crucial M4 64GB Crunching

E6600 3.2Ghz 1.36v - P5B Deluxe / i7 930 4.0Ghz 1.29v - ASUS P6X58D-E / Q9450 3.6Ghz 1.28v - Rampage Formula Retired

Xtreme Addict
    The choice of TIM is likely a choice to limit overclocking and enure Sandy Bridge-E keeps a niche on the desktop.

It doesn't affect power consumption, temperatures are within acceptable limits at stock, and notebooks where it's more critical don't have an IHS.

Any overclocking headroom is a bonus - your buying a product that must work at stock, and Ivy Bridge does.

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by onewingedangel View Post
    The choice of TIM is likely a choice to limit overclocking and enure Sandy Bridge-E keeps a niche on the desktop.

It doesn't affect power consumption, temperatures are within acceptable limits at stock, and notebooks where it's more critical don't have an IHS.

Any overclocking headroom is a bonus - your buying a product that must work at stock, and Ivy Bridge does.
    But the K models are made for overclockers.

Of course, you find K models in OEM machines too, but part of that is because on SB, 2600K had better integrated GPU than 2600.
    Smile

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by BeepBeep2 View Post
    But the K models are made for overclockers.
    The unlocked multiplier is there to give more flexibility when overclocking, but you're still not guaranteed anything over stock turbo speeds.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Did anyone read what Asus had to say? Basically that core temp and real temp are not reading the temps right?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
    Did anyone read what Asus had to say? Basically that core temp and real temp are not reading the temps right?
    Wait what?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yup it's there I think at hard forums if I am right.

Xtreme Guru
    Well I wouldn't be suprised, in fact I also suggested something like that earlier as to me it doesn't make sense how the temps suddenly start climbing drasticly at around 4.7~4.8GHz while the power consumption doesn't quite rise as quickly, even at those speeds it's still not using as much power as Sandy at similar speeds in terms of power consumption, for 20~25C differences between Sandy and Ivy at that point it doesn't seem realistic. Neither does it when it keeps showing 100C load temp but u can still keep it priming.

I can't be the only one having some slight doubts?
    Last edited by RPGWiZaRD; 05-20-2012 at 01:09 PM.
    Intel? Core i5-4670K @ 4.3 GHz | ASRock Extreme6 Z87 | G.Skill Sniper 2x8GB @ DDR4-1866 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 970 OC Windforce 3x | Super Flower Titanium 1000W | ViewSonic VX2268wm 120Hz LCD | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | Logitech MX-518 | Win 7 x64 Professional | Samsung 850 EVO & 840 Pro SSDs

If all people would share opinions in an objective manner, the world would be a friendlier place

Xtreme Addict
    Here is kevin's (unclewebb/realtemp programmer) response to the nonsensical comment that someone claims was made by someone at ASUS that some temp programs are not updated.
    http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=...8&postcount=48

The person who claims to have contacted ASUS and reported back, claimed initially that AIDA64 was reading core temps correctly, but Coretemp and Realtemp needed to be updated. Which is interesting since AID64 is reading same temps as Coretemp and Realtemp (within sampling error times, ie 1-2C). That same person initially thought core temps were way off since a huge difference was found between 2 cores while loaded, then realized prime had failed on that core, hence the large difference, which is what set the nonsensical theory in motion, and launched another rumor from people who cant bother to read the whole thread and realize it was a nonsensical user error.

Realtemp, Coretemp, AIDA64 and any other software simply read tjmax directly from cpu register (you can use any MSR editor, go read tech docs find the register and read it yourself), then read distance to tjmax again directly from cpu register, and provide the result. Nothing to screw up. You may see 1-2C difference in temp programs since their sampling times vary. Also HWM and others may read a rolling avg vs realtime of Coretemp and Realtemp, again couple C difference.

Basically to claim realtemp and coretemp are wrong, is to say intel programmed tjmax wrong and/or distance to tjmax is wrong. But then how would AIDA64 be accurate, when it is giving the same temps reading the same information from cpu. While slope error occurs at low end causing low reading core temps on IVY, at high temps, coretemp, AIDA64, and realtemp are as accurate as intels calibration since they are simply reading the same info, albeit sampling at slightly different times.

Ivy is just hot, crappy tim1 + higher thermal density.
    Last edited by rge; 05-20-2012 at 07:02 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well he funny thing is my water temps are not rising along with running something like prime, even though the cores are hitting 80 odd degrees. The water temp tends to rise only about 2-3 degrees, which is a bit abnormal. This is the first time I am using intel, but in the case if amd, water temps would rise by 5-6 degrees on full load with the gpu going in bf3. And you could feel the hot air from the rad and the rad would be warm to the touch. With ivy this does not seem to happen.

Xtreme Addict
    Water temps will rise proportionally to total wattage not core temperature. Higher watts dissipated = higher water temps. Ivy isnt high wattage, it is high thermal density + poor tim1 interface.

My gpu consumes 200W, but core temps on gpu are only 50C while consuming 200W because thermal density is lower. My core i7950 only consumed 150W at 4.2, 1.28vcore, but temps were much higher than 50C. GPU heats water more since higher wattage, but cpu temps much higher since higher thermal density.

Bottom line water temps is not a measure of core temperature, it is proportional only to total wattage.

Take 150W and spread the consumption over a large area, and temps wont be much higher than ambient. condense the area that power is consumed into a small enough area and temps will exceed that of a nuclear reactor (see intel slide on thermal density previously shown). Even though total wattage would be low.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Does throttle watch work with Ivy? What does it say when temps get really high?

I've posted a review here with different TIMs used. 25ºC dropped form intel TIM+AS5 to liquid pro+indigo xtreme:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...P-IX&p=5104115

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by amlett View Post
    I've posted a review here with different TIMs used. 25ºC dropped form intel TIM+AS5 to liquid pro+indigo xtreme:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...P-IX&p=5104115
    Wow fantastic results. You are tempting me to pop the top on mine...
    Main PC
    i7 3770k
    Asus P8Z77-Deluxe
    4x4 GB Gskill Sniper
    Sandisk Extreme 240 GB
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    Coolermaster ATCS 840
    MCP35X - Apogee Drive II - MCR320

HTPC
    i7 920
    Gigabyte EX58 UD5
    Sapphire 5670
    3x2 GB OCZ Platinum @ 7-7-7-20
    Corsair HX-650
    Silverstone LC10
    Intel X25-M G2

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
    Well he funny thing is my water temps are not rising along with running something like prime, even though the cores are hitting 80 odd degrees. The water temp tends to rise only about 2-3 degrees, which is a bit abnormal. This is the first time I am using intel, but in the case if amd, water temps would rise by 5-6 degrees on full load with the gpu going in bf3. And you could feel the hot air from the rad and the rad would be warm to the touch. With ivy this does not seem to happen.
    You're making an apples to oranges comparison here. Water temp is based on power consumption of the cooled hardware, it's actual temperature is pretty much irrelevant. So water temp is of course low with Ivy, as power consumption is relatively low for a CPU that's at 80C with a good watercooler (relative to other CPUs that hit 80C). To hit 80C with Sandy and the same cooling setup, you need to increase VCore more and have significantly higher power consumption, so your water temp will then be significantly higher. Meaning you can't compare water temp based on CPU temp, only based on power consumption. Another example: If you were to use a really bad watercooler on Sandy, your temp will drastically increase, but water temperature will remain the same, as power consumption is the same.

Xtreme Addict
    Is there anyway to replace the TIM and reglue the IHS back on and not loose warranty?
    i7 6700K @4.8 ghz
    XSPC RayStorm (very nice block)
    Z170 Sabertooh ,, 32GB- Gskill (15-15-15-36 @3600 mhz) 1:1
    XFX-7970 with Swiftech Komodo nickel block
    Water Cooling - MO-RA3 Pro with 4 Silverstone 180mm @ 700 rpm, Twin Vario mcp-655 pumps
    Samsung 850-1TB SSD,, OCZ ZX-1250W (powerfull and silent)
    Crossfire 30" decent monitor for IPS too bad SED tech died

Docsis2.0 Docsis3.0

-- People who reject the idea that "government has a responsibility to reduce income inequality" give an average of four times more than people who accept that proposition.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Only if the person at Intel has NO idea what they're looking at.
    [XC] gomeler - Public note: If you PM me to tell me that I am disrespectful at least have space in your PM box so I can tell you I don't care.

[XC] gomeler - I come to the news section to ban people, not read complaints.

I heart gomeler!

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast