Thread: 4ft wide display at 5760x1200 for checking email, overkill? No easy way to toggle...

Xtreme Member

4ft wide display at 5760x1200 for checking email, overkill? No easy way to toggle...

Really don't need Pandora or my email displayed 4 feet wide at 5760x1200 all the time, when maximizing every window... Why this isn't a quick toggle is beyond me...

For people gaming with 3 screens and 670GTX-ish cards (and SLI.. this is the issue), is there a "simple" way to switch between spanned and independent / standard display mode? All I want is to be able to toggle to 5760x1200 to game, and straight back to "desktop mode" for the rest of the time.

I'll say.... I HAD this. Before moving to SLI. Pre-SLI and in Windows 8, it was simple:

Win+P, "PC screen only" and set up the proper spanned mode
    Win+P, "Extend" and set up individual monitors

Quick toggle using Win+P after setup, took one-second, literally.

With SLI, that goes out the window... Can't do spanned with all 3 screens on one card. The Nvdia driver puts a red X on the screen hooked to display port, and says to move it to the second card. (Thus beginning the journey of this becoming a pain in the @$$...) Moved the display port to the second card, it then complains it needs a different connection. Switched to DVI. Spanned finally works, all on DVI.

Switching back, after gaming....

Can't do independent displays with all 3 screens on two cards (in SLI, have to disable)... queue the mode change that blacks screens out for 20+ seconds (SLI disabling), and loses the independent orientation that was set from before the spanning for gaming.

Using the Win+P trick glitches, and any screen on the second card after switching is disabled completely / turned off. Monitor position settings are lost, and all must be reconfigured, and re-positioned. Hung at all black screens 2 times, had to power off / reboot / and swap cables to get it all back.

Gave up on the Win+P method and using the Nvidia Control Panel...

For SLI: Chose "Spanned" mode with SLI and set up, going thru all the prompts for orientation, resolution, etc.

For Independent: Going back into Nvidia Control Panel, you have to click "Activate All Displays." Wait for 20 - 30 seconds of black screens (hung once for a few minutes)... You then have to go to "configure displays" since the position is onec again lost, reconfigure, apply, wait for black screens, back to normal desktop.

Very clunky and a lot less cool than just picking which of two modes you want, and moving on.

This link below only helped to explain the plug orientation.... but the bottom line is:
    - for SLI, spanned works with displays on 2 cards
    - switching to independent from spanned works best with displays on one card, (no SLI)
    - to work between these two situations, there need to be lots of clunky mode changes and re-configuring every time because of enabling and disabling SLI.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/tech...m-requirements

Anyone have any luck with this being simple?

c[_]
    Simple? Nah, nVidia cant seem to even be bothered to work on their mutli-monitor compatability beyond running 3 screens gaming.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Member
    It's funny (not really)... they can put time and effort into designing ways to make it possible to use more than one card, and more than one screen... and then completely lose-it on the day to day, real usage of it all, which would be the easier part... you'd think.

I believe Display Fusion may solve your problems. here's a quick vid of a basic overview, you can do some more research to see if its what you're looking for

http://youtu.be/_gpNCmwZd5c