Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EA Announces Expansion of Its Always Online DRM Policy

Xtremely Kool

EA Announces Expansion of Its Always Online DRM Policy

Electronic Arts’ policy of requiring its users to always be online when playing their games is going to continue but with a twist, confirmed Keith Ramsdale, the general manager of EA Northern Europe.

This new version of the always online requirement will feature the implementation of “online universes,” which will emphasize an always-online connection to resources on EA’s servers.

Ramsdale explained the new vision for EA’s always online policy.

Imagine a player gets up in the morning, plays an online match on his 360 before going to work. On the bus, on his way to work, he practices his free kicks on his tablet. At lunch he looks at the transfer window on his PC. On the way home he chooses his kit on his smartphone.

Here’s the thing: when he gets home to play again on his 360 that evening, all those achievements and upgrades will be alive in his game. We’re very focused on transforming all of our brands into these online universes. That gives the consumer full control of how and when they play in a rich world of content.

The new policy will be extended to all of EA’s franchises, including FIFA, Battlefield, Medal of Honor, The Sims, Need for Speed, and Star Wars games, among others.

Ramsdale did not give a timeframe for this policy change.

Analysis: Gaming’s a big business now, and that means that the stakes of piracy are much higher. For example, Crysis 2, last year’s most pirated game, reported an estimated 3,920,000 pirated copies, resulting in approximately $235,200,000 of lost income. Of course, it’s difficult to aggregate what percentage of pirates are actual lost customers, but when you’re losing $235 million dollars on a game from piracy, it doesn’t really matter anymore. The fact of the matter is that, even if only 10% of pirates were actual lost customers, then you’re still losing a painful $23 million due to piracy.

Crysis 2 wasn’t an anomaly, either. In 2011, games like Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, Battlefield 3, FIFA 12, and Portal 2 all recorded estimate piracy levels of over 3 million copies, and it’s important to note that three of those games are titles that EA published.

So I think the message here is clear. Piracy is a real, veritable concern to any publisher releasing high-profile AAA games for the PC. Therefore, EA has a right and a business duty to be worried about piracy and to try and think of ways to fix this issue.

Now, before you all get your pitchforks and torches and storm my house saying that I’m pro-DRM, let me state for the record that I think, unequivocally, that EA’s always online policy is draconian, misguided, and repulsive. It’s a prime example of taking the wrong route of DRM; it’s punishing all of their players because of pirates rather than rewarding the paying customers for their patronage. It’s bad; it doesn’t work; it frustrates real customers; and I think that, ironically, it’s contributing to the piracy of their games rather than helping to correct the issue.

As such, when I hear of this new development in EA’s DRM policy, I can’t help but feel that this is one step forward and two steps back. On the one hand, EA is actually trying to ease the pain of the always online requirement by adding helpful and customer-positive features to it such as cross-platforming and cloud saving. However, in the process of doing this, EA not only misses the point again on why their DRM sucks, they also go in yet another completely misguided direction by taking away even more game ownership from customers. With this new policy, EA is not only continuing but expanding their practice of making customers jump through hoop after hoop to gain the content they paid for, and those who do brave the obstacles are being rewarded with less actual ownership of that content. You know what that means: customers are going to grow tired and frustrated with the draconian DRM and look to piracy to try and circumvent all the hassle. It’s a vicious cycle, isn’t it?

The fact of the matter is that you don’t “beat piracy,” and if that’s how you approach the issue, then you’re just going to frustrate everybody and get nowhere. What you really need to do is encourage people to be legitimate customers rather than pirates, and EA’s new policy most certainly does not attempt this in any shape or form.

Ultimately, I’m disheartened to hear this news. If EA keeps up the pace with their attempts to bludgeon users into buying and using the game exactly how the company wants, then I think their future with the PC market might be pretty bleak.
    http://www.gamingbus.com/2012/04/23/...ne-drm-policy/

Xtreme Member
    Some people will ALWAYS pirate if they can, some people like me just won't touch a EA game period.

"The fact of the matter is that you don’t “beat piracy,” and if that’s how you approach the issue, then you’re just going to frustrate everybody and get nowhere. What you really need to do is encourage people to be legitimate customers rather than pirates, and EA’s new policy most certainly does not attempt this in any shape or form."
    Last edited by THX1138; 04-24-2012 at 03:28 PM. Reason: bbq taking blood away from my brain

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I refused to buy any Origin games, and I might have bought Crysis 2 and Battlefield 3, if it hadn't been for what I'd seen with DA2. So I wonder what hurts more, paying customers boycotting EA, or pirates who wouldn't have bought those games anyway?

Seriously EA fix your .

Xtreme Member
    Well I think the whole pricing structure has to change / volume sold = dictating point of sale price= more sold lower price/ less sold higher.
    DRM to me is a devious way for publisher(s) to get control of..
    (a) resale of product.
    (b) Use of product.
    (c) Content of product.

But it is a necessary evil for most games.
    Like I say/believe there needs to be a radical change in pricing.
    *edit*
    Heh just spotted this http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...r-Game-is-Near
    Last edited by Gener_AL (UK); 04-24-2012 at 04:09 PM.
    The Boss = AMD8120FX - CHV - 16GB DDR3 Vengence 1600LV@1866C9 - AMD7970 - Corsair 850W PSU Corsair FGT-120Gb - Samsung F1 500GB x 2 - Samsung F3 1TB x 1 - Thermaltake Caesar III
    The Workhorse = AMD955BE - Scythe Ninja Rev2 - CHF-III - 16GB DDR3 Vengence 1600LV - AMD6870 - Corsair 430W PSU Corsair F40A - Samsung F1 500GB x 2 - Samsung F3 1TB x 2
    The Slave = AMD Phenom 9850BE - M3A79-T Deluxe - 4Gb OCZ Blade LV DDR2-1150 - Tagen 480W PSU - XFX AMD5670 - Samsung F1 500GB - Coolermaster 330
    The Apprentice = AMD PhenomII 550BE - XFX890GX - 4Gb Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 - Seagate ST3160316AS - The Unknown Chassis

tbh they are just encouraging more pirating
    Intel C2Q Q9550 2.83ghz :: Intel DQ45CB :: 4 x 2gb OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 Reaper HPC :: ASUS EAH5850 :: Thermaltake TR2 RX 750w :: Western Digital Caviar Black 4 x 750gb in RAID 10
    Intel e3-1235 3.3ghz :: Intel s1200kp :: 4gb kingston hyperX 1600mhz :: WD 500gb Cavier Green
    Intel i7-3770k 4.4ghz :: msi z77ma-g45 :: 8 gb patriot Signature 1600mhz :: 160gb WD Cavier :: 5830 + 5870 CF :: Antec Earthwatts 650w

"...all men die, and no brave man lets death frighten him from his desire..."

Xtreme Guru
    Since when do you have to be online to play an EA game? I have Dragon Age II, Crysis 2, Bulletstorm and BF3 on Origin and I have no issue playing any of them when I'm offline.

Analysis: Gaming’s a big business now, and that means that the stakes of piracy are much higher. For example, Crysis 2, last year’s most pirated game, reported an estimated 3,920,000 pirated copies, resulting in approximately $235,200,000 of lost income. Of course, it’s difficult to aggregate what percentage of pirates are actual lost customers, but when you’re losing $235 million dollars on a game from piracy, it doesn’t really matter anymore. The fact of the matter is that, even if only 10% of pirates were actual lost customers, then you’re still losing a painful $23 million due to piracy.

Crysis 2 wasn’t an anomaly, either. In 2011, games like Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, Battlefield 3, FIFA 12, and Portal 2 all recorded estimate piracy levels of over 3 million copies, and it’s important to note that three of those games are titles that EA published.
    the only DRM is pc side so why would you count an online only game like COD or BF3, and why list the numbers in total not pc downloads for crysis2, and why even bring up crysis2 they are counting the 2 leaks and the retail game to get numbers that high.

Quote Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
    Since when do you have to be online to play an EA game? I have Dragon Age II, Crysis 2, Bulletstorm and BF3 on Origin and I have no issue playing any of them when I'm offline.
    KOA and ME3, will not let you play unless you are online if you have any of the DLC, even the ones that were free for playing the demos and they cannot be disabled.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skymtl View Post
    since when do you have to be online to play an ea game? I have dragon age ii, crysis 2, bulletstorm and bf3 on origin and i have no issue playing any of them when i'm offline.
    One springs to mind C&C 4 (yep i bought it)
    The Boss = AMD8120FX - CHV - 16GB DDR3 Vengence 1600LV@1866C9 - AMD7970 - Corsair 850W PSU Corsair FGT-120Gb - Samsung F1 500GB x 2 - Samsung F3 1TB x 1 - Thermaltake Caesar III
    The Workhorse = AMD955BE - Scythe Ninja Rev2 - CHF-III - 16GB DDR3 Vengence 1600LV - AMD6870 - Corsair 430W PSU Corsair F40A - Samsung F1 500GB x 2 - Samsung F3 1TB x 2
    The Slave = AMD Phenom 9850BE - M3A79-T Deluxe - 4Gb OCZ Blade LV DDR2-1150 - Tagen 480W PSU - XFX AMD5670 - Samsung F1 500GB - Coolermaster 330
    The Apprentice = AMD PhenomII 550BE - XFX890GX - 4Gb Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 - Seagate ST3160316AS - The Unknown Chassis

Xtreme Addict
    EA can go one way, and all the independent games (which dont looks so independent anymore) can go another way. I wish wish wish I liked witcher 2, because I wanted to buy it just for the piracy policy.

Xtreme Addict
    Hmm, well..I will stick out my chin on this one. I don't condone illegal acts in any form, on the contrary. However, I will either stop buy the games that require me to be constant connected to them (and sending info), or buy it and then take measures to remove the online part (which I know is illegal). There you have it, I confess of beeing a potential criminal..! ..I just havent had to decide yet..
    GA-H55N-USB3
    i3-550 L008B555 @4.6GHz (1.36v)
    Sapphire HD 5850 @1GHz/1.3GHz (1.25v)
    GSkill ECO 4GB PC3-12800 @1.33GHz 6-6-6-20 1T (1.34v)

Seriously if gaming developers/publishers are going to use online DRM I'm going to stop playing games. I refuse to use online DRM, as it does absolutely nothing for legit users and pirates will find a way to circumvent the DRM.
    AMD Threadripper 12 core 1920x CPU OC at 4Ghz | ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme X399 motherboard | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 RAM | Gigabyte 11GB GTX 1080 Ti Aorus Xtreme GPU | SilverStone Strider Platinum 1000W Power Supply | Crucial 1050GB MX300 SSD | 4TB Western Digital HDD | 60" Samsung JU7000 4K UHD TV at 3840x2160

Xtreme Member
    I'm a clean player so I don't mind at all. As long as my product keys are safe. This can only be bad news for those who want to play for free. I guess it is working.
    Internet will save the World.

Foxconn MARS
    Q9650@3.8Ghz
    Gskill 4Gb-1066 DDR2
    EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 448/C Classified Ultra
    WD 1T Black
    Theramlright Extreme 120
    CORSAIR 650HX

BenQ FP241W Black 24" 6ms
    Win 7 Ultimate x64

NooB MOD
    Do none of you guys have internet access, or am I missing something here?
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Oj101 View Post
    Do none of you guys have internet access, or am I missing something here?
    Have you never experienced a problem with your internet connection? Or how about the servers going down for whatever reason in the middle of the game? Ubisoft was switching servers for their always online games and some of the games were rendered unplayable for a few days.

It also basically kills LAN support in all future games.

Not all of us have a stable and fast connection, mine tends to go down to the gutter during evenings and I experience disconnections as well, and when your internet disconnects you, you lose progress of the game which is bull. Online DRM can go to hell.
    AMD Threadripper 12 core 1920x CPU OC at 4Ghz | ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme X399 motherboard | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 RAM | Gigabyte 11GB GTX 1080 Ti Aorus Xtreme GPU | SilverStone Strider Platinum 1000W Power Supply | Crucial 1050GB MX300 SSD | 4TB Western Digital HDD | 60" Samsung JU7000 4K UHD TV at 3840x2160

Xtreme Addict
    +1 it means you can't play your software unless you pay your isp monthly fee,no pay no play after I already purchased the software.

Xtreme Guru
    Rest assured, this policy will not stay final. I'll give it 4 weeks. Too much resistance from gaming community. EA can try whatever they want but good luck forcing upon the gamers. :P
    Intel? Core i5-4670K @ 4.3 GHz | ASRock Extreme6 Z87 | G.Skill Sniper 2x8GB @ DDR4-1866 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 970 OC Windforce 3x | Super Flower Titanium 1000W | ViewSonic VX2268wm 120Hz LCD | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | Logitech MX-518 | Win 7 x64 Professional | Samsung 850 EVO & 840 Pro SSDs

If all people would share opinions in an objective manner, the world would be a friendlier place

Xtreme Member
    I am amazed to see EA lost potential $235M over Crysis 2. No wonder they have gone berserk.

Simple way to counter piracy is to make either cheap games so people wouldnt bother with piracy or offer strong MP component that will anyways require internet connectivity.

Or why can't they just take a new business model - like F2P with in-game ads,micro-transactions etc. ?

They are simply killing the legitimate fanbase.
    Va fail, dh'oine.

"I am going to hunt down people who have strong opinions on subjects they dont understand " - Dogbert

Always rooting for the underdog ...

I am Xtreme
    reported an estimated 3,920,000 pirated copies, resulting in approximately $235,200,000 of lost income.

Remember kids, every downloaded torrent is a lost sale.
    Im just gona download the torrent (not the actual game, cause it won't be worth it anyway) for crysis 10k times to make EA claim its the most pirated game of the millennium.

Also quite funny that they mentioned portal 2.. you know what valves did... they decreased price and made more sales...

But no surprise.. what vales says on piracy:
    Valve:
    In general, we think there is a fundamental misconception about piracy. Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem. For example, if a pirate offers a product anywhere in the world, 24 x 7, purchasable from the convenience of your personal computer, and the legal provider says the product is region-locked, will come to your country 3 months after the U.S. release, and can only be purchased at a brick and mortar store, then the pirate's service is more valuable. Most DRM solutions diminish the value of the product by either directly restricting a customers use or by creating uncertainty.
    And when you look at what recent statements EA made....
    Last edited by Hornet331; 04-25-2012 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tao~ View Post
    I am amazed to see EA lost potential $235M over Crysis 2. No wonder they have gone berserk.

Simple way to counter piracy is to make either cheap games so people wouldnt bother with piracy or offer strong MP component that will anyways require internet connectivity.

Or why can't they just take a new business model - like F2P with in-game ads,micro-transactions etc. ?

They are simply killing the legitimate fanbase.
    or dont have your marketing team leak a copy of the game then count it as piracy. there is no reason that you tell everyone that there was a leak unless you wanted it out there.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400

NooB MOD
    Quote Originally Posted by Vardant View Post
    Have you never experienced a problem with your internet connection? Or how about the servers going down for whatever reason in the middle of the game? Ubisoft was switching servers for their always online games and some of the games were rendered unplayable for a few days.

It also basically kills LAN support in all future games.
    Honestly, the last time I had Internet issues was over a year ago, I thought being in South Africa I'd have some of the worst internet in the world. I guess I'm lucky?
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

Xtreme Batrachian
    My experience with EA DRM is very limited, because they don't publish much that I'm interested in... In fact I have two games that require Origin at the moment, Kingdoms of Amalur and Mass Effect 3.

The latter I can't play because DRM has misfired, and although I have a legitimate Digital Deluxe copy purchased directly from the Origin shop the DLC (which I need to play saved single player games) is not longer authorised by the game, and multiplayer has also deauthorised itself.

This has been going on for three weeks during which I've contacted a number of "Game Advisors" with varying degrees of empathy and knowledge, and re-downloaded/installed the game 5 times (that's 50 GB traffic generated just to indulge these "Game Advisors" while is glaringly obvious that the problem is not on my side of the court) until I've given up on them... That's around £60 to the bin because DRM failed.

Bottom line: DRM detracts from the general gaming experience and hurts only legitimate customers.

EDIT: This problem has actually been suffered by a number of customers, which had varying degrees of success in getting it fixed depending on which "Game Advisor" they spoke to... Those who had it fixed it involved being given new activation keys... Unfortunately is the "chat roulette", depending on who answers the query you will get it resolved or not...
    Last edited by MrToad; 04-26-2012 at 04:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by fart_plume View Post
    First loops are like first sex, all hands and thumbs till you figure out what goes where, then it's what ever works best for you.

Xtreme Addict
    Honestly, the last time I had Internet issues was over a year ago, I thought being in South Africa I'd have some of the worst internet in the world. I guess I'm lucky?
    You'd be surprised how bad some "first world" countries are.

My Irish connection is dire sometimes, in the evenings it even fail to load google.ie and it can have upto around 10-25% packet loss some days.

I guess that's what happens when the irish government sells its telecoms company Eircom and lets it become a privatised monopoly, which then ends up defaulting on its debt.
    Last edited by N19h7m4r3; 04-26-2012 at 04:34 AM.

when was you infrastructure built, were i am in california comcast is using the same as from 15+ years ago and they switch out the switches/routing hardware as they have needed to but they do not have enough bandwidth for how much they let every1 use since they still think that people use the same bandwidth as pre streaming and digital distribution.

I don't condone piracy but those numbers are flawed for a very simple reason. A LOT of people will download a pirated copy of the game simply because they can and it costs them nothing, even if they don't really have much interest in the game. If the pirated copy never existed (somehow), then they would never have gotten the game in the first place.

So taking X number of pirated copies and putting an exact dollar amount on that as "lost sales" is bullcrap.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast