Thread: Need advice on cloning a drive

I am Xtreme

Need advice on cloning a drive

My neighbor has a HP touchsmart 300 desk pc with windows 7. He's getting a message :"Hard drive failure imminent".

It's a sata drive but the form factor of the pc has only one hd drive bay and the OS and files are all on the failing HD. It's still operational as of now.

What is the easiest way + best software /cables /method needed to clone this drive.

Below is a link to a HD I'm considering for replacment and a scan of the failing HD(I had it out)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822145532
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	04-03-2012 12;37;54PM (3).JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	125022  
    The Laws of Thermodynamics say:

Zeroth Law: "You must play the game."
    First Law: "You can't win."
    Second Law: "You can't break even."
    Third Law: "You can't quit the game."

Do you wanna Play Thermodynamics ???????? I forgot "you must"

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Even though he only has 1 HDD bay, does he have more than one SATA port? If so then you can just hook up the new HDD with the cables temporarily out for the data xfer. If you use Ultimate Boot CD (installable onto USB), you should be able to get into gparted and clone the partition.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by WangChung View Post
    Even though he only has 1 HDD bay, does he have more than one SATA port? If so then you can just hook up the new HDD with the cables temporarily out for the data xfer. If you use Ultimate Boot CD (installable onto USB), you should be able to get into gparted and clone the partition.

I didn't think to look for a second sata port on the MB. I asumed the form factor was designed to be compact so no need for a extra sata port. I'll take a look tomorrow. But I didn't see any master/slave in the bios.

Thanks for the idea!!!

Would I be able to buy the new internal hard drive ,then buy a external hard drive case with a usb connection then clone the existing HD to the new HD in the external case. Once complete just remove the drive from the external case and install it internally?????

Sounds to easy!
    Last edited by wdrzal; 04-03-2012 at 11:12 PM.
    The Laws of Thermodynamics say:

Zeroth Law: "You must play the game."
    First Law: "You can't win."
    Second Law: "You can't break even."
    Third Law: "You can't quit the game."

Do you wanna Play Thermodynamics ???????? I forgot "you must"