Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ivy Bridge Temperatures Could Be Linked To TIM Inside Integrated Heatspreader: Report

Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    And if so, ES and Retail chips could use different TIMs.
    This needs further investigation and perhaps an official reply from Intel as well.
    Intel's reply is pending, regarding an answer to that question specifically. I had to tell them I was writing it in order to get a real response, beyond "secret sauce". And since I told them I was writing it, I figured I should go ahead and actually write it.

To the others, the forum post was tangible proof that TIM paste may be used on IB. The review temps and everyone spouting off BS about power density without any proof is what the article was written from. The result will be an actual answer for everyone, hopefully.

The image was pt1t's, used with permission.
    Last edited by imog; 04-25-2012 at 07:01 PM.

Xtreme Member
    So if the chips ship like this... who wants to be the first to write an Ivy Bridge Pop-topping guide?
    The day we rename "Infanticide" as "After-Birth Abortions" is the day I give up on society.

I am Xtreme
    Intel with its vast resources is questioned. seriously? lol

Several forum members say/question "Intel doesn't know sh*t about installing IHS"

Intel is the 2nd biggest spender in R&D. Intel's R&D budget: $7.71 billion

My take on the design, Ivy is indeed hot. You just can't push it higher compared to Sandy on air. Even if you push it it wont be stable, you're forced to settle with the lower clocks but this will prolong life for the cpu. Intel WIN, users do not necessarily lose. there is sandy bridge.

as for extreme overclockers... the cpu scales with cold.

as for regular overclockers.. come join the subzero guys

Quote Originally Posted by Hondacity View Post
    Please state clearly what you mean?

Is it hondacity's "official position" that Intel used TIM paste because they believe it to be a superior solution for Ivy Bridge?

I need you to state specifically what it is you are saying, rather than chastise what other people are saying. That way when you are wrong, we can chastise you. lol

I am Xtreme
    ivy isn't designed like sandy.

its core characteristics that influence the overclocking potential.

the tim or indium paste doesn't matter on air/water

if you ramp up the voltage, ivy is simply a monster...hence cooling on ambient isn't good.

clear enough?

the tim or indium paste doesn't matter on air/water

if you ramp up the voltage, ivy is simply a monster...hence cooling on ambient isn't good.

clear enough?
    Yes, that is clear enough for me to now understand what you mean exactly. Clock is ticking until making fun of you for being wrong commences.

Also FWIW, I think it is possible for Intel to do things that it knows are not the best for cooling, for other reasons - easier to manufacture, good enough, quicker, cheaper etc. It isn't that I think they don't know what they are doing with installing an IHS. I think the temps are not explained by power density, and there are other factors that you (and others) have not accounted for/do not understand which could lead them to using an inferior TIM.
    Last edited by imog; 04-25-2012 at 07:34 PM.

Xtreme Member
    I fail to see how ivy can last longer with an average delta-t of +30 degrees C?
    The day we rename "Infanticide" as "After-Birth Abortions" is the day I give up on society.

Xtreme Member
    Yeah seriously.

Several forum members say/question "Intel doesn't know sh*t about installing IHS"
    How dare we question a monopolistic corporation whose last competitor in our market niche just flopped, with none to take its place?
    Last edited by thegoatman; 04-25-2012 at 07:39 PM.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by imog View Post
    Yes, that is clear enough for me to now understand what you mean exactly. Clock is ticking until making fun of you for being wrong commences.

Also FWIW, I think it is possible for Intel to do things that it knows are not the best for cooling, for other reasons - easier to manufacture, good enough, quicker, cheaper etc. It isn't that I think they don't know what they are doing with installing an IHS. I think the temps are not explained by power density, and there are other factors that you (and others) have not accounted for/do not understand which could lead them to using an inferior TIM.
    read borandi's article. its another take. but basically the same observations.

whoever thought of "power density" is rather mistaken. its mainly controlled leakage versus leakage at higher voltage and clocks. hence there is a ceiling for overclockers on ambient air/water.

as for some that is thermal paste/adhesive as it retains its position once its cured.

I see what you are getting at with the leakage comment. I don't agree, but I understand and see why you think that.

I linked Borandi's article in the first paragraph of my article (I have read it).

Quote Originally Posted by Dumo View Post
    If theres a problem, I'm sure Intel will be on top of it by now...especially when it comes to "heat".
    Maybe, maybe not. Up through SB they still hadn't figured out how to consistently make a FLAT IHS. My i7 950 is horribly concave to the point that even with a massive cooler it still runs stupidly warm at stock speeds. My 2600k isn't near as bad but still has enough of a dish shape to affect temperatures.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

I am Xtreme
    Leakage Current

First of all, as chip geometries shrink and clock frequencies rise, the transistor
    leakage current increases
    Currently, every one percent improvement in processor performance brings a three percent increase in power consumption.
    This is because, as transistors shrink and more are packed into smaller space, and as clock frequencies increase, the leakage
    current likewise increases, driving up heat and power inefficiency. If transistor density continues to increase at present rates
    without improvements in power management, by 2015 microprocessors will consume tens of thousands of watts per
    square centimeter.
    Last edited by Hondacity; 04-25-2012 at 08:11 PM.

Leakage Current
    that would have us with 5-6nm, also isnt it that for every .5x in shrink you gain 4x the transistors in a given area so the wattage goes down but the power consumption pen mm^2 goes up, ending with lower power consumption per given transistor count.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

I am Xtreme
    leakage current @ stock is controlled.

once you go out of spec(vcc set to max or setting a higher clock speed) then ..leakage is increased. for ivy, her leakage is tremendous lol

Holy crap. The document those quotes were pulled from was written in 2005 and you are re-purposing it now to explain these specific heat problems with Ivy Bridge in 2012, while ignoring that IB is the same microarchitecture as SB and we have proof that the TIM is different under the IHS now. It's like the documents prediction came true overnight when IB was released!

Time to retreat to sanity...

I am Xtreme
    its related to transistor leakage current. its one of the main concern for cpu design. basically keeping the temperature down.

Xtreme Guru
    Maybe it will be popping time, maybe not. All I remember is that popping off IHS on my stupid hot Opteron 165 made the temps go like 14~18C lower.
    Intel? Core i5-4670K @ 4.3 GHz | ASRock Extreme6 Z87 | G.Skill Sniper 2x8GB @ DDR4-1866 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 970 OC Windforce 3x | Super Flower Titanium 1000W | ViewSonic VX2268wm 120Hz LCD | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | Logitech MX-518 | Win 7 x64 Professional | Samsung 850 EVO & 840 Pro SSDs

If all people would share opinions in an objective manner, the world would be a friendlier place

Quote Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD View Post
    Maybe it will be popping time, maybe not. All I remember is that popping off IHS on my stupid hot Opteron 165 made the temps go like 14~18C lower.
    You had a crappy IHS mount on yours too huh? I did the same, very nervewracking doing it for the first time ever on my (then) new expensive CPU as an utterly broke college kid.

I drilled a hole in the IHS corner and used it as my keychain for a while
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

XIP
    So what's the problem then? Now peep finally can poured LN2 to full pot like good ol' Phenom and drink 40s waiting for 3D'05 to finish. Lol

Probly Intel should make Ivy better on air for the next revision even if it gonna cb'ed @ -40C

I am Xtreme
    word! lol

2D Otaku
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumo View Post
    So what's the problem then? Now peep finally can poured LN2 to full pot like good ol' Phenom and drink 40s waiting for 3D'05 to finish. Lol

Probly Intel should make Ivy better on air for the next revision even if it gonna cb'ed @ -40C
    Hell No !! I love Ivy the way it is

That said, I'm now a bit curious about how de-lidding the CPU will give advantages for LN2 OCers (aside from cracking the core when putting a pot on that 'defenseless' chip LOL :p)
    I'm Just Lucky !
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_n00b,2004
    "The ONLY thing that LIMITS my overclocking is not my cooling, nor my hardware...but ME . That's why I call myself a n00b.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2007 - AOCC APAC #3
    2008 - GOOC ID #4 | MOA WW #1
    2009 - GOOC ID #1 | GOOC APAC #4
    2010 - GOOC ID #1 | GOOC Asia-Africa #9 | MOA WW #10
    2011 - MOA ID #1 | MOA APAC #5

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'd wager properly soldering the IHS on with special equipment is more costly than dabbing a few drops of crappy TIM on there and securing the IHS.
    GPU: 4-Way SLI GTX Titan's (1202 MHz Core / 3724 MHz Mem) with EK water blocks and back-plates
    CPU: 3960X - 5.2 GHz with Koolance 380i water block
    MB: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme with EK full board water block
    RAM: 16 GB 2400 MHz Team Group with Bitspower water blocks
    DISPLAY: 3x 120Hz Portrait Perfect Motion Clarity 2D Lightboost Surround
    SOUND: Asus Xonar Essence -One- USB DAC/AMP
    PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX1500
    SSD: Raid 0 - Samsung 840 Pro's
    BUILD THREAD: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1751610

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_n00b View Post
    Hell No !! I love Ivy the way it is

That said, I'm now a bit curious about how de-lidding the CPU will give advantages for LN2 OCers (aside from cracking the core when putting a pot on that 'defenseless' chip LOL :p)
    video please

go go go

Is this a retail chip or an ES sample?
    | P5B-D | E6600 | 2GB G.Skill PC6400 GBHZ | 7900GTO | Lian Li V2100B +II | Scythe Infinity |

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Intel thermal specs does mention about TIM applied on IB
    http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/...ket-guide.html

Edit: TIM =! thermal paste only but including solder
    Last edited by owikh84; 04-26-2012 at 04:22 AM.
    SUCCESSFUL TRADE LIST RM600k+

^^ Malaysia's Overclocking Enthusiast Community Website ^^
    Find us at Facebook HERE

XS Successful Trades:
    G.Skill RipjawsZ 2400C9 4X4GB - sold to easegantini | G.Skill RipjawsX 2133C8 2X2GB - bought from Dumo | 2600K 57X - bought from newhit | 3770K 6750 - bought from Viss | 3770K 6750 - sold to Sniper | 3770K IMC 2800+ - bought from Dumo | G.Skill Pi 2200C7 - bought from websmile | 3770K IMC 2933+ - bought from Viss | DomGT 2kC7 3X2GB - sold to _AntLionBR_ | G.Skill Pi 2133C8 - bought from websmile | DomP 2800C11 - bought from Alex-Ro | Pi 2000C7 - bought from websmile | GTX4 + KVR 1333C9 - bought from TaPaKaH

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast