Thread: Motherboard system and northbridge temps don't update

Xtreme Member

Motherboard system and northbridge temps don't update

Speedfan, hwmonitor, and hwinfo, don't show correct system and NB temps.

On a fresh boot (from the system off state), the temps show -128C in these programs. When I reboot, then it correctly shows the temps as they are during the boot. But they don't update again unless I reboot the system.

Anyone else have the same issue or know a fix for this?

BTW, this may somehow be related to IT8720F because the voltages in the software are not updating too. CPU-Z used to show lower voltages as my clocks were throttled back for EIST. Now the voltage is constant.

Technician
    Switch to the backup bios and see if it still happens... Odd one that dude!

Xtreme Member
    I just found out a pretty strange bug. I can't see how this was put in on purpose.

When I set the cpu fan in the bios to smart fan, then the northbridge temp, motherboard temp, cpu vcore, and some other voltages get regularly updated in windows.

When I set the cpu fan to "By Duty -Cycle" at 50%, then the northbridge temp, motherboard temp, cpu vcore, and some other voltages don't get regularly updated in windows. It's the issue I explained in the OP. Note: The CPU temp is always updated in both scenarios.

I'm running the P11 bios. Haven't tried my backup bios (P06) because I'm running a video card with 2 gb of ram. I recall there was a problem with booting the board with video cards with more than 1 gb of ram.

Can you guys confirm the same problem on P11 bios and/or on other bios versions.

Xtreme Member
    The strangeness continues.

When I set the cpu fan duty cycle at 50, 55, 60 %, then the stats I mentioned before don't get updated.

But when I set the cpu fan duty cycle to 65% or 90% (haven't tested between 65 and 90), then the stats get updated. My hunch is that it does get updated at any value above 65%.

NOTE: This is probably related. No matter what percentage you set in the fan duty cycle in the bios, the program will always select cpu for 63%, nb for 50% and system for 50% after you exit the bios and enter windows. When you start up speedfan, these are the speeds it shows and speedfan only reads the initial speed readings. This is probablly a fail-safe noob thing they implemented in case some noobs set the cpu fan too low.

So the bios probably reads the fan at 40% and goes into alert mode and overrides the fan settings and sets cpu fan to 63% and also goes overboard and doesn't update the settings I mentioned in the OP. But when the cpu fan in the bios is set to 65% or higher, it probably doesn't trigger the fail-safe and the settings do get updated.

Just FYI because I think support for this board is dead.