Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Intel 22nm 'Ivy Bridge' Core i7 3770K Reviews

Xtreme Addict
    Part of the heat issue is intel looks like did NOT use solder on ivy for die/IHS attach. IMOG posted pic here, showing paste on delided ivy cpu. Some of the cheaper cpus in past have had paste like E7200 paste tim vs E8400 solder tim.

Since not using solder, should get better temps removing IHS, and even better if use high thermal conductance tim (indigo but problematic install) directy to waterblock. Significant portion gradient core/IHS (in past articles describing thermals for IC) was attributed to tim interface. Only takes a minute with razor blade to delid non-soldered IHS...but the real issues are having to mod cpu socket, risk killing board/cpu from shorts if not secured properly.

I assume intel also using paste for xeon counterparts, but wonder...

I guess for running at stock settings, made financial sense to use paste, just less beneficial for overclocking. Wish new thermal conductance, and exactly what they were using though, for comparison sake.
    Last edited by rge; 04-25-2012 at 09:15 AM.

I am Xtreme
    basically youre saying intel doesn't know how to make cpus. that is too funny.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondacity View Post
    I dont think he meant that. What he meant is intel is using paste between the core and IHS instead of soldering it, and that reduces thermal conductivity but is cheaper. I cant verify the points though
    i7 920@4.34 | Rampage II GENE | 6GB OCZ Reaper 1866 | 8800GT (zzz) | Corsair AX750 | Xonar Essence ST w/ 3x LME49720 | HiFiMAN EF2 Amplifier | Shure SRH840 | EK Supreme HF | Thermochill PA 120.3 | MCP355 | XSPC Reservoir | 3/8" ID Tubing

Phenom 9950BE @ 3400/2000 (CPU/NB) | Gigabyte MA790GP-DS4H | HD4850 | 4GB Corsair DHX @850 | Corsair TX650W | T.R.U.E Push-Pull

E2160 @3.06 | ASUS P5K-Pro | BFG 8800GT | 4GB G.Skill @ 1040 | 600W Tt PP

A64 3000+ @2.87 | DFI-NF4 | 7800 GTX | Patriot 1GB DDR @610 | 550W FSP

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kaktus1907 View Post
    that's my point.. i dont buy what everyone says oh it's such a smaller die size that hsf cant cool it blah blah.. we had/have much smaller and similar power draw consumption numbers various chips that this wasnt the case until ivb but now everyone says that..
    And how many transistors both have? The real problem is that there are just more things producing heat for the same die size. I may be wrong but probably that's the reason right there.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Ivy Bridge Temperatures – It’s Gettin’ Hot in Here, courtesy IMOG. We also have a feeler out to Intel for comment. They already commented, but with humor (the interface is "secret sauce"). We hope to get a bit more detail the second time.
    [XC] gomeler - Public note: If you PM me to tell me that I am disrespectful at least have space in your PM box so I can tell you I don't care.

[XC] gomeler - I come to the news section to ban people, not read complaints.

I heart gomeler!

I am Xtreme
    i say someone cut open a cheap IB, scrape that paste off and use it on a test bench and see how it compares to other pastes

also the layer of paste i see in their image shows that its really thick, pointing toward bad pressure

for the argument of how bad paste is, there was a nice little debate about adding a copper plate to the 7970 core so the universal waterblocks could fit, and we were told that it would be only a few C and quite insignificant. so if the IHS is mounted properly, it should contribute to just a few C increase, not 20C

and to the point about density, all math i see sofar points to total chip size, but didnt they increase the gpu size? id rather see core vs core density instead of chip vs chip (it might not change the numbers by much though)
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    and to the point about density, all math i see sofar points to total chip size, but didnt they increase the gpu size? id rather see core vs core density instead of chip vs chip (it might not change the numbers by much though)
    Sandy Bridge die:

Ivy Bridge die:

They appear to be very close to the same amount of die space per core. Ivy may have lost a little bit due to the GPU increase, or they may have simply expanded the CPU in that direction and kept the cores proportionally the same (which looks to be the case based on the die elongation). Either way, the die dedicated to cores is very close to the same.

EDIT - Hahaha...until right now I never noticed they have the same text under the image. That's amusing.
    [XC] gomeler - Public note: If you PM me to tell me that I am disrespectful at least have space in your PM box so I can tell you I don't care.

[XC] gomeler - I come to the news section to ban people, not read complaints.

I heart gomeler!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rge View Post
    Part of the heat issue is intel looks like did NOT use solder on ivy for die/IHS attach.
    It has a temperature issue but it doesn't look like it has a heat issue.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondacity View Post
    No, what I said was intel is using paste instead of solder for die attach per IMOG's pic. Solder has higher thermal conductance. Not so much difference at low power and stock, but larger difference at higher power/Oced. Then I inquired as to what the thermal conductance of intels non-solder paste was.

But you must know the conductance of paste/die attach that intel is using to make that comment. Can you list the thermal conductance of both solder and intels current tim, the difference it makes at stock vs overclock on Ivy die, I am genuinely interested in learning?

@Cold Fussion, I think you were trying to point out that the overall wattage or heat output wasnt the problem, and I never made that claim anyways. I am sure you know what I meant, and I would argue about your nitpicking but after reviewing reading comprehension on other post, clearly you are correct for nitpicking.

Xtreme Addict
    Given the stretched, rectangular design of the die, how much does the orientation of a heatpipe cooler matter?

Does turning a tower cooler 90° make any difference? It's not an optimal solution in terms of case airflow or video card clearance, but I'm just curious..
    Not that water cooled CPU's runs that much cooler tho.

Edit: I realized that dual towers like D14 already have the heatpipe orientation the other way than regular tower coolers.
    Last edited by Mats; 04-25-2012 at 06:11 PM.

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Mats View Post
    Given the stretched, rectangular design of the die, how much does the orientation of a heatpipe cooler matter?

Does turning a tower cooler 90° make any difference? It's not an optimal solution in terms of case airflow or video card clearance, but I'm just curious..
    Not that water cooled CPU's runs that much cooler tho.
    It definitely could depending on if you use a Heatpipe-Direct Touch cooler (middle heatpipe over length of core) or where the heatpipes are placed...

I doubt very much.

I also doubt that the difference in temp between TIM and solder accounts for up to 20c. Maybe 5-10 at most... as dies shrink so does the surface area, one reason we have heatspreaders in the first place is to disperse that heat before it gets to the heatsink.
    Smile

Xtreme Addict
    It'd be cool if the whole void could be filled in with a di-electric heat conductor, its maybe far from feasible, but that might help to dissipate further heat. Anyone willing to try?

Champion
    I see you already linked out graphics study, here is the CPU review and the mobile review:

IVY Bridge – Partea I – Intel Core i5 3570K si Core i7 3770K | lab501

IVY Bridge – Partea III – ASUS K55J | next.lab501
    Weissbier - breakfast of champions

I am Xtreme
    Try your air cooler passively, so without a fan spinning, does it get hot ? doesn't get hot here so conductivity is the issue...
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    i say someone cut open a cheap IB, scrape that paste off and use it on a test bench and see how it compares to other pastes

also the layer of paste i see in their image shows that its really thick, pointing toward bad pressure

for the argument of how bad paste is, there was a nice little debate about adding a copper plate to the 7970 core so the universal waterblocks could fit, and we were told that it would be only a few C and quite insignificant. so if the IHS is mounted properly, it should contribute to just a few C increase, not 20C

yep many variables that people are guessing about
    as for the 7970 shim i made one for my gpu block out of 1mm copper sheet and with 2 globs of arctic ceramic it still beats most full cover blocks temps
    20c ambient water 25c peak temp
    1125mhz 25c idle 34c max during stalker cop benchmark
    Last edited by dasa; 04-26-2012 at 01:54 AM.
    TJ08-EW 6700k@4.7 1.375v - Z170-GENE - 2x8g 3866 16-16-16 - 1070@ 2088\9500MHz -Samsung 830 64G, Sandisk Ultra II 960G, WD Green 3tb - Seasonic XP1050 - Dell U2713 - Pioneer Todoroki 5.1 Apogee Drive II - EK VGA-HF Supreme - Phobia 200mm Rad - Silverstone AP181 Project Darkling
    3770k vs 6700k RAM Scaling, HT vs RAM, Arma III CPU vs RAM, Thief CPU vs RAM

Xtreme Member
    @ Fugger:
    You know that IB CPU that Mike's going to cough up ...
    Got a razor blade & a TRUE, mate?
    You know, in the interests of Xtreme research ...
    Pretty please?
    Think of the qdos there'll be for XS ... Headlines like "XS Overclocking God Sets WR IB Clocks on Air"

(NB: not an IB processor)
    ================================================== ========================================
    [EDIT]:
    korrrhonen has posted his experience with removing an IB IHS at http://www.sf3d.fi/forum/viewtopic.p...&t=50&start=10 (in Finnish)
    1. Without the IHS, the small CPU PC board flexes and the pads don't contact the socket pins properly.
    2. He replaced the Intel TI paste with some high-end stuff and put the IHS back on.
    The difference was not worthwhile for achieving higher clocks - only gained about 50MHz. Temp changes not stated.

He gave no estimate of the thickness of the layer of TI paste.
    Someone else has suggested sanding down the underside of the rim of the IHS to reduce the thickness of the TIM layer.
    Another idea (mine) would be to leave the IHS off and put a shim layer - thin dense cardboard might do - around where the edge of the IHS went, to prevent the CPU PC board flexing away from the socket pins.
    Go for it ...
    Last edited by BlindFreddie; 04-27-2012 at 06:02 AM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345