Thread: Who's up for some BIOS editing glory (3570k with HT enabled) ?

Xtreme Member

Who's up for some BIOS editing glory (3570k with HT enabled) ?

The fact that both 3570k & 3770k were identical die-wise was a known fact since day one. Nowadays it seams like Intel didn't laser-cut the HT part either, and the the whole HT-disabled-thing takes place on microcode level only, during the initialization sequence.

It seems like that the planets were lined up for ocn's "aerotracks" and his 3570k, which got the HT on after some random memory fiddling. Ocn's "Gamester3333" is going through a couple of BIOS bumps to make it happen again, for the rest of us.

...The bios is responsible for enumerating them, and it does this based on one or possibly two bytes read from the chip itself. Of note, the chip tells the bios that is has one logical core per physical one, but the rest of the specifications are the same. It still tells the bios to reserve address space for the "missing" cores! If you want to know which byte it is specifically, it's the rightmost byte in register ebx, after executing the cpuid instruction with a value of 0x0000000b in the eax register, and 0x00000000 in the ecx register.

That one byte tells the bios "I have one/two threads per core". The next byte is found by putting 0x0000000b in eax, 0x00000001 in ecx, and executing cpuid again. this byte basically says how many total "cores" there are. So for example: if i tell it two threads per core, 4 total cores, then it will (presumably) run my i5 like an i3! with ht on, but the last 4 "cores" turned off.

So i need to change those two bytes to read "two threads per core", "eight total threads". The supporting information, ie: cache sizes and the like, are already set the same as an i7, ready and willing to support the hyperthreaded cores. what i need most is to get this done, find the part of the bios that initializes the cores, and poke it.

I have the what, the why, and the how. I need the where. I have a general idea of the when, but it's not helping as much as you'd think.

I take the liberty to ask everyone here for any helpful input. This is the original thread -> http://www.overclock.net/t/1496007/3...unlocked-4c-8t C'mon XSers, give the guy a helping hand

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ccaution View Post
    The fact that both 3570k & 3770k were identical die-wise was a known fact since day one. Nowadays it seams like Intel didn't laser-cut the HT part either, and the the whole HT-disabled-thing takes place on microcode level only, during the initialization sequence.

It seems like that the planets were lined up for ocn's "aerotracks" and his 3570k, which got the HT on after some random memory fiddling. Ocn's "Gamester3333" is going through a couple of BIOS bumps to make it happen again, for the rest of us.

I take the liberty to ask everyone here for any helpful input. This is the original thread -> http://www.overclock.net/t/1496007/3...unlocked-4c-8t C'mon XSers, give the guy a helping hand
    Hm, very intersting. I'd like to turn my 3570k into a 3770k for zero bucks............ but I have not the knowledge. No idea why nobody answers.

Keep this bumped.
    If nothing works nomore......:

Xtreme Member
    ^ I will mate, but noone seems to care here - it's underwelming for such a forum, ain't it?

Intel on the other hand seems to care. Remember those "Update Utilities" for their laptops, that actually changed CPUIDs - dead links everywhere...

Xtreme Addict
    here ppls are interested more with some solid evidence. put some serious thing on the table and all will respond
    Last edited by xpower; 07-01-2014 at 01:51 AM.
    [FSB<>BCLK]
    3930k@4.3Ghz 1.30v HT On 24/7 Full load Linx stable/Lapped~Strix 6600xt~970evo~Gt110
    R4Gene Modded Bios~Corsair 2x8Gb@2.4Ghz 1.65v C11~AX1200i
    SORRY FOR MY BAD ENGLISH