Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Z77X-UD5H Review (Benchmarks with SB, BIOS, MVP Analysis)

Hey,

thanks for your awesome review, really interesting read. Hope you don't mind me posting a little question/problem I am experiencing:

What would you consider the best BIOS for the UD5H yet?

I personally still have a few problems with the board as I get "Boot failure" every time I enter the BIOS with (stable) OC Settings on. However, the settings are still saved (thank god) so I don't have to enter them again (or load a profile) when I enter the UEFI. However, in 1 or 2 of 100 Boots I get an infinity boot loop (until I push the reset CMOS button) out of nowhere and without any reason (as the same settings worked the last 99 times before).

I tested 2 power supplies, 3 CPUs (all SB) and 4 Ram kits... so I basically ruled out everything except the board itself. Maybe it's defective or just a bugged BIOS version (tried F5 and F6d recently, the boot loops improved a lot as I had them almost half of the time with F5g and earlier, but the other problems are still the same)?

What do you think about it?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

I am Xtreme
    yes this problem seems to only be with Sandy Bridge, i experienced it myself, however i have not had this problem with the 3rd generation core i7 processor. probably needs a microcode update. As you said the board is till running at your OC and it just boots into the BIOS and says failure but isn't. i reported the problem should be fixed through a simple microcode update.

They are just issues with Sandy that don't exist with ivy. Ill report that you have boot loops, but you restarted your board 100 times?.........

next time can you tell me what settings. Thanks. Why would you restart your board 100 times? Maybe it got angry at you.
    Last edited by sin0822; 04-13-2012 at 07:53 PM.

Xtreme Legend
    i dont think you are actually stable
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

tHey,

thanks for your reply. Glad to hear it's not my only board that is having such issues - and thanks for forwarding the issue to GB.

I've been testing the board for ~4 weeks now, so I think 100 boots is a reasonable number (even though it was just a guess as I didn't count the exact numbers ofc... but having boot loops in 2-3% case of all boots is pretty much the real number).

As I'm not benching and just looking for the best VCore Value at 4,5 and 5GHZ (or actually the smallest difference to VID and the best temperatures for running it 24/7) and checking if the CPU is running Prime/LinX stable with it, I have to do more reboots than bencher who just pump up the VCore, check for Maxboot and then unleash the power of their SS.

Regards,
    Last edited by ralle_h; 04-16-2012 at 01:56 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Nice review Sin.
    Gawd ugly heatsinks. I am hoping this is the board I go with for LN2 but waiting to grab Ivy first.
    Last edited by NoGuru; 04-14-2012 at 05:58 AM.

Xtreme Member

Boot loops

Quote Originally Posted by ralle_h View Post
    tHey,

thanks for your reply. Glad to hear it's not my only board that is having such issues - and thanks for forwarding the issue to GB.

I've been testing the board for ~4 months now, so I think 100 boots is a reasonable number (even though it was just a guess as I didn't count the exact numbers ofc... but having boot loops in 2-3% case of all boots is pretty much the real number).

As I'm not benching and just looking for the best VCore Value at 4,5 and 5GHZ (or actually the smallest difference to VID and the best temperatures for running it 24/7) and checking if the CPU is running Prime/LinX stable with it, I have to do more reboots than bencher who just pump up the VCore, check for Maxboot and then unleash the power of their SS.

Regards,
    Hi im also having issues with SB (i7 2600K). Ive been testin for the last 2 days straight in fact ive lost 1 nights whole sleep over this mobo.
    Try setting BCKL to AUTO. Im currently on 4.6GHz 1.38V LLC Extreme

My issues are random i can bench n prime no probs...BUT its when i shutdown and try to switch on again. Sometimes the power just goes off then on again then fails...I normally just pull the plug out for 2 mins then boot again.

I ordered another PSU and just saw your post ive cancelled my order now cos it aint my PSU its prob buggy bios.

After setting BCKL to auto im getting less boot issues worth a try.
    Corsair carbide 400R case
    Corsair AX-750W PSU
    Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH (F13a)
    Gigabyte GTX 680 OC WF3X
    Intel i7 2600K @ 4.8GHz Antec Kuhler 620
    Gskill Ripjaw 16GB DDR3 2133 (10 11 10 28 1T) 1.62v
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Win 8 X64
    Samsung F4 2TB
    Seagate ST3000DM001 3TB
    Pioneer 216BK DVDRW
    Liteon iHas 324 DVDRW

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by dinos22 View Post
    i dont think you are actually stable
    Yes we are, if you add a 2nd GPU it even get's worse when using a SB CPU
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

Xtreme Member

Z77X-UD5 oc guide without VGA just IGP

Quote Originally Posted by Leeghoofd View Post
    Yes we are, if you add a 2nd GPU it even get's worse when using a SB CPU
    Hi guys wanted to ask if its possible to overclock i7 2600k to 4.6GHz with no VGA card just IGP. Is this safe ?
    Does Sandy bridge overclock better once Graphics card is installed (Just 1)

Could we have a template of the bios settings. CPUz doesnt show correct voltage seems to show VTT..Which is correct EasyTune 6 or Realtemp VID ??? Im assuming Easytune 6 shows CPU volts + LLC and Realtemp 3.70 shows just the CPU volt minus the LLC.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Corsair AX-750W PSU
    Gigabyte GTX 680 OC WF3X
    Samsung F4 2TB
    Seagate ST3000DM001 3TB
    Pioneer 216BK DVDRW
    Liteon iHas 324 DVDRW

I am Xtreme
    easytune is correct, but if you want real correct try a digital multimeter on the read point. FYI look at my LLC table in the review it will give you the exact droop and such(i did the testing at 4.5ghz with a high voltage just so it was under enough load), if you use LLC turbo which i think is best for air/water you should be fine.

Yea iGPU only with OC is fine, I was running that today when i was testing the boards for issues with SB at 4.5ghz. and i can confirm, the issues with SB don't persist with IB. Also about the BIOS saying OC failed when your OC is fine, it happens after two restarts in a row, either by button or software, if you power up or power down and don't use restart in between two restarts then the board wont do that. If it cycles, let it cycle it will recover itself, in the case of a cycle more than 2 times, let it keep going, it will boot into windows with your OC after a few more cycles, this only happens with SB, as does the restart thing, so i think they should fix it soon. perhaps it is fixed in the next BIOS updated, i tested with F6D this weekend.

Xtreme Addict
    Wow this is my next board, thanks for both threads you made on this sin
    Mpower Max | 4770k | H100 | 16gb Sammy 30nm 1866 | GTX780 SC | Xonar Essence Stx | BIC DV62si | ATH AD700 | 550d | AX850 | VG24QE | 840pro 256gb | 640black | 2tb | CherryReds | m60 | Func1030 |
    HEAT

Xtreme Member

Thanx keep us posted

Quote Originally Posted by sin0822 View Post
    easytune is correct, but if you want real correct try a digital multimeter on the read point. FYI look at my LLC table in the review it will give you the exact droop and such(i did the testing at 4.5ghz with a high voltage just so it was under enough load), if you use LLC turbo which i think is best for air/water you should be fine.

Yea iGPU only with OC is fine, I was running that today when i was testing the boards for issues with SB at 4.5ghz. and i can confirm, the issues with SB don't persist with IB. Also about the BIOS saying OC failed when your OC is fine, it happens after two restarts in a row, either by button or software, if you power up or power down and don't use restart in between two restarts then the board wont do that. If it cycles, let it cycle it will recover itself, in the case of a cycle more than 2 times, let it keep going, it will boot into windows with your OC after a few more cycles, this only happens with SB, as does the restart thing, so i think they should fix it soon. perhaps it is fixed in the next BIOS updated, i tested with F6D this weekend.
    I found what was giving me BSODS ... It was vertex 3 120GB (firm 2.15) on port 0 Intel AHCI i kept getting BCCode F4...For now have SSD on Marvel running sweet. All this time i thought my overclock or mobo was failing.

Flippin heck ive been at it solid 3 days nuff sleep lost. Im givvin it a rest now ive lowered to 4.6GHz less volts . Was gona return this board but i think i'll patiently wait for a solid bios now.

One thing Sin pls pass on to Gigabyte could do with naming the Profiles in bios.

cheers of to bed now 4.35am
    Corsair AX-750W PSU
    Gigabyte GTX 680 OC WF3X
    Samsung F4 2TB
    Seagate ST3000DM001 3TB
    Pioneer 216BK DVDRW
    Liteon iHas 324 DVDRW

I am Xtreme
    the naming thing we have been pushing for a long time, lol one day it will come i hope.

OCZ lol.

Yea I mean get a new CPU and you don't have to wait for anything lol.

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by ralle_h View Post
    tHey,

I've been testing the board for ~4 months now, so I think 100 boots is a reasonable number (even though it was just a guess as I didn't count the exact numbers ofc... but having boot loops in 2-3% case of all boots is pretty much the real number).

Regards,
    4 months?!?!?
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia

Quote Originally Posted by dinos22 View Post
    4 months?!?!?
    Revision 0.1a he,he.
    Need a Gigabyte latest BIOS?
    Z370 AORUS Gaming 7,
    GA-Z97X-SOC Force ,Core i7-4790K @ 4.9 GHz
    GA-Z87X-UD3H ,Core i7-4770K @ 4.65 GHz
    G.Skill F3-2933C12D-8GTXDG @ 3100 (12-15-14-35-CR1) @1.66V
    2xSSD Corsair Force GS 128 (RAID 0), WD Caviar Black SATA3 1TB HDD,
    Evga GTS 450 SC, Gigabyte Superb 720W
    XSPC RayStorm D5 EX240 (Liquid Ultra)
    NZXT Phantom 630 Ultra Tower
    Win 7 SP1 x64;Win 10 x64

Weeks ofc, sorry Got it in the beginning of the 3rd week in march, first BIOS I tested was F5g (latest at that time).

Xtreme Member

Holy Smokes 5GHz

Just flashed to F6d thought id give it a whirl. 5GGGHHHz thats my record now.
    Prev had loads of probs but it was due to vertex 3 not the mobo, few hrs ago SSD died (R.I.P) bios no longer detects nor does windows.

50 x 100 1.45v I wanna graphics card now
    Corsair AX-750W PSU
    Gigabyte GTX 680 OC WF3X
    Samsung F4 2TB
    Seagate ST3000DM001 3TB
    Pioneer 216BK DVDRW
    Liteon iHas 324 DVDRW

Xtreme Guru
    wasnt the ud5h in the clarsdale days a great Board? I think I had one or 2. Anyone know if they have cold bug? We used to mod the pins on the underside of the cpus with this board. I want to make a thread listing all the ivy boards that are best for -100 and colder with minimal mods.

I am Xtreme
    depends on the CPU, if the CPu has no CB or CBB then the board has none either. There is no CB/CBB that applies to all CPUs used on the board, it depends on the CPu used. You can change the CB/CBB if one occurs by simply using BLCK to OC, like i found that as little as 102mhz-103mhz took a very bad CPU with a CBB of -70 and CB of -125C to a CBB and CB of -150C so increase your BLCK with 3rd gen if you have CB/CBB . Some CPu no CB or CBB the board then wont exert one.
    Last edited by sin0822; 04-16-2012 at 06:04 PM.

Xtreme Guru
    depends on the CPU, if the CPu has no CB or CBB then the board has none either. There is no CB/CBB that applies to all CPUs used on the board, it depends on the CPu used. You can change the CB/CBB if one occurs by simply using BLCK to OC, like i found that as little as 102mhz-103mhz took a very bad CPU with a CBB of -70 and CB of -125C to a CBB and CB of -150C so increase your BLCK with 3rd gen if you have CB/CBB . Some CPu no CB or CBB the board then wont exert one.
    good info. remember this?
    http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/8902/pinmod.jpg

I want those days again!!!

Xtreme Member

All issues cold boots etc resolved

You have to flash F6d using Q-Flash (FAT32 usb stick) (other methods may work but im stickin with this one)
    after flashin complete when it states shutdown or reboot choose reboot.. A shutdown occurs..then when it starts get quick into bios.
    You must "Load Optimised Defaults" then Save and Exit..It will shutdown once again

Get back into bios choose your settings boot drives etc... reboot and voila

All the issues we peeps are gona hav are most likely due to Checksum not in place (Bios not installed correctly)
    Now the board behaves as it should and she's a MISSILE i can boot @ 5GHz i couldnt do this on prev mobo

I dont get any bios messages now at all everything is working perfect. (Happens less a lot less now)

EDIT : OH NO STILL GOT BOOT LOOP...But not as bad as before board does eventually boot just like Sin said. Retains oc settings. We need a proper Bios
    Last edited by irfs; 04-17-2012 at 03:23 AM.
    Corsair AX-750W PSU
    Gigabyte GTX 680 OC WF3X
    Samsung F4 2TB
    Seagate ST3000DM001 3TB
    Pioneer 216BK DVDRW
    Liteon iHas 324 DVDRW

Xtreme Legend
    trans am no need to do mods on GIGABYTE boards and as sin says, CB or CBB is CPU itself. Most CPUs ive tested have no CB at all
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia

I am Xtreme
    are they retail Dinos?

Xtreme Legend
    new stepping which i assume is retail
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia

I am Xtreme
    did you count how many had cb and how many didnt? "most" sounds too general. excuse my curiousity

Xtreme Legend
    i didnt have a lot of chips to test (~5) but ALL the new ones had NO CB! Is that clearer
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast