Thread: Instead of Surround, Why Not Top, Medium, & Bottom Heights?

Threaded View

Xtreme Member

Instead of Surround, Why Not Top, Medium, & Bottom Heights?

This is something I've been thinking about awhile now. One thing I never understood was the idea behind audio surround for a computer. I have 7 speakers in surround but there's no way I'll be able to position the rear speakers in back of me. When you're at a computer, you need room and to move around in the chair. If you place speakers in the corners of the room you'll need to crank up the volume and chances are you're wife, mom, dad, or kids are going to be hearing you're gaming session. When I think of surround, I think of the theaters and basements with big screen TVs. This really isn't needed for the basic computer user.

Has anyone thought about making sound in levels, from ground level, desk level, and to above desk level? This IMO would be great for computer games. This is actually how I have it. I have my rear speakers positioned on the ground with sub-woofer, my side speakers are on both sides of the monitor, my center speaker on a small shelf above the monitor (could be positioned behind the monitor if you didn't have a shelf), my front speakers are up high with another sub-woofer. That was the only way I was able to distinguish the sounds, without going all out theater setup.

Foot steps could be heard down below, talking desk level, environment (wind, rain, and what ever above character's head) on the top level. Wouldn't this be a more realistic way of using sound for PCs?
    Last edited by Bad213Boy; 04-18-2012 at 02:42 PM.
    | NZXT H630 (White) | ASUS Maximus VI Hero | Intel i5 4760K | CORSAIR Dominator GT 8GB @2000MHz Memory | MSI Gaming Twin Force GTX 770 2GB @ Power Limit + %185 | ASUS Xonar HDAV 1.3 Deluxe Audio Card | Philips amBX Premium Kit | Nvidia 3D Vision 2 |