Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hdmi interference from power cable or coax

Hdmi interference from power cable or coax

If got this kindy interference http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9mmZ82jDlo

But today altough it still might be coincidence lines vanished for long time untill i put the hdmi cable verry close again to power cable.

My hdmi cable is a hama shielded cable with felrite cores but seems it aint good enough shielded for 230v power cords for example.

Anyway i am trying to track down source now to find hopefully a solution.

Because samsung already claimed the TV is't broken they refuse to fix it so this is my last hope off fixing this issue

Btw i am desperate to find cause off this.

Also in game mode pixel line vanishes which might be due hdmi cable getting a strong signal which would overide the static interference comming through the cable.
    Last edited by zer0kewl; 04-09-2012 at 09:42 AM.

For some reasons problem stay away long time at times but then comes back dont known what to do anymore rma aint an option they refuse to fix this even tough its under warranty argue'ng withem is pointless

c[_]
    ferrite core is only on the ends of the cable, not the entire length. The lines could be due to scaling and the power cord.

Try wrapping one cord or the other in tin foil.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

gonna try tomorow.

Also ordered a signal damper for my coax cable since i think it has multiply causes now asswell.

My tv signal strength is like 80 at times for HD channels think its like way to strong however if never had issues with TV signal before no interuption or anything except in the past.
    but that can be caused due to strong signal heck why i ordered one.

Anyway how good does tin foil shield ? should i wrap arround a lot ?

Anyway if the TV channel is on SD channel line is gone asswell or if i remove coax cable.
    However if always considered it to be a TV issue not signal issue however cant obviously confirm that untill if tryit.
    And dunno if it technicaly could be caused by to strong TV signal either.
    Last edited by zer0kewl; 04-07-2012 at 02:13 PM.

Think thinfoil arround my coax cable fixed it permantly i think least got less again.

it stayed away for like 10 20 minuts then came back sudenly real bad.

think second source is from my receiver.

because if i turned it off it vanished again.

now sometimes if it vanishes i switch source to ps3 and its gone again then back to pc source and its also gone again as if it staticly discharged the momment i switched think tv board is staticly being loaded perhaps asswell due to strong signal.
    just hope its all over when i reduced signal strength.
    Last edited by zer0kewl; 04-08-2012 at 02:39 AM.

all outta gum
    I've had the same kind of stuff when the cable got broken near the plug. It works fine when I straighten it, but artifacts when it makes a tight turn.
    www.teampclab.pl
    MOA 2009 Poland #2, AMD Black Ops 2010, MOA 2011 Poland #1, MOA 2011 EMEA #12

Test bench: empty

Well i found out that tin foil does't do much unless i ground it.

so i removed it however i think its just to much signal strength comming from cable.

but somehow my ps3 has no issues and when i switch source back forward to my ps3 it vanishes so i think its a to strong signal.

if put the coax cable also in my power box then out off it to my TV maybe that helps it discharge easy'r for like 10 20 minuts.

i also starting to think this aint all comming from cable since if i move it to other ports i got same issue 1 port which is like 10cm away from coax cable routing it far away from any cables and i still see an issue so i think static is building up and vanishing when i change hdmi channel on my receiver.
    Last edited by zer0kewl; 04-08-2012 at 04:43 AM.

This kindy scared me i heared sparks i think 2 times from my TV.

i think power suply is damaged.

then i googled hdmi sparks and came across this.

http://www.ps3news.com/playstation-3...-blaze/page-2/

anyway ordered following.

Quantity Description Price Total
    2 Ferrite suppression, black, 12 mm € 3.50 € 7.00
    10 Ferrite suppression, black, 7.5 mm, round shape € 1.95 € 19.50
    1 75 Ohm Attenuator, 6 dB € 3.75 € 3.75
    1 75 Ohm Attenuator, 3 dB € 2.95 € 2.95
    1 Attenuator 75 Ohm, 12 dB € 3.75 € 3.75
    2 Ferrite suppression, black, 10 mm € 2.99 € 5.98
    2 Ferrite suppression, black, 7.5 mm € 2.30 € 4.60
    Postage and packaging costs € 2.95
    Total: (Includes VAT and shipping) € 46.73

to bad its got to wait till wedsday.

wonder what more i can try still to try fix this problem.
    Last edited by zer0kewl; 04-08-2012 at 06:44 AM.

c[_]
    If you have a battery backup or power conditioner in the house try putting the TV on that as it may clean up the dirty power. The Analogue (coax) devices should be run through it to test as well.

It is possible the coax is feeding power surges into the tv as well, or that the analogue part of the tv is not sufficiently separated internally from the digital converter in the tv and allowing signal distortion to pass through.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

It may be worth cleaning up all your cables around the devices. Loop extra lengths into coils, and keep each 'loop' separate.
    Our digital TV channels used to have issues until i rolled up my 10 meter hdmi cable. Also tangled cables can be a fire hazard.

Dont got that many cables really just bunch utp cables router + switch like 2 thick monster speaker cables for my fronts and 1 for my center.

and 2 thin normal speaker wire for my rears 1 being 10 meters will heart some speaker noise sometimes when speaker is idle but thats because its to long and because if not had time yet to buy better speaker cable yet as dont bug me that much.

however if i turn off everything just leave for example ps3 on and the TV with coax signal if got issues.

TV signal strength is often like 70 80 on digital.
    rarely 50 on few channels.

If heared even 30 is strong enough altough i can be wrong.

their no bit errors tough and analog quality cant be better altough dont really care about analog quality.

Anyway my home cinema set.

27zardw.jpg

On my left has most cables

my subs are btw on 24/7 dont even buzz or anything using a thin rca cable which go's through like ton off cables so dont think their any issues at my receiver.

Just a signal strength issue i think its shame i cant confirm yet.

however if tested everything now i think besides reducing tv signal strength.

Ofc if i remove coax cable problem is also gone i dunno if people readed over that before.

power box i use btw already removes peaks.

my old TV used to have a spark on the screen when the fridge turned off and on however i stopped using this fridge for this reason since if got this new TV.

Think tv channels are causing masive 3D cross talk asswell i think not 100% sure but i had it on a empty channel that had nothing in it 3D was so clean just little cross talk.
    Before i had lot cross talk or just a little and i did't known what caused it.

Xtreme Cruncher
    How long have you had this TV? Samsung televisions and monitors are famous for having trash capacitors that fail within 2-3 years, sometimes in less then a year.
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Lead Head View Post
    How long have you had this TV? Samsung televisions and monitors are famous for having trash capacitors that fail within 2-3 years, sometimes in less then a year.
    Purchased may 25 2011

and just incase i wont fix this issue and its caused by TV it self.

This i keep being told like 10 times now.

Dear Mr ..........,

Following our conversation, stating that you disagree with the conclusion of the repair center on the problem you experience, we can say the following.

We can imagine that you would like a solution for the failure that you experience.

Enquiries to the Samsung authorized repair center Selectro has shown that your device has been thoroughly researched and tested. There is hereby found no deviation from the specifications.

We can thus not serve because there is technically nothing wrong was found on the device. There is therefore no basis for any exchange or credit of the unit.

If you still want another solution, we refer to any solution to the dealer where you bought the appliance.

We trust to have informed you sufficiently.

Sincerely,

Otavio das Dores

Customer Service Representative

Samsung Electronics Benelux BV
    Olof Palmestraat 10, 2616 AE Delft, The Netherlands
    P.O. Box 681, 2600 AR Delft, The Netherlands
    0900-SAMSUNG [NL] 02 201 2418 [U.S.] 02 610 3710 [LU]
    www.samsung.nl / www.samsung.be

Take a look at our handy How-to videos on the Youtube channel of The Samsung Benelux
    to find out about the capabilities of your Samsung product.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSamsungBenelux

Xtreme Addict
    You can get batches of ferrites on ebay.
    Small batches...
    Like 5x.

Look for the tdk branded ones.
    They'll tell you what diameter that they are and stuff, 5mm is one of the smallest types.
    I'de try the 5mm on the smaller cords, might be a bit to small though.
    7mm for the norm might be the way to go, and 11mm+ for the thicker power cables I 'think'...

I've tried the tin foil thing on one of my psu's and it didn't do a darned thing.
    Mesh shielding I have never found for a reasonable price .

The ferrites, like I said are on ebay, for much much cheaper then what was stated in the above posts .
    If you have to, start putting them in your main's box, it's a place to start if you actually have enough ferrite snap on beads to go around.
    Just be darned careful not to touch the bare mains or something.... ^^.
    It's just an idea though anyways.

I would 1st start by using shielded power cables (iec atx psu cables for example).
    Then by adding ferrites to diff things., adding a ferrite to a already shielded cable won't do much if anything btw .

Xtreme Addict
    I would say you have a fault in your house wiring, or a short in an appliance. I had a problem where devices were doing weird things, and some things would die. I was also getting shocked at times.

My problem turned out to be a short in the fan motor in my outdoor AC condenser unit. It was shorted to ground from the coil, causing all the grounding in my house to be Live/hot.

Might not be a bad idea to have an electrician come out and check it out.
    Sandy Bridge 2500k @ 4.5ghz 1.28v | MSI p67a-gd65 B3 Mobo | Samsung ddr3 8gb |
    Swiftech apogee drive II | Coolgate 120| GTX660ti w/heat killer gpu x| Seasonic x650 PSU

QX9650 @ 4ghz | P5K-E/WIFI-AP Mobo | Hyperx ddr2 1066 4gb | EVGA GTX560ti 448 core FTW @ 900mhz | OCZ 700w Modular PSU |
    DD MC-TDX CPU block | DD Maze5 GPU block | Black Ice Xtreme II 240 Rad | Laing D5 Pump

its defiantly not in the house if so the only causes can be 1 off my devices or hardware.
    or TV signal at previous house signal was way stronger TV would drop out quite fast.
    like 80 signal strength now if got like 76 77 however barely got drop outs anymore.

anyway i would't care if it dropped out more reducing signal if it fixes my problem i will least known my TV is fine or not.

because if i did anything to try fix issue then gives me any right to sue samsung / store i purchased my TV

Found out when the interference is't their for like 10 20 mins i turn on PIP and i see the same interference in the PIP screen so i guess this makes it 50% likely to be comming from to strong tv signal

tomorow i get my atenuator probably so i can test.

I got my feriet cores and ateunators i even put them all in having -21 DB still having good reception.
    but it did't fix my issues.
    i guess its out my hands now store will pick up my TV friday they say'd.

altough last time they say'd something similar but no one called.

it looked like problem fixed for little while but then 5 mins later it started again.
    Last edited by zer0kewl; 04-11-2012 at 02:14 AM.

Xtremeish
    G.Foyle has a great point, double check all the power cords going to all you appliances as well as the wall socket and the squid. (Bend them around and listen for sparks. Also have a look at your screen while doing so.)

The coax cable, put your finger between ground and the copper core and see if you can feel it. It is not unusual to have an isolation transformer between your TV and the coax cable as well.

Good looking setup btw! Looks like you have dealt with the acoustics in the room as well!
    Aber ja, naturlich Hans nass ist, er steht unter einem Wasserfall - James May
    Hardware: Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H, Intel i5 4670k @ 4GHz, Crucial DDR3 BallistiX, Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II, Corsair HX 650W, Samsung 830 256GB, Silverstone Precision -|- Cooling: Noctua NH-C12P SE14

i un powered everything and had just ps3 and TV on still had issues.

If snapped ferite on power cord 2 times 2 times on each hdmi cable that has non.

i put -21 DB signal attenuator on my coax signal having all 3 i still get good TV reception but i still see it interfear with hdmi.

Friday they will come pickup my TV hope they dont try act dumb like samsung did.

Because they can easy ignore it and test without a coax signal and without a HD tv channel in background and act dumb saying TV is working fine.

Meh i smelt something burning like a plastic or something i think in 1-2-3 hours they come pickup my TV.
    They picked up my TV misleaded me that if got 1 year warranty only even so got 2 month's left.

However rules in holland state if their 2 year warranty on a product then store has to give 2 year warranty asswell.
    and samsung gives 2 year warranty.

Anyway this just hints either how stupid they are or that they been trying to dump me.
    Last edited by zer0kewl; 04-13-2012 at 03:16 AM.

I wonder if its posible that the power suply off the TV it self is causing this anyone got any opinion ?
    Whats making me doubt it is because its only their if TV channel is on HD channel.

On the other hand power cord is inserted on the right off back off the TV and power suply is located on the bottom right on the back off the TV on these area's i see these lines apear.
    So maybe power suply is having issues.

This might also be why un pluging every device from power did't do anything.

Anyway its at store atm if not heared news yet from them so can only hope they can confirm it soon.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Like I mentioned earlier, Samsung televisions are famous for having capacitor issues, especially in the power supply.
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Lead Head View Post
    Like I mentioned earlier, Samsung televisions are famous for having capacitor issues, especially in the power supply.
    guess that can be only cause then if board already replaced did't do anything.
    some one at selectro gonna get fired hopefully.

My samsung t260 had diferent issue altough also bad power suply it would flicker on and off the whole screen.

if they contacted me i'm gonna ask them regardless if they found problem if they looked for bulging caps because they are usualy faulty.
    Last edited by zer0kewl; 04-16-2012 at 02:20 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast