Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Snapdragon S4 Embarasses compettion

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrowncoatGR View Post
    Like Aberration said Snapdragon is an implementation of the ARMv7 instruction set and therefore an ARM processor in the same way Bulldozer and Sandy Bridge are both x86 processors.
    Why did you quote me? ARM design the A15 cores that will be in the OMAP5 for example, Qualcomm implement the ARM instruction set into their own core design.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by BrowncoatGR View Post
    Like Aberration said Snapdragon is an implementation of the ARMv7 instruction set and therefore an ARM processor in the same way Bulldozer and Sandy Bridge are both x86 processors.
    Right So... The new AMD vs Intel.

Xtreme Mentor
    What is the point with multi core processors on mobile devices anyway? Unless they are reducing power draw then I dont want them.

My Lumia 800 only uses a single core 1.4 Ghz Scorpion qualcomm CPU, does everything I could possible want in a smartphone today, but the battery life is terrible.

I want better battery life first, not an uber high spec to run benchmarks on my mobile phone. The primary purpose for multi core mobile CPUs should be to reduce power draw, not to increase performance.

I am Xtreme
    multiple slower cores can use much less power than a few faster cores. think if you had 4 cores at 1ghz, or 2 cores at 2ghz to do the same work, its possible it needs more than twice the energy to run only twice the speed.
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by mAJORD View Post
    Right So... The new AMD vs Intel.
    Not quite... because there's going to be Qualcomm v NVIDIA (watch for their custom ARM stuff soon) v Apple v ARM Designs v Intel (x86 designs).

Quote Originally Posted by bhavv View Post
    What is the point with multi core processors on mobile devices anyway? Unless they are reducing power draw then I dont want them.

My Lumia 800 only uses a single core 1.4 Ghz Scorpion qualcomm CPU, does everything I could possible want in a smartphone today, but the battery life is terrible.

I want better battery life first, not an uber high spec to run benchmarks on my mobile phone. The primary purpose for multi core mobile CPUs should be to reduce power draw, not to increase performance.
    Not sure what Nokia did wrong there. I have essentially the same CPU... Do you have LTE? Because my Lumia 710 has insane battery life... 24+ hrs on WiFi and 17 hrs on 3G.

Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    i think that you mean ATI people, the team stayed the same until amd sold it, and they were never merged or grouped with an amd team.

tegra3 is using the same cores as tegra2 for the cpu, so it is old. it did add things like the touch sensor chipset on the die to reduce lag and a 5th core that takes care of standby when the phone is in sleep mode, but the core design is old

qualcomm is more like intel, they make the reference core and radio, and they reject radio compatibility if you do not follow their interface design, nvidia is more like via, and samsung/ti are more like amd since they have strong floating point and gpu (they work together and use powervr gpu cores)
    You know what I mean... I now refer ATI/AMD people as AMD people. Its just easier that way.

Demers was just the icing on the cake, and he was an ATI employee absorbed into AMD then let go to Qualcomm.
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    I am magical.

Xtreme Mentor
    There is a battery charge bug on the lumia 800, and I'm waiting for upcoming tethering update before updating the phone.

The maximum charge only goes up to 1200 mah instead of 1450 mah, but its a software problem and fixable through updating the phone.

I think the 710 might have a slower processor, and definitely doesn't have the same screen quality. Everything about the Lumia 800 is perfect to me, apart from the current lack of tethering but it should be coming soon in the next update.

Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    multiple slower cores can use much less power than a few faster cores. think if you had 4 cores at 1ghz, or 2 cores at 2ghz to do the same work, its possible it needs more than twice the energy to run only twice the speed.
    multicore also allows load balancing to stay in a lower pstate (lower clockspeed) and in the case of most dual cores now it lets you run all of the system on one and apps on the other like intel in the old 400mhz days.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bhavv View Post
    I think the 710 might have a slower processor, and definitely doesn't have the same screen quality. Everything about the Lumia 800 is perfect to me, apart from the current lack of tethering but it should be coming soon in the next update.

Both have exactly same SoC, as you can see Here (Lumia 800) and Here (Lumia 710).

Only diference between the two phone's, as you said is the screen, with the lumia 800 having an Display Type AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
    Size 480 x 800 pixels, 3.7 inches (~252 ppi pixel density) and the Lumia 710 having an Display Type TFT capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
    Size 480 x 800 pixels, 3.7 inches (~252 ppi pixel density)

2x Sapphire HD 6870 1gb Crossfire X
    Corsair HX 850
    Corsair H7O
    1xIntel X25-M G2 80 gb (OS)/ 2xSamsung Spinpoint f3 1Tb RAID 0 (Games)/ 2xWestern Digital 2Tb (Storage)/ 1xSamsung Story 1,5Tb (Storage)
    LG W2286L-PF

Monsters Game - The Battle Between Vampires & Warewolf's MMORPG

Xtreme Addict
    amoled draws less energy so thats weird
    Quote Originally Posted by LesGrossman View Post
    So for the last 3 months Nvidia talked about Uniengine and then Uniengine and more Uniengine and finally Uniengine. And then takes the best 5 seconds from all the benchmark run, makes a graph and then proudly shows it everywhere.

Xtremeish
    Quote Originally Posted by eric66 View Post
    amoled draws less energy so thats weird
    This is relative to it's use though. And it must be addressed when talking about this.

OLED in general is more power efficient than LCD on a basis where lots of black is evident, if you turn this around towards ebook reading and browsing where most of the screen may be white, then the tables turn.
    LCD has fairly even power usage, given that the backlight is pretty much constantly on, OLED turns on and off each point completely therefor being more efficient when it's mostly black.
    Last edited by Kallenator; 03-30-2012 at 03:13 AM.
    Aber ja, naturlich Hans nass ist, er steht unter einem Wasserfall - James May
    Hardware: Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H, Intel i5 4670k @ 4GHz, Crucial DDR3 BallistiX, Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II, Corsair HX 650W, Samsung 830 256GB, Silverstone Precision -|- Cooling: Noctua NH-C12P SE14

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12