Thread: New MAME Arcade Cabinet Idea

New MAME Arcade Cabinet Idea

Hi all,
    Just wanted to post a few pic's of the MAME Arcade cabinet i just completed. It is made of 3/4" MDF, stands 6' tall by 2' wide and was a blast to design and build. I painted it in Disney Springtime Grass color that looks really clean. The game i choose for the cabinet is Mission Paintball. It is a multi-level game that will allow you to save your progress. As far as the tubing in the middle, i just decided to think outside of the box on this one. My first MAME cabinet was a traditional design that was fun to build but, didn't satisfy my creative side. My second project was a 1 .5" PVC Racing structure. Fun to make, allows for lot's of creativity but, steered me away from the MAME arena that i love. So, for my third project, i decided to combine the two concepts. Whenever i see Paintball advertisements, TV shows, etc. there is often some kind of reference to the letter "X". X-treme, X-hillerating action, etc. So, i decided to incorporate the letter "X" into my design by way of PVC pipe (hard to see the X image from the photo's). I mounted the PVC to the cabinet using 14 2" wood screws and it is very secure. The bottom of the cabinet is empty and bottomless to save on a little weight. The camo designs are obtained via a series of 8.5"x11" foam sheets covered in (picture frame width) plexiglass. This glass is very easy to cut but, fairly brittle. If you can keep from striking or kicking it, you will have a nice glossy overlay for your designs (FYI, i also used this plexiglass over the console art on my traditional Black MAME cabinet). For the Paintball cabinet, all of the circuitry and wiring for the 27" TV, RF Modulator and marquee lighting is housed in the rear of the top half of the cabinet. The electronics for the game itself are all housed within the gun. Now, on to my fourth and final project. A sit down MAME cabinet to house the Playstation2 "Snow X Racing" game. If i can get a decent camera, i will try to chronicle my next build.

See ya,
    noir11
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Paintball Machine2.JPG 
Views:	899 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	125283   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Paintball Machine1.JPG 
Views:	941 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	125282   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Paintball Machine3.JPG 
Views:	881 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	125284   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arcade Machine1.JPG 
Views:	903 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	125285   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PVC Racing :banana::banana::banana::banana:pit_24 inch Mon1.JPG 
Views:	906 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	125286  

Last edited by noir11; 04-12-2012 at 08:40 AM.

PI in the face
    this is awesome! I always wanted a mame setup
    Quote Originally Posted by L0ud View Post
    So many opinions and so few screenshots

The kids love the setup. We had 10 kids (2-9yrs old) over for Easter and one of the kids asked if i could build a machine for him.

Forgot to add that, under the console panel of the Paintball cabinet, there are 100 Green Christmas lights. They are installed at a 45 degree angle so the green glow covers the entire PVC pipe area. The bulbs themselves are not visible unless you bend over and look under the console.

Xtreme Addict
    Frogger called, he wants his skin back.
    \Project\ Triple Surround Fury
    Case:
    Mountain Mods Ascension (modded)
    CPU: i7 920 @ 4GHz + EK Supreme HF (plate #1)
    GPU: GTX 670 3-Way SLI + XSPC Razor GTX670 water blocks
    Mobo: ASUS Rampage III Extreme + EK FB R3E water block
    RAM: 3x 2GB Mushkin Enhanced Ridgeback DDR3 @ 6-8-6-24 1T
    SSD: Crucial M4 256GB, 0309 firmware
    PSU: 2x Corsair HX1000s on separate circuits
    LCD: 3x ASUS VW266H 26" Nvidia Surround @ 6030 x 1200
    Games: AoE II: HD, BF4, MKKE, MW2 via FourDeltaOne (Domination all day!)

Xtreme Member
    Evokes so many memories! Beautiful! Congratz!

Xtreme Member
    Very beautiful Retro lover
    混沌とした アンモラル

I was nearly done with this new build before i remembered to take photo's. I figured it was too late at that point. Here is the finished cabinet. It is 3/4" MDF. 6'X5'X2'. Based on the old Pole Position design. The game engine is a simple Playstation 2 that sits on a shelf accessible by a front hinged/magnetic access door under the steering wheel. Basically, any game machine can be installed within minutes. It has a Logitech Force GT steering wheel and foot pedals, 24" RCA monitor, 4" Kicker speakers (in seat) and 4" Boss speakers (above TV screen). The sound system also includes a 3"X1" graphic equalizer and a 12V mini power Amp. The cab has storage space under the seat which also has a hinged/magnetic access door . (Will send photo later). The seat itself is 3'X2', padded with memory foam and covered in black vinyl. The floor is covered in black carpet. Unlike the original Pole Position cabinet, leg room on this cab extends all the way to the rear. Built into the rear part of the roof (curved part) is a 12"X10" laptop fan plate to help remove any trapped heat. Next to that (flat part of rear-about adult head level) is a removable/velcro plexiglass window. Inside the electronics side of the cab are two fans. One pointing vertically to push the hot air away from the electronics. The second is mounted at the top/rear of the cab to move the hot air out. I placed a standard house thermometer inside (and viewable from the top/rear window) so i can monitor the heat levels. Finally, i wanted a Marquee but, couldn't figure a good way to build it into the cab. So, i made a separate Marquee box out of extra MDF that will be mounted on the wall above the cab. The box contains a 12" AC fluorescent light. All electronics are tied into power strips then a Christmas Tree foot pedal cord. Power is delivered to the cab and Marquee with one touch of your foot. I always have so much fun building these cab's, i'm bummed when they're done. Although, i look forward to starting my next project.

Name:	Off Road_Cab.jpg 
Views:	554 
Size:	120.3 KB 
ID:	129161   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Off Road_Console.jpg 
Views:	521 
Size:	150.3 KB 
ID:	129162   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Off Road_seat.jpg 
Views:	520 
Size:	106.2 KB 
ID:	129163   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Off Road_pedals.jpg 
Views:	539 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	129164   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Off Road_Marquee.jpg 
Views:	578 
Size:	136.4 KB 
ID:	129165  

Xtreme Addict
    Cool .

I'm not really all that into cabs, except maybe peeps trying to do exact replicates.
    I am into collecting decals and manual/service instructions though, admittedly I have not look for them in a long time.
    I'm sure you guys know of the flyer's...

I did always want a racing control setup, one with a clutch and 7 gears.
    The only game I know off hand that I could actually hook it all to would be the ridge racers .

Offtopic
    I've been trying to get my hands on a projector, and really need to figure out the xbox 360 controller situation.
    I'de like to play some 4 player coop and such on the big screen, that be cool.
    Other then that I was actually planning on using it to replace the 23.6 tiny thing that I got now...

PCSX2 v1 final came out the other day, I don't know if you guys are interested...

A few more photo's...
    FYI, the drawer handle is mounted straight. It just twisted as the screw turned into it.

Name:	Off Road_Front Drawer.JPG 
Views:	485 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	129181   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Off Road_Playstation2.JPG 
Views:	487 
Size:	179.6 KB 
ID:	129182   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Off Road_EQ_AMP.JPG 
Views:	485 
Size:	141.2 KB 
ID:	129183   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Off Road_Chair Storage.JPG 
Views:	484 
Size:	134.0 KB 
ID:	129184   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Off Road_Chair Storage2.JPG 
Views:	464 
Size:	168.5 KB 
ID:	129185