Thread: Some questions, mostly theoretical

Xtreme Member

Some questions, mostly theoretical

So for starters, I haven't been on the uppity-up of the enthusiast overclocker scene in about 6 years, so forgive me here.

I understand that overclocking wears out parts faster. But why? Is it a heat issue? If so, will a better cooler alleviate this? Is it electrolysis, silicon drift, logic gate damage?

I'm asking because I hear these Core i5 and i7 parts overclock very well on air. So naturally, I wanna build a rig (used mostly for gaming and homework) that has a stable, daily overclock, without the hassle of water cooling and without the cost of phase change (if it's still mega expensive, IDK). The thing is, I graduate from college in a year from now, and I'm most likely headed for grad school. I don't know when I'll have the money to replace any parts that burn out (or for that matter, even to upgrade). If I can alleviate the wear-out process to a reasonable timeframe by buying the best air cooler on the market, I'll do it. But if the problem is simply voltage related, and not heat related, then it won't make a darn bit of difference, and it would be safer for me to go with a more minimalistic overclock and even save some money on a cooler in the process.

Also, what is the best, top of the line air cooler out there for the LGA 1155? And what, in your opinion, is the best value cooler out there? I.E. Bang/Buck.

Has thermal paste changed? Is there a new best besides Arctic Silver 5?

And whatever happened to DFI? Last time I bought a motherboard, they were kings of the enthusiast niche, along with, to a lesser extent, ABIT.

One other random question: Will USB3.0 work with the front panel ports on a case that was designed for USB 2.0? Do I need a new case?
    Last edited by thegoatman; 04-20-2012 at 02:57 AM.
    The day we rename "Infanticide" as "After-Birth Abortions" is the day I give up on society.

Xtreme Member
    Bump. Come on, it's my birthday! Be a pal and answer a few questions! :S
    The day we rename "Infanticide" as "After-Birth Abortions" is the day I give up on society.

c[_]
    overclocking: all of the above and then some.

I like the Noctua NH-D14.

yes... kind of.

They hit an ice berg.

No, you dont need a new case, you just need to use a different font panel adaptor. One that fits in an optical drive bay is a good idea.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Member
    Thanks!