Thread: XL-ATX questions...

Xtreme Member

XL-ATX questions...

Hey guys, I'm getting a sandy bridge-e (the quad core model) with a XL-ATX board (unknown as the wife got it for my bday!!!). I currently have a chilled water system (sits at 65°F) with that sits in the garage, my tubes are about4-5ft long and go through the wall. I'm not sure if I am going to use the chiller (needs some work as it is getting tired and needs some new parts) on this build or if I'm going to just do regular water cooling and if that will be internal or external and if it will be a kit (thinking Corsair H100) or if I start from new. I am really thinking the H100 as a crutch until I can get all new stuff and the chiller back into top shape, but I'm undecided.

The first thing I need is a case, so:

1) I have a Cosmos II on order at Amazon as it is what I really wanted, but I've been reading the forums here and it seems that internal water cooling is harder to do and the case is picky about how will fit. I'm sure it would work fine if I went external, but for its cost I think that it should do both. From what I've been reading, not even the H100 fits in there very good, what do you guys think?

2) Xigmatek Elysium, same as above, still looking at reviews and setups.

2) Two different Rosewill's, the THOR (seems small for water cooling) and the Blackhawk Ultra (which looks pretty good and has good reviews).

3) Two other Cooler Master's, the Storm Series Trooper (I like and think this one is good too, but no triple rad) and HAF X, both seem to have good reviews and should work ok.

4) NZXT Switch, I don't know much about this and still reading reviews, but seems mixed reviews.

I would like a vertical layout like the Silverstone TJ11, but that is our of my price range and is the only one I know of for XL-ATX. Any other suggestions?

Right now I'd say it is between the Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra and Cooler Master Storm Trooper, but I do like the NZXT Switch from what I've read so far.

Next is on to the water cooling parts. I have a Koolance CPU-350 (I think), so I'm sure that would need to go, what is good right now? Also, if I went internal and built my own, what rad's should I be looking at? I know that it depends on the case somewhat, but I think I would need a triple rad or a good double rad. If I go exterior, it will be with a triple or quad rad. Tubing, anything new there or just get some more tygon tubing?

I would like to build a nice system, but I don't have the talent or the time it takes to acquire it, so I like simple and clean (H100), but I like my office not being hot too. If I do go external, I want to do an internal loop and some quick disconnects at the back off the case, would I get the "panel" mount ones? Sorry for asking so much, but I've been away from the water cooling scene and the parts are coming and I need help. Thanks again and I appreciate your help.
    Last edited by Shalamay; 03-23-2012 at 08:01 PM.

For the spacious inside layout, I really like Xigmatek Elysium amongst other. Subjectively, for the reason of "good looking" exterior, NZXT Switch is my favourite.

Copie
    Caselabs M8

/thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Shalamay View Post
    The first thing I need is a case, so:

1) I have a Cosmos II on order at Amazon as it is what I really wanted, but I've been reading the forums here and it seems that internal water cooling is harder to do and the case is picky about how will fit. I'm sure it would work fine if I went external, but for its cost I think that it should do both. From what I've been reading, not even the H100 fits in there very good, what do you guys think?
    I feel the cosmos II is designed to use the WC
    if you use the WC, that is the best choice
    // it can fit H100

Xtreme Enthusiast
    have you looked at Fractal Design's XL case?
    Heat: 50 - 0 - 0 under "Argus333"

Xtreme Member
    Thanks guys for the reply's. I went with the NZXT Switch 810. I liked the Cosmos and still decided to get it, but then realized where it will have to sit and how the sides open will not work for me. The Caselab's are nice, but the cube is too big and I liked the tower, but just decided that I wanted to go external and the cost of going with the nzxt would allow me to get what I need to do that. The Fractal XL I do not believe holds a XL-ATX mb. Thanks again for all the help.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Copie View Post
    Caselabs M8

/thread.
    For xl-atx he'd need the M10 though I think? But if the TJ11 is out of his price range so will CaseLabs unfortunately. If the OP can stretch the budget though it'd be worthwhile. Particulary the STH10 as it's way more versatile (HPTX and multiple 560 support).

>> edit - too late anyway, enjoy the case shalamay
    Last edited by stren; 03-27-2012 at 05:03 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Thanks stren. I did like the Caselabs, but what I saved with going to the NZXT, I can get most of my water cooling going on the new system.