Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 550D vs D3100 vs K-r

Xtreme Member
    It was based on the objects you photograph. A lens with closer focusing and better aperture will let you play more with DOF & bokeh...and at the same time it's a nice portrait lens to.
    Alternative get a 70-300 with "fake macro" to get to play with longer focal length...

My stuff
    PhII x6 1055T @ 4.2GHz | Corsair H50 + Scythe SL12SH PnP | Asus Crosshair IV F | 4GB Dominator 1600 CL8 | Corsair HX520W | CM HAF932 | Dell 2405FPW | Creative 5.1 THX |

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Fair enough, the kinda photos I've taken so far are a fairly good indicator of what I plan to photograph in general really. At some point I think I'd like to get a nice macro lens.

And what do you mean by fake macro?

Xtreme Member
    I was reading over this thread and then saw at Costco they had the Canon T3i full kit for $899. Picked that up along with a battery grip, RapidBlack sling strap and a Canon 50mm f1.8 AF lens. Absolutely LOVE this combo. Went around Portland today using only the 50mm lens and popped off some awesome shots. ^_^

Thinkin of getting some macro spacers and making a PVC steady grip for video shooting.
    - Autobot -
    Intel Q9400 (3.6Ghz) / Asus P5Q Deluxe / 8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800
    MSI R6970 Afterburner 2GB / Asus Xonar DX
    Crucial M4 128GB SSD / Seagate 640GB SATA2 / Lite-On DVD/RW Litescribe SATA
    XFX XXX-Edition modular 650W PSU
    Enzotech / Swiftech / Koolance

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeStorm View Post
    And what do you mean by fake macro?
    Even if the manufacturer of the lens market it as macro, it's not necessary the truth
    * Real macro, 1:1 or 2:1 magnification ratio
    * 1:2 magnification ratio is not a real macro lens
    So be sure to check the specifications for the lens before buy.
    Technically, this ratio is a measure of how large the subject appears on your camera's sensor. A lens with a magnification of 1:1 means the subject appears as life size on the sensor. A macro lens with a 2:1 ratio captures subjects twice as large as they appear in real life. On the other hand for a 1:2 lens, the subject appears on the sensor as half its actual size. Therefore a 1:2 lens is not considered a real macro lens.
    You can look at the Sigma EX 70/2,8 or Tamron SP 90/2,8, would cost about the same...or add a little extra for the Canon 100/2,8

My stuff
    PhII x6 1055T @ 4.2GHz | Corsair H50 + Scythe SL12SH PnP | Asus Crosshair IV F | 4GB Dominator 1600 CL8 | Corsair HX520W | CM HAF932 | Dell 2405FPW | Creative 5.1 THX |

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Ah fair enough, so when I look I need to read the specs rather than just see macro in the description and assume :P

The Canon 60mm seems to be the same kinda price as the sigma and the tamron, would that be a more sensible buy? I'm presuming the quality of the lens would be slightly higher with the canon, but slightly less 'macroness' due to less mm zoom kinda thing? (can you tell I'm a noob? :P)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12