Thread: Laptop help, HP/voodoo envy 133 questions and linux as well

Xtreme Enthusiast

Laptop help, HP/voodoo envy 133 questions and linux as well

So... I have an old envy 133 kicking around here. It's that custom carbon fiber one from when HP and voodoo teamed up for that brief moment. It's still a looker and I don't need much power on the go honestly. I've tried to google-fu the answers to my questions and came up short. So I turn to you gentlemen! I figure maybe one of you guys had one of these back in the day.

Can you install linux on this sucker? My ideal use for this thing would be to drop a good linux install on it and call it a day. But all linux information I find rants about the VIOS that comes with it. If anybody knows if open suse works that would be ideal as it's what I use at work.

Win 7? Information is rather nill as well. I'm fairly sure that would work, haven't tried though.

Currently the pata/zif SSD is fried, I have another on the way. I don't want to get rid of it as it's a gorgeous piece of kit and I only need internet access and basic office functionality off the thing anyways. I know there is a bit of custom hardware on it which is why I'm gun shy about tossing a new OS on it, were it a generic laptop I'd just call it a day.

Thanks in advance duders!
    AMD Phenom II BE, ASUS Crosshair II formula, 8gb ddr2 800, 470 SLI, PC P&C 750, arcera RAID, 4x OCZ Vertex2, 2x samsung 7200 1tb, HT Omega Clario +

Xtreme Enthusiast
    if anyone cares the latest linux mint works fine and enables all the proprietary stuff.
    AMD Phenom II BE, ASUS Crosshair II formula, 8gb ddr2 800, 470 SLI, PC P&C 750, arcera RAID, 4x OCZ Vertex2, 2x samsung 7200 1tb, HT Omega Clario +

Snuggie_Deluxe
    Hey, just joined to ask you a question regarding the Envy 133. I just picked one up a few months ago because it was dirt cheap and it was a solid deal. I only use it for taking notes, word, and email (primarily school and business purposes). The only issue is the standard 4200rpm hdd is way to slow for me and I absolutely hate the roughly 1.5-2 minute start up time (to usability), and that's after doing a fresh install of windows 7. I noticed you were putting a new hdd in your's and was wondering if you could give me any insight into the process. I'm wanting to put a ssd in, however, I don't know what interface it uses nor how easy it is to that (do I have to take the entire thing apart and remove the motherboard?). Just wondering if you had any tips!