Thread: best choice in Ivy mobo for a non-OCd rig

Xtreme Member

best choice in Ivy mobo for a non-OCd rig

I'm building a new rig for my pops and need to select a mobo. Because this is for my dad and I want it to be as stable as humanly possible (so I don't get frantic calls at 9 at night asking why his computer won't work and I need to come over) I don't plan on OCing. OK fine maybe a tiny bit but if I do it would be extremely minimal.

Anyways, OC ability really doesn't matter, I just want high quality/stability and good (stock) performance. $250 is about the max with under $200 being even better given I don't really need OC ability.

Thanks for the help =)
    ASRock Extreme6
    OCZ Vertex 3 240
    Corsair AX850 PSU
    Silverstone FT02

dose he use high ohm headphones, and what form factor.

i would look at an asrock from the extreme line in general, but if you need an amp for an m5g.

if i was buying again i would go with a bitfenix itx case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811345017 and the asrock z77e http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157312
    Last edited by zanzabar; 12-09-2012 at 08:27 PM.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for the reply. Have an ASRock in my own comp so wouldn't have a problem buying one for him as well. I had planned ATX (in a midtower case). I'm likely putting a gtx 670 in it, btw, as he does play games. Forgot to mention that.

his headphone setup costs more than the computer I'm building (and his speaker setup more than my car), he just uses the digital out so onboard audio doesn't matter.

Looking at the extreme4 and, say, the p8z77-v pro...is there any reason to spend the extra 70 bucks in the reliability/stability department? I'm guessing no, given max OC isn't something I'm after, but always like other opinions.
    ASRock Extreme6
    OCZ Vertex 3 240
    Corsair AX850 PSU
    Silverstone FT02

Xtreme 3D Team
    ASRock board might have a cheaper VRM...it seems the lower Extreme versions usually do ie. "3" "4"

At stock, pretty much any board will work though...be it ASRock, ASUS, Gigabyte...
    Smile

Quote Originally Posted by BeepBeep2 View Post
    ASRock board might have a cheaper VRM...it seems the lower Extreme versions usually do ie. "3" "4"

At stock, pretty much any board will work though...be it ASRock, ASUS, Gigabyte...
    do they have a 3 for the z77? the 4 is enough to oc and keep the voltage stable, and has enough heat sink to keep everything very cool. asus and GB are overpriced IMO and unless you need the amp that maximus gives you i would stick to the asrock.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400

I am Xtreme

Quote Originally Posted by cadaveca View Post
    that looks like a poor choice, it only has a 4+1 pwm, and small heatsinks with none on the pwm. it could be dangerous if the case dose not get cleaned and it has no overclocking potential. i can see not overclocking initially, but to get a build that cannot use synchronous turbo or overclock latter seams wrong. when you look at the fact that the K edition is only $10-20 more than the non overclocking chips it makes no sense to not get one.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    that looks like a poor choice, it only has a 4+1 pwm, and small heatsinks with none on the pwm. it could be dangerous if the case dose not get cleaned and it has no overclocking potential. i can see not overclocking initially, but to get a build that cannot use synchronous turbo or overclock latter seams wrong. when you look at the fact that the K edition is only $10-20 more than the non overclocking chips it makes no sense to not get one.
    OP, said no OC. Board is fine, BTW, I still have it...and it was me that wrote that review. :p

It's a business-class motherboard, meant for 24-7 stability at stock, and has near the performance of the Sniper M3. One of Gigabyte's hottest-selling motherboards right now globally, I think, and for good reason.

Has no problem running memory @ 2666 MHz ram too, if your CPU is up to the task.

Quote Originally Posted by cadaveca View Post
    OP, said no OC. Board is fine, BTW, I still have it...and it was me that wrote that review. :p

It's a business-class motherboard, meant for 24-7 stability at stock, and has near the performance of the Sniper M3. One of Gigabyte's hottest-selling motherboards right now globally, I think, and for good reason.

Has no problem running memory @ 2666 MHz ram too, if your CPU is up to the task.
    i have had a few of the "business" class q45 boards blow up on me affter a year or 2 when people do not clean them out. since then i do not trust boards with no pwm heat sinks. that GB board is also the same price as the pro3, so i dont see why you would go with a b75 with no heat sinks at that price point http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157297

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    i have had a few of the "business" class q45 boards blow up on me affter a year or 2 when people do not clean them out. since then i do not trust boards with no pwm heat sinks. that GB board is also the same price as the pro3, so i dont see why you would go with a b75 with no heat sinks at that price point http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157297
    Fortunately, boards today are much better than they were a couple of years ago. technology changes in VRM design negates most issues that were problems in the past. However, dust is definitely a real issue; ECS recently debuted boards with built-in dust shields.

This B75 product is definitely NOT for anyone wanting to OC, and the ASRock may appeal a bit more there, but at the same time, cost is $75 for the Giga, vs $90 for the ASRock. ASRock is a larger board, but lacks DVI...that's the one downside on that one, IMHO.

For someone not going to OC(most users have no need to OC IVB chips), there's no point in spending much on the motherboard, really. There are MANY sub-$100 options out there, from any brand.