Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Project Bright Panel: Corsair 800D, Liquid Cooled, Illuminated Mid Panel

Xtreme Member
    New Hardware Sponsor – Corsair

I am very pleased (and grateful) to announce that Corsair has decided to help me out this with build by supplying me with an AX1200 PSU, Sleeved Black Cables, and a Corsair Link Temp Control & Lighting Kit. I was surprised when I got the news of a sponsorship from Corsair, but will gladly use their great products in this build. Thanks Corsair!

Project Turambar: Corsair Obsidian 800D Liquid Cooled Dual Loop System

Corsair 800D ~ EVGA X58 Classified W/C EK-FB EVGA X58 Full Board Block ~ Intel i7 Core 970 @ 4.2Ghz W/C Swiftech APOGEE-XT Extreme
    12GB Corsair Dominator @ 1600MHz ~ Corsiar HX1000 ~ EVGA GTX 580 Hydro Copper (x2) SLI ~ EVGA 9800GT (PhysX)
    SSD(OS) Intel X-25m 160GB ~ HDD(User Files) Segate 500GB ~ HDD(Game Installs) Samsung Spinpoint F4 1TB ~ HDD(Storage) Seagate 2TB
    Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty ~ Windows 7 Ultimate x64 ~ Dell Ultrasharp [ 20"][ 24"][ 20" ]

Xtreme Member
    New Components

Here are some beauty shots of the AX1200 that just arrived. I was previously rocking a 1000w Silverstone PSU, but was getting close to the top end of its range (hitting 970-980w) when benchmarking with everything OC’d. The extra 200w will come in very handy, especially if I ever go Tri-SLI. The pouch the PSU came in was a soft suede material. The overall packaging was of high quality, and of course the PSU itself looks great in the 800D.

Here is the full Corsair Link Kit that includes the Temp Monitor / Fan Control, and the LED lighting component. I’m not sure if I will be able to use the LED strip this go around, as I have already installed one in this build. But I like the fact that is so customizable using the Corsair Software, and since its an RGB LED strip, the colors can change based on usage (gaming mode), or vary based on system temps. I am going to run the Link and the Aquero 5 to see which one better suites my needs with this specific build.

Larger Image

On the right is a Set of Black Sleeved cables for the AX1200 from Corsair. I had already decided to sleeve my own cables this go around, but will be using the “guts” from these for my custom cut lengths.

Corsair 800D ~ EVGA X58 Classified W/C EK-FB EVGA X58 Full Board Block ~ Intel i7 Core 970 @ 4.2Ghz W/C Swiftech APOGEE-XT Extreme
    12GB Corsair Dominator @ 1600MHz ~ Corsiar HX1000 ~ EVGA GTX 580 Hydro Copper (x2) SLI ~ EVGA 9800GT (PhysX)
    SSD(OS) Intel X-25m 160GB ~ HDD(User Files) Segate 500GB ~ HDD(Game Installs) Samsung Spinpoint F4 1TB ~ HDD(Storage) Seagate 2TB
    Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty ~ Windows 7 Ultimate x64 ~ Dell Ultrasharp [ 20"][ 24"][ 20" ]

Xtreme Member
    nice work. keep on
    PC:
    MOBO: Maximus VI Extreme
    CPU: Core i7-4770k
    RAM: 2x4gb Dominator Platinum 2133
    GPU: GeForce GTX Titan

Greetings from Brazil!

Xtreme Member
    Corsair Sleeved Cables Mini-Review, and More Sleeving…

I have to admit, these sleeved cable packages made by Corsair for their PSUs are a great value proposition. If someone just wants one specific color of sleeved cables, these are a great deal, especially when you factor in the cost of sleeving materials, and the time involved to sleeve and entire set of cables yourself. The connectors are also of high quality (although different layout than standard PSU connectors, more on that later), and the sleeving material is a tad thinner than the MDPC variants, possibly making things a bit easier when trying to manage your cable clutter. Overall for may individuals, these cable kits are a great buy.

But… not everyone will want these types of kits. I can see three main reasons why these would not be for everyone.

1. Perfectionists will notice that the heat shrink tubing is not even lengths across the connectors. For those going for looks / beauty, that could be a turn off.
    2. Custom Cable Lengths can make cable management a lot easier. I for one have decided to go that route for this build, but in all fairness I did still use these cables, simply cutting them to my preferred length, re-crimping one side of the cables, and resleeving with MDPC sleeve.
    3. Custom Color selections. Right now these kits seem only to be available in solid colors. Many sleevers like to use multiple colors in their strands. I am using 2 colors in this build (black & blue), hence the need for me to resleeve these cables once I had cut them down as stated above.

So for some, these sleeved kits by Corsair are great time savers and can fit a specific need (single color) very well. For others of a more DYI nature (or OCD / Perfectionists), they will be better off making their own sleeved cables. To the left below is a close-up of a few of the connections from the kit.

Larger Image

Above right is a picture comparing the connector for an 8-pin CPU Power connection. This is the side that plugs directly into the PSU. This was not a problem, but something I just found to be interesting. The AX1200 has a different connector layout compared to a standard 8-pin CPU connection, as can be seen in the above diagram comparing the two. I had already completed an 8-pin sleeved set before the PSU arrived, only to find out it wouldn’t plug in. Luckily with the MDPC Pin remover, I was able to switch out to the one that comes with the AX1200 in just a few minutes. All is well.

Larger Image

And here is my completed 24pin Cable/Connector. The AX1200 has the 24pin cable split into two connectors where it plugs into the PSU. The pic on the left is one of those two connectors. Not perfect compared to sets from the “Pros” that I have seen, but it is getting easier each time, and my results are improving bit by bit. Even with it getting easier (and faster)… I have found that sleeving still takes a LONG time if done correctly.
    Last edited by Mr_Armageddon; 04-30-2012 at 08:47 PM.

Xtreme Guru
    This is a sweet looking build. I love the color choice. Your workspace is ridiculous. I wish I could be that organized.
    STARSCREAM
    3570k @ 4.6 GHz | Asus P8Z77-V LK | G.Skill F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM | ASUS GeForce GTX550 Ti
    Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB | Corsair Force GT 120GB | SK hynix 128GB | Samsung 830 64GB
    WD Black 640GB (3) | Seagate 7200rpm 1TB | Dell Perc H310 xflashed to LSI 9211-8i
    Corsair AX750 | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 | Antec P280 | Dell Ultrasharp U2410 | BenQ XL2420T
    ROCCAT Savu | Filco Majestouch-2 TKL w/Cherry MX Reds
    MEGATRON
    3770k @ 4.5GHz | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM
    SK hynix 128GB | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 60GB | WD Red 3TB (4) | Seagate 7200rpm 3TB (2)
    WD Green 2TB (3) | Seagate 7200rpm 1TB | Dell Perc H310 xflashed to LSI 9211-8i (2)
    Corsair AX650 | Corsair H80i

Xtreme Member
    Love your work space, I imagine you're a bit OCD like myself heh.

It's funny to hear people say how bad their fingers hurt after sleeving, it's something I will never forget when I sleeved my corsair 1000. My thumbs and tips of my fingers ached for days, I ended up taking some pain killers left over from surgery because they hurt so bad lol.

Edit: Forgot my avatar is my first 24pin sleeved heh.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itznfb View Post
    This is a sweet looking build. I love the color choice. Your workspace is ridiculous. I wish I could be that organized.
    Thanks. I find that it takes longer to get stuff done since I seem to misplace stuff a lot if I don't keep organized. Plus now that I know where everything is supposed to go, I can quickly assess when something is missing, ustually from my Wife "borrowing" a tool and not putting it back.

Quote Originally Posted by Liderc View Post
    Love your work space, I imagine you're a bit OCD like myself heh.

It's funny to hear people say how bad their fingers hurt after sleeving, it's something I will never forget when I sleeved my corsair 1000. My thumbs and tips of my fingers ached for days, I ended up taking some pain killers left over from surgery because they hurt so bad lol.

Edit: Forgot my avatar is my first 24pin sleeved heh.
    Good looking 24pin
    My fingers do get pretty sore, but I haven't had to hit up the pain killers yet I have just been spacing the cables out, only doing 1-2 8pin sets a night, and its not so bad now.

Xtreme Member
    Sleeving... COMPLETED!

MNPCTECH finally has their MOD Ruler / Gauge back in stock, and mine came in this week. Pretty sweet little modding tool, but I won't have a chance to use it this time around since I am wrapping up the build. But since I can't seem to go more than 6 months without modding / upgrading something, it will get plenty of future use.

Larger Image

All major sleeving is now complete. All I have left on the build is to connect all my fans an pumps to the AquaComputer / Corsair Link, and finish my tubing runs.

I know for sure that I will be using a two (2) AquaComputer USB PowerAdjusts to control my pumps, since they operate independently from other monitoring component. I will be testing the Aquero 5 and Corsair Link separately to see which will end up in my system long term to control my fans.

I still have to secure some of the cable runs to the back of the case with my cable clamps from MDPC, but here is a basic shot of all the major cables connected. Also in the pic is the SATA Power cable that I connected to the Hot Swap plate. It was very easy to sleeve, but a pain to get the actual wire to go in the connector. Ended up using a hammer to "tap" the two parts of the connector together.

Larger Image

Almost done...

Xtreme Member
    been watching your project, great detailing in everything!

Xtreme Member
    I pretty much have everything set up now to start playing with both the AquaComputer Aquero5 and the Corsair Link. Just finished making my cables for, and sleeving the Poweradjust USB 2 pump controllers. I will be using them independently from the other control/monitoring units. From what I have seen from other users online, both the Aquaero5 and Link have a lot of capabilities. It just going to come down to which fits my needs the best.

Along with the Poweradjust USB 2, here is a shot of the 5mm Blue LEDs I just wired and sleeved, and a preview of how they will look inside the res. No liquid yet.

Larger Image

Once I decide on which control unit to stick with, I can finish the cable management up no the back of the case. Even with using MDPC sleeving on all of my cables, there are still A LOT of cables to deal with. I don't know if it will look as clean & tidy as I originally envisioned it, but already it is a huge improvement over the spaghetti wire mess that used to abide back there.

Xtreme Member
    Sorry for the lack of updates guys. Things have been really busy lately with work, adding new landscaping to my home, along with helping my brother out with his home remodel. Since these things happen after I get home from work, or weekends, it hasn't left much time for me to work on the build.

I also had another project that took me away from my PC. I am taking a Venturing Crew (17-18yr old Boy Scouts) into the Pike National Forest for 5 days, where we will be teaching them wilderness survival. Part of the outing will be devoted to primitive weapon construction, and I promised to have my homemade Longbow completed before we leave. Happy to say it is complete, and shoots very well.

I made it from scratch using Red Oak for the belly and Hickory for the backing.

Maple Red stain for the belly and Ebony for the backing, followed up with two coats of polyurethane to seal and protect the bow.

If anyone wants to see a detailed construction log, head over to my blog for more details and close up pictures.

Mr. Armageddon's Project Logs

Since I will be gone with the Scouts for almost a week, there will not be any updates on the PC build. But as soon as I get back, my priority is to get it finished ASAP.

Xtreme Member
    Amazing bow. Have always been interested in building one from scratch. Well done and enjoy the trip.

Xtreme Member
    Back safe and sound from my outing in the Colorado Mountains. My longbow performed perfectly. Ready to get working on my build again!

Quote Originally Posted by Liderc View Post
    Amazing bow. Have always been interested in building one from scratch. Well done and enjoy the trip.
    Thanks! I really enjoyed buiding it, and the end result (along with its performance) was very rewarding. Now back to Geekier projects.

Xtreme Member
    New Corsiar "Air Series" Fans

Been a while since my last update due to a very busy summer. My most gracious hardware sponsor Corsair, sent me the final components to finish up my build. This week I received a bundle-o-fans. These are their new line of "Air Series" fans, and they look great. There area verity of types, but they gave me the AF Quite Editions for case fans, and the SP series for my radiators. Here is the list of what came in:

Radiator Fans (120mm) - SP120s (High Performance Edition) x7
    Rear Exhaust (120mm) - AF120 (Quiet Edition) x1
    HDD Bay (140mm) - AF140 (Quiet Edition) x1

Larger Image

I really dig the changeable color rings on the fans. It should look good with my black/blue theme. Each fan also comes with an adapter that will step down the voltage and manually slow down the RPMs. Nice that its included, but I will be counting on the Link or AquaComputer for that duty. The blades on the two types of fans are also different. The high pressure fans "SP Series" have blades specifically made to push more air through a radiator. The few reviews I have seen speak highly of them, so I am excited to get them installed.

Larger Image

I was planning on getting all of these fans sleeved and installed this weekend, but "life" had other plans for me. Posting this update from the hospital, waiting to hear news on my 6 month old daughter. Looks like RSV & pneumonia... Again. Hopefully we will be back home soon.

Xtreme Member
    Ok, my daughter is back home from hospital and is doing well. Now I can get back to working on this build.

I am going to run a few tests with my current CoolerMaster fans against these new Corsair ones. It won't be anything too scientific, but will basically measure simple airflow and noise levels at various RPMs. Stay tuned.

Xtreme Member
    New Fans are INSTALLED!

I have to admit, the extra color highlights they bring the the build are right up my alley

Larger Image

I did a bit of testing with the new Corsair SP120s against my previous fans, the CoolerMaster Blue LED Silent Fan 120mm (R4-L2R-20CK-GP). Specs on both are as follows.

Corsair SP120:
    RPM 2,350
    CFM 62
    Noise 35dBA

CoolerMaster R4:
    RPM 2,000
    CFM 90
    Noise 19dBA

I actually shot a video of the test, but apparenlty I was an idiot and shot it upside down with my phone So here is a screen cap of the test. Used a basic fan controller, a Decibel Meter on my phone (not super accurate), and a simple "blow test" with a piece of paper about 6in in front of the fan. Keep in mind, this is a very un-scientific method of testing these fans, and the Corsair SP fans are made to work better with static pressure that comes with being attached to radiators than just blowing power, but since I have no way to measure that, I did what I could.

At 2,000 RPM, the Corsair SP120 had noticeably more "blowing" power than the CM fan, and was measured at around 43dBA. Again, this could be way off, but its what the meter said. The CM fan at this same speed had less power, and was louder at 48dBA... much higher than its specification of 19dBA.

Two other observations.
    1) With the SP120 cranked all the way up to 2,350RPM, it was at the same noise level of the CM fan (when at 2,000RPM), but much more powerful.
    2) When I brought the SP120 down to around 1,500RPM, it was barley audible. This was reassuring being that with a good fan controller, for basic computing (web browsing, movies, etc) the majority of the time the fans will be at a noise threshold that wouldn't bother the average individual.

So all I can really say about these Corsair fans at this point is that they are more powerful, and more quiet than my previous fans, and better looking. So I keep them!

Xtreme Member
    So after my very rudimentary testing of the fans I own, I came across a much better review that used big expensive equipment, and has Charts / Graphs! I am an Excel monkey being in the Finance field, so I sometimes get overexcited about that kind of stuff :p

The video review can be found here:
    Corsair AF & SP Series Computer Case Cooling Fans Showcase & Review

And here are the juicy details. So it look like when comparing static pressure, which is what the SP120s are supposed to be made for, they in fact perform VERY well. The only thing the chart does not show is what RPM these fans are running at, but it still paints a pretty positive picture for using the SP series fans with radiators.

Larger Image

Turns out the Decibel Meter on my phone may not be that far off. At full RPM, I was reading around 48dBA, which is what their results were as well.

Next step is for me to hook up my various "Smart" fan/system controllers to see which will work better with all the different fans and pumps in my build. Stay tuned.

Probably my favourite build I'm following at the minute.

I love your attention to detail.

OCD ??

Xtreme Member
    The highlights on the corsair fans look great. Some clear tubing with Mayhems Pastel blue berry coolant would look mint, matches the color of your fans perfectly. http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgu...9QEwCg&dur=673

Overall your case looks great!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltire View Post
    Probably my favourite build I'm following at the minute.

I love your attention to detail.

OCD ??
    Maybe just a little bit OCD.

Quote Originally Posted by Liam_G View Post
    The highlights on the corsair fans look great. Some clear tubing with Mayhems Pastel blue berry coolant would look mint, matches the color of your fans perfectly. http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgu...9QEwCg&dur=673

Overall your case looks great!
    Wow that looks great! And you are right about the color matching the fans. And its a better color match for the blue highlights in my sleeving.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blue Mayhem Liquid.JPG 
Views:	1252 
Size:	10.6 KB 
ID:	127959

I haven't had any experience with Mayhem liquids, but the last time I used a dye (fesser one), it left nasty gunk inside of the waterblocks. That is why I decided to go with color tubing, and just use distilled water + PT Nuke this go around. But the milky blue color looks really good.

Have you used Mayhem liquids at all? Do they gunk up over time?

Any input on the subject would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Mr_Armageddon; 06-29-2012 at 09:44 PM.

Xtreme Member
    No I haven't used them personally, but I stumbled across them the other day and I plan to use it in my next build.

Apparently Mayhems copped a bit of flack in the past for some of their dye's and coolants gunking up and separating etc. This product is supposed to be their redemption, they say the Pastel version can be used for 2 years in a loop without issues. It has biocides and the like already mixed into it so you don't add anything to it, except dye to customise the color more. The Pastel version is a nanofluid, ie it contains tiny little 40nm particles that give it the opaque quality. I am trying to find out if there have been any bad reports about it, haven't come across any yet.

I'm actually interested in using it in a water chiller in the -5 to +5*c range because it has a freezing point of -8*c.

Anyway, it seemed like a good match for your system so try and find some reviews or user reports and you can see for yourself.
    Last edited by Liam_G; 06-30-2012 at 12:04 AM.

Xtreme Member
    The Durelene tubing is on it's way.
    Still looking for the best place to get the Mayhem Pastel Blue Berry in the 1L size, that doesn't require overseas shipping charges.

Xtreme Member
    Well, the Durelene Tubing from Sidewinder has arrived. Looks to bend pretty well without kinking. I'm going to keep my blue tubing around just in case I decide to switch back at some point.

Still trying to get a hold of the Mayhem Pastel in Blue Berry color. I sent an email to Mayhem over a week ago asking where to get the stuff here in the US (besides PPCs which is currently out of stock), but no response yet.
    Maybe more stores will have it in stock next week? If not, I will just get Ice Dragon, and add dye to my liking til I get the right color blue.

I love the illuminated plexi on the mid panel! Very nice result!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Armageddon View Post
    Well, the Durelene Tubing from Sidewinder has arrived. Looks to bend pretty well without kinking. I'm going to keep my blue tubing around just in case I decide to switch back at some point.

Still trying to get a hold of the Mayhem Pastel in Blue Berry color. I sent an email to Mayhem over a week ago asking where to get the stuff here in the US (besides PPCs which is currently out of stock), but no response yet.
    Maybe more stores will have it in stock next week? If not, I will just get Ice Dragon, and add dye to my liking til I get the right color blue.
    Damn, i was hoping this update was to show the pastel in :P sucks that you can't get hold of it. but yeah maybe just get the ice dragon and add dye, the pastel is a collaboration between ice dragon and mayhem's but who knows what they changed in it, maybe they just added color. you can also just buy the white pastel and add dye if there is a difference between ice dragon and pastel.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast