Thread: Finding DAILY stability on FX chips

Threaded View

Xtreme Mentor

Finding DAILY stability on FX chips

This seems to be a matter of contention from alot of folks (and it's somewhat justified)...
    There are so many stress tests to consider, LinX, WPrime, SuperPi, HyperPi, CineBench, OCCT and too many more to mention!

The one obviously missing from this list is Prime95. Even folks who use this as a stress test will argue about how long you need to run it to get real stability...
    When I bought my 1st FX chip, I actually thought something was wrong with P95 because I could pass everything else and still fail Blend in minutes!

P95 Blend is by far the best stability test for FX chips, it heats up and stresses them way more than anything else.
    For that reason, I really don't think you need to run it for hours on end...

If you can get it to blend stable (or Custom (MaxMem)) for 30 minutes you'll be good for everyday use!
    Even Video Encoding, which is the most stressful thing I do, will be good if you can MaxMem Blend for 30 minutes...

Depending on cooling, all my chips crap out ~70c, but nothing will heat them up up like P95!
    If your going to run BOINC/WCG you may need to lower the HTRef a couple clicks, but the above settings will still get you close.

Prime95 Blend is the best stability test IMHO, but don't try to run it for hours on end!
    It's VERY stressfull and you may kill something else in the proccess...

That being said, I swapped out my best chip (the old 8120) for the 8150 and got these results:
    Last edited by Daveburt714; 04-24-2012 at 09:58 PM.
    AMD FX-8350 (1237 PGN) | Asus Crosshair V Formula (bios 1703) | G.Skill 2133 CL9 @ 2230 9-11-10 | Sapphire HD 6870 | Samsung 830 128Gb SSD / 2 WD 1Tb Black SATA3 storage | Corsair TX750 PSU
    Watercooled ST 120.3 & TC 120.1 / MCP35X XSPC Top / Apogee HD Block | WIN7 64 Bit HP | Corsair 800D Obsidian Case

First Computer: Commodore Vic 20 (circa 1981).