Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gigabyte 5870 SOC

World Champion - IRONMODS

Gigabyte 5870 SOC

Please use the following mods at your own risk. Nobody here is responsible for damages done!
    Credit to BenchZowner for the mods here....thanks Bill

Simple FB mod: ( corrected!)

Measure the resistance between the circled resistor and a ground and connect a VR ( trimmer ) 20 times the resistance measured.

VID mod:

Check the VRD11 codes for the On Semiconductor ADP4100 from the PDF - http://ceemic.pri.ee/hardware/datasheets/ADP4100.pdf [ nice library Ceemic ]
    And move the resistors to the proper locations ( logic high (1) or logic low (0) ).
    Logic high = front side of the card
    Logic low = rear side of the card

photos:

VID Low ( 0 ) - rear side

VID High ( 1 ) - front side

You have 7 resistors, you have to place 1 resistor for each VID bit ( VID0, VID1, VID2, VID3, VID4, VID5, VID6, VID7 ) to High ( 1 ) or Low ( 0 ) depending on the voltage you want to apply ( according to the ADP4100 datasheet ).
    If you leave a spot open ( not connected via a resistor ) on both Low & High it will be considered as Low ( 0 ) by the PWM controller.

OCP Mod:

You can mod the card ( add a LED ) to monitor OCP, or use an oscilloscope
    If OCP/OVP kick in your GPU's voltage should be 0.3x after it crashes or hangs.

Application - 5870 SOC Tuner beta:

http://www.benchzone.com/Downloads/T...70socTuner.rar

WORKS FINE FOR E.S. cards
    FOR RETAIL CARDS GPU Core Voltage ( Vgpu ) DOES NOT work
    The other voltages ( Vmem, Vpcie, Vddci ) WORK FINE WITH BOTH retail and E.S. cards.
    Last edited by miahallen; 04-22-2010 at 01:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Massman
    My definition of 'efficient' is 'it does not suck monkeyballs'. Yes, I set bars low.
    [CENTER]The post counter is not an intelligence meter!

MAX11L - "It's like a console...with the suck turned down and the awesome turned up" -tet5uo
    Heat Team IRONMODS

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Software SOC Tuner ^^
    OCM Member / IXTREMTEK Admin !!

DDR1 2*256 BH5 Adata @324.7Mhz 1.5/2/2/5 1T at 4v @318.6Mhz Benchs
    DDR2 1*512 Kingston Pc8500 @702Mhz 5/5/5/18 at 2.42v réel
    DDR2 2*1024 Cell Shock Pc8000c4 @534Mhz 3/3/3/8 at 3.5v réel

Cooling : XP90C , Big Typhoon , waterchiller R507 , LN2 ....

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Quote Originally Posted by boblemagnifique View Post
    Software SOC Tuner ^^

Xtreme Cruncher
    For retail card We are limited to almost 1.3v on gpu :/

Life sometimes gets in the way of what we want to do.

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Simple FB mod: ( corrected!)

Measure the resistance between the circled resistor and a ground and connect a VR ( trimmer ) 20 times the resistance measured.

VID mod:

Check the VRD11 codes for the On Semiconductor ADP4100 from the PDF - http://ceemic.pri.ee/hardware/datasheets/ADP4100.pdf [ nice library Ceemic ]
    And move the resistors to the proper locations ( logic high (1) or logic low (0) ).
    Logic high = front side of the card
    Logic low = rear side of the card

photos:

VID Low ( 0 ) - rear side

VID High ( 1 ) - front side

You have 7 resistors, you have to place 1 resistor for each VID bit ( VID0, VID1, VID2, VID3, VID4, VID5, VID6, VID7 ) to High ( 1 ) or Low ( 0 ) depending on the voltage you want to apply ( according to the ADP4100 datasheet ).
    If you leave a spot open ( not connected via a resistor ) on both Low & High it will be considered as Low ( 0 ) by the PWM controller.

Application - 5870 SOC Tuner beta:

http://www.benchzone.com/Downloads/T...70socTuner.rar

WORKS FINE FOR E.S. cards
    FOR RETAIL CARDS GPU Core Voltage ( Vgpu ) DOES NOT work
    The other voltages ( Vmem, Vpcie, Vddci ) WORK FINE WITH BOTH retail and E.S. cards.
    Last edited by BenchZowner; 04-22-2010 at 08:44 AM.
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Sorry made an oops before, corrected the simple FB mod.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Thanks BZ....what's the advantage of the VID mod? Does it get rid of OCP?

OC Guru seems to be working alright for me (including vGPU).
    But I need to use DMM for manual voltage monitoring to be sure.
    Last edited by miahallen; 04-22-2010 at 07:45 AM.
    My definition of 'efficient' is 'it does not suck monkeyballs'. Yes, I set bars low.

MAX11L - "It's like a console...with the suck turned down and the awesome turned up" -tet5uo
    Heat Team IRONMODS

Xtreme Legend
    pm me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shammy View Post
    No Saying, but Showing

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Quote Originally Posted by miahallen View Post
    Thanks BZ....what's the advantage of the VID mod? Does it get rid of OCP?
    VID mode overrides OVP ( Over-Voltage Protection ).

OCP needs to be done regardless of how you mod your card ( if you get it to kick in, don't know if it's necessary )

[ waiting for a front photo to complete the VID mod guide ]

Quote Originally Posted by BenchZowner View Post
    [ waiting for a front photo to complete the VID mod guide ]
    Give me about 20 minutes

Heat Team IRONMODS

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Take your time

Thanks Bill

Heat Team IRONMODS

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Thanks miah.
    Post edited, both mods are complete and kind of explained ( in short ) now

Xtreme Addict
    Can anyone confirm if my line of thought is right:

If I want 1.55vgpu all I need to do is move VID6 R858 (high) to VID6 R859 (low) and VID3
    R5253 (low) to VID3 R5246 (high) = 1.55vgpu?
    //RETIRED-o00o--°(_)°--o00o-OVERCLOCKER//

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jor3lBR View Post
    Can anyone confirm if my line of thought is right:

If I want 1.55vgpu all I need to do is move VID6 R858 (high) to VID6 R859 (low) and VID3
    R5253 (low) to VID3 R5246 (high) = 1.55vgpu?
    The only two resistors you need high for 1.55 VGPU are 3 and 1, so if all others are low that is correct (leaving pins open results in them being pulled low anyway).

You are right to choose the VID mods rather than screwing with FB pin mods. Error amp gain is set by an RC combo which will be affected and end up quite nasty in some instances (feedback can go positive).
    Last edited by Raja@ASUS; 04-22-2010 at 11:20 AM.

OK.....I did VID mod for 1.55V and I'm getting 1.6V actual. But it seems to be running fine at -100C right now.

Heat Team IRONMODS

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Yeah, what I forgot to mention is that huge overvoltage.
    Check for coldbug temp miah, and get ready for another mod if it's bugging low

My stupid sample artifacted after a few seconds of running at 1.4V ( modded for 1.35V... :@ ) on air, and never came back to life ( keeps artifacting no matter what grrrrr )

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Yeah, what I forgot to mention is that huge overvoltage.
    Check for coldbug temp miah, and get ready for another mod if it's bugging low

My stupid sample artifacted after a few seconds of running at 1.4V ( modded for 1.35V... :@ ) on air, and never came back to life ( keeps artifacting no matter what grrrrr )

Took her down to -160C once and black screened on me....I'm pretty sure it was CB
    Testing with Vantage right now, but it doesn't wasnt to run at more than 1250MHz
    Testing at -80-90C now....

How can I monitor for OCP?

I may be bugging low
    Last edited by miahallen; 04-22-2010 at 12:32 PM.

Heat Team IRONMODS

Yup....definitly CB around -160C

Heat Team IRONMODS

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    OCP Mod:

You can mod the card ( add a LED ) to monitor OCP, or use an oscilloscope
    If OCP/OVP kick in your GPU's voltage should be 0.3x after it crashes or hangs.

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    You can try disconnecting the TTsen pin ( temp sensor ) to see if you can get the CB temperature lower.

Well....I'm about done for today. Not too please with the results
    Passed Vantage @ 1300/1300 but only with slow CPU (i5 670 @ stock), once I OCed the CPU (pushed the GPU a little harder?) the GPU would fail at 1300
    It was doing fine at 1250MHz at -70C...but dropping temps all the way down to -150C wouldn't get me through at 1300....

I'm thinking I will VID mod again for sloightly less voltage, maybe I'm overdriving it? Based on the symptoms you describ, I'm not hitting OCP, so that's good. But somethings not right....or this GPU just sucks....I'll try again tomorrow

Thanks again for the help Bill

edit - OP updated
    Last edited by miahallen; 04-22-2010 at 01:30 PM.

Heat Team IRONMODS

¿
    I wouldn't do a VID mod until you've tested the card, no way to know if 1.6V is the sweet spot.

Yeah....a bit of trial and error really

After the VID mod, the OC Guru SW will still allow an extra 0.2V so I could have tried up to 1.8V via the SW (but I didn't )
    I think I'll change to a 1.4V VID tomorrow and use SW to find the sweet spot between 1.4-1.6V
    Last edited by miahallen; 04-22-2010 at 01:57 PM.

Heat Team IRONMODS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast