Thread: Is Norton 2012 better than NOD32 5?

Xtreme Addict

Is Norton 2012 better than NOD32 5?

Anyone? I use NOD32... have a paid yearly subscription. However, with my comcast acct I get Norton 2012 for a year for free.
    Boy that info was old. As am I. Currently my kids have taken over my desktops. They are both sporting matching GTX1080's. Last Christmas I got everyone Oculuses and thus GTX1080's. My eldest is some sort of CSGO champion gold label something or other. Me I work and shoot real guns. Build Comps as needed.

I am Xtreme
    internet security suite?

you're in luck pcmag(my favorite security review site)released a new review a few days ago

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2369749,00.asp
    Last edited by Hondacity; 04-16-2012 at 04:20 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    You would be better off with a free one like Avast or Microsoft Security Essentials as they are better than Nortons rubbish.

Nod32 and Kaspersky are probably still the top 2 AVs available. I use Avast and Comodo firewall on my laptop as a security measure and both work great.

Xtreme Addict
    norton is fine, its a lot better than some posters here are giving it credit. Stay far far away from kaspersky i see so many issues at work with computers having kaspersky installed. It really likes to mess up your mouse/keyboard filters. If anything go with security essentials but since norton is free id use that over mse.
    Ive used nod32, norton, mse, kaspersky, webroot, trendmicro, and out of them all norton bugs me the least and ive had less issues withi t.
    i9-10900k@5.3ghz//MSI MEG z490 Unify//32GB Gskill TridentZ b.die@DDR4666//RTX 2080ti(+150/+700) kingpin bios//Samsung 970 Pro//Corsair AX1200i
    Custom Loop: Dual DDCs->Dual EK XE360 w/GT's -> HK IV CPU -> HK IV GPU ->EK X3 Res controlled by Aquaero 6

Xtreme Member
    I've did a lot of testing with Norton in VBox against viruses. On a clean machine, it's hard to beat Norton for protection.
    Q9550-Evga 780i A1-X-Fi Platinum
    ThermalTake 850-9800GTX/8800GT
    8GB GSkill 8500
    2 x 90GB OCZ Agility3 Raid 0-BenQ 20.1 WS

Xtreme Member
    You can try the new Eset 5 Beta here. It works good also...

http://www.eset.com/us/beta/endpoint/
    8GB GSkill 8500

Xtreme Addict
    No, not security suites. Im only interested in AV. And those that are not giving Norton any credit need to know that all the independant testing facilities are giving it top marks. Since posting I have been reading and there seems to be about 5 independant companies that are considered good and reliable independants and all of them are putting norton right up at the top if not on top.

WHat I dont like is when they ding the software for things like interface usability and stuff like that. Who cares if the window looks good or is intuitive. ALL I care about is its ability to protect.
    Last edited by little_scrapper; 04-19-2012 at 10:27 AM.
    Boy that info was old. As am I. Currently my kids have taken over my desktops. They are both sporting matching GTX1080's. Last Christmas I got everyone Oculuses and thus GTX1080's. My eldest is some sort of CSGO champion gold label something or other. Me I work and shoot real guns. Build Comps as needed.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by little_scrapper View Post
    No, not security suites. Im only interested in AV. And those that are not giving Norton any credit need to know that all the independant testing facilities are giving it top marks. Since posting I have been reading and there seems to be about 5 independant companies that are considered good and reliable independants and all of them are putting norton right up at the top if not on top.

WHat I dont like is when they ding the software for things like interface usability and stuff like that. Who cares if the window looks good or is intuitive. ALL I care about is its ability to protect.
    Check out Wilders Security Forum, they have a lot of info on that site.
    8GB GSkill 8500

I am Xtreme

whats that 5 independent companies? i need to know

MS security essentials gets the same definitions as every other symantec product and they have very similar heuristic scanning. i'm not sure why they rated norton as having a good firewall, it's a pain in the ass to setup and dose not have program specific functions that work properly and lets signed windows files to have open reign making it insecure.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    MS security essentials gets the same definitions as every other symantec product and they have very similar heuristic scanning. i'm not sure why they rated norton as having a good firewall, it's a pain in the ass to setup and dose not have program specific functions that work properly and lets signed windows files to have open reign making it insecure.
    There is nothing to setup? Just use default and it works fine.
    8GB GSkill 8500

Xtreme Addict
    ICSA Labs ~ https://www.icsalabs.com/
    Virus bulletin ~ http://www.virusbtn.com/index
    chackmark

a few others.