Thread: advice on first HTPC build

Xtreme Enthusiast

advice on first HTPC build

Hi guys im attempting to build my first HTPC and need your advice.
    whats the best platform for me intel or amd ?
    what im looking for :
    - mini itx or micro atx form factor as long as there are minimum of 4 sata ports .
    - this pc is mainly for watching HD and 3d movies .
    - dedicated graphics card just because there will be some gaming involved .

looking forward for your recommendations

Xtremeish
    I actually think this case and the build I did with it would suit your needs fine:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo0397.jpg 
Views:	1112 
Size:	206.4 KB 
ID:	124801

Hardware:
    Intel i3-2100
    AMD 6950 2GB
    ASUS P8H67-I PRO
    8GB RAM
    64GB 2.5" SSD
    1TB 3.5" HDD
    Slim Blu-ray Optical drive
    Silverstone Sugo SG05BB-450

Given that you say minimum 4 SATA ports I guess you are going to fit 2 3.5" HDD's in there? Which I am pretty sure will work in that case, but you probably have to buy another 3.5" HDD mount. There is only one supplied with the case.

Don't know much about AMD mini-ITX motherboards, there seem to be very few.
    Aber ja, naturlich Hans nass ist, er steht unter einem Wasserfall - James May
    Hardware: Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H, Intel i5 4670k @ 4GHz, Crucial DDR3 BallistiX, Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II, Corsair HX 650W, Samsung 830 256GB, Silverstone Precision -|- Cooling: Noctua NH-C12P SE14

Xtreme Enthusiast
    thats a very cool build you got there and thanks for shearing .
    what HS do you have on the cpu? do you consider you HTPC quite ?
    i was thinking of a slightly bigger case that can fit 1xSSD 2x3.5HDD and 1xBlu-ray

Xtremeish
    Thanks and np =)

It's not mine, I only put it together, and there was a budget so I did not consider extra cash for the HS so its using the stock Intel, which is and can get rather noisy.
    There is space for a bigger HS though, so cooling the CPU quietly should not be an issue.
    In my opinion the build was not very quiet while idleing, but it was ok.
    While playing a game or watching a movie though I doubt you will notice it unless it gets really quiet.

You can fit two 3.5" in it, but there does not seem to be a way to mount more than one propperly without a little modding. There is "plenty" space though.
    Like mentioned I fitted a slim drive, SSD and one 3.5" in it as by design.

Something which I forgot and should be checked though is noise on slim optical drives vs 5.25" ones.
    Aber ja, naturlich Hans nass ist, er steht unter einem Wasserfall - James May
    Hardware: Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H, Intel i5 4670k @ 4GHz, Crucial DDR3 BallistiX, Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II, Corsair HX 650W, Samsung 830 256GB, Silverstone Precision -|- Cooling: Noctua NH-C12P SE14

on the cpus, if you are going mid range gpu (like a 66xx-6700) then you could get away with going with an a8 and use the IGP, if you are going to go higher end or upper mid for the gpu then go intel. but with intel remember that the 1155 cannot oc unless you have a k edition.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Enthusiast
    sorry for my late response, i was reading up on htpc and getting up to date with new hardware ...
    to be honest im more confused than before i also changed some of my needs for this build :
    -no more gaming only media and web surfing .
    -silent as possible since its going to be running almost always .
    -low power consumption for the same season above.

do you guys this this is ok ?
    E45M1-I DELUXE: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD...E45M1I_DELUXE/
    Last edited by quattro_; 03-27-2012 at 05:13 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quattro_ View Post

do you guys this this is ok ?
    E45M1-I DELUXE: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD...E45M1I_DELUXE/
    I don't think anything will be more silent than that! The E450 is a nice APU, but I think the A series APU's pack a bit more punch.

I use the one in my sig and the only fan is the stock cooler. I have the APU undervolted at stock speeds and voltages. I cannot hear it running from my chair about 10ft away, and when the movie is on and 5.1 DTS-HD ...well I can't even hear my wife!!

But the one you linked is great. I use an E350 on mini ITX fanless like that in my bedroom, and it does all I need except it gets a bit jittery playing HD content from Netflix. I don't think the 450 has that problem, but you might want tto check
    Main Rig - i5 2500K@42x (Turbo)...2x2gb Corsair DDR3-1600...Asus P8Z68-M Pro...Corsair HX620 PSU...Hanns-G 19" LCD...80GB Intel SSD...2 x 1TB Samsung HDDs...Zalman CNPS9700...Ultra Aluminus (black)...Win 7 Ult x86
    HTPC - AMD A6 3650 stock...2x1gb G Skill DDR3 1600...Asus F1A75-V Pro...Corsair HX520 PSU...2x80gb WD Sata2 RAID0 HDD...Silverstone LC17 B...Olevia 42" LCD 1080P...Yamaha HT Receiver...JVC 5.1 speakers and sub...Win 7 Ult x86