MMM
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 112

Thread: Did NVIDIA Originally Intend to Call GTX 680 as GTX 670 Ti?

  1. #26
    Xtreme Mentor
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,635
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Oj101 View Post
    AMD was caught with their pants down (as good as the 7970 is it isn't enough) and Nvidia is using the opportunity to rape the consumer. I'm not impressed with either company right now
    Exactly, I care about this because I can't get my shiney pair of GTX 570 Tis at the price they were meant to have been at. If anyone thinks that the actual release price on the GTX 680 was its intentional price all along, they have to be delusional. Its only priced that high because it wipes the floor with the 7970, which was already an overpriced card so Nvidia chose to price and name match AMDs high end chip with their mid range GK104.

    I was planning on a dual GK104 upgrade expecting GTX 570 release prices on them, and that was a realistic expectation until AMD price gauged the market with the 7970.

  2. #27
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    1,208
    Nvidia may move to more of a CPU-esque product line up.

    The consumer line up (topped by the 680) - equivilent to Intel with their Sandy Bridge/Ivy bridge products, and the Workstation line-up (the full fat Kepler) which also gets sold (at a hefty price premium) as an 'extreme' part - even if a good chunk of it's features are underutilised in general use - much like Intel selling the Sandy Bridge-E for the desktop even if the architecture is designed with the workstation and server markets in mind.

  3. #28
    Xtreme Guru
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    4,326
    Meanwhile in Nvidia camp discussing $499 MSRP...

    Engineering department:

    That's one expensive midrange/performance card that was targeted to be very profitable even in the 349 ~ $399 price segment

    Marketing department:

    That's one hell of a deal highend card beating HD 7970 in avg by ~10% and at significantly lower power consumption and smaller diesize at a $50 lower price, makes AMD looking very greedy now!

    => EPIC WIN ^^

    Nvidia will probably make a lot of cash on this chip.
    Last edited by RPGWiZaRD; 03-23-2012 at 06:53 AM.
    Intel? Core i5-4670K @ 4.3 GHz | ASRock Extreme6 Z87 | G.Skill Sniper 2x8GB @ DDR4-1866 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 970 OC Windforce 3x | Super Flower Titanium 1000W | ViewSonic VX2268wm 120Hz LCD | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | Logitech MX-518 | Win 7 x64 Professional | Samsung 850 EVO & 840 Pro SSDs

    If all people would share opinions in an objective manner, the world would be a friendlier place

  4. #29
    Xtreme Guru
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,544
    The only thing that this brought up in my head was..."so what?".

    NVIDIA was obviously telling the truth when they said that they expected more from AMD. The truth is right there before us.

  5. #30
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    US, MI
    Posts
    1,680
    Awesome looking card no doubt.
    The only thing that sticks out to me is the mem bus width, 256bit.

    I think it was meant as a mid range card too.
    But it's priced as high end.
    Plus it "looks" like people are buying them out only to resell them with a $200+ profit, I've seen it done before so when it appears that it's happening I suspect.

    Anyways this is a card I would upgrade to.
    The price is way to high though, I'm not gonna waste my money on a toy like this, $200 is already enough to pay for a vga card.
    I may wait it out 1 or 2 more generations .
    1 or 2 years probably.

    I wonder if the 660 will have 768 cores?
    But then again if they cut off the tmu's as well and the mem controllers then what good is that...

  6. #31
    Xtreme Mentor
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,550
    The card still trades blows with GTX590 and for $500. Thats not a bad deal anyway that you look at it. I can't think of the last time that a "midrange card" traded blows with the previous gen dual gpu product.

  7. #32
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Florida Panhandle
    Posts
    352
    I've been waiting to upgrade my pair of 470GTX cards - I guess I can keep waiting.

    It seems the Early Adopters Tax has been compounded on top of AMD+ATI=DAMMIT

  8. #33
    Xtreme Mentor
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ankara Turkey
    Posts
    2,657
    Quote Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
    NVIDIA was obviously telling the truth when they said that they expected more from AMD. The truth is right there before us.
    actually believe my honesty or not doesnt important but i was expecting more from nvidia. only feature they satisfied me is 3+1 monitor part. yes i know it is %10 - %15 faster then 7970 but i really was expecting more.


    When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

  9. #34
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,967
    Quote Originally Posted by kromosto View Post
    actually believe my honesty or not doesnt important but i was expecting more from nvidia. only feature they satisfied me is 3+1 monitor part. yes i know it is %10 - %15 faster then 7970 but i really was expecting more.
    People lauded and proclaimed the 7970 as godly when it had the same margin or a scrap more over the gtx 580... so the gtx 680 launches faster, cheaper ($50 less), quieter, lower power consumption (if it matters to a given person), and better overall with extras like far better 3d support, adaptive vsync, etc., in the same round (2 months availability date difference in video cards is awfully close), but then people now say they expected more? I see a handful of people saying that on OCN too, I just don't understand it *shrug*. I ordered two eVGA GTX 680's as soon as I could... it's a worthy successor to the GTX 580, and I don't particularly care what it was slated for since it delivers what I expect from a 500-dollar video card.

  10. #35
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    138
    I see myself buying a 7970 for $400, cheers up AMD users price are coming down

  11. #36
    Xtreme Mentor
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    France - Bx
    Posts
    2,594
    Quote Originally Posted by kromosto View Post
    actually believe my honesty or not doesnt important but i was expecting more from nvidia. only feature they satisfied me is 3+1 monitor part. yes i know it is %10 - %15 faster then 7970 but i really was expecting more.
    10-15% with a 25% smaller die is a tour de force. Hope for AMD that they have another chip in fab 'cause GK110 will hurt some butts.

  12. #37
    Xtreme Mentor
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ankara Turkey
    Posts
    2,657
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
    People lauded and proclaimed the 7970 as godly when it had the same margin or a scrap more over the gtx 580... so the gtx 680 launches faster, cheaper ($50 less), quieter, lower power consumption (if it matters to a given person), and better overall with extras like far better 3d support, adaptive vsync, etc., in the same round (2 months availability date difference in video cards is awfully close), but then people now say they expected more? I see a handful of people saying that on OCN too, I just don't understand it *shrug*. I ordered two eVGA GTX 680's as soon as I could... it's a worthy successor to the GTX 580, and I don't particularly care what it was slated for since it delivers what I expect from a 500-dollar video card.
    i have nothing to argue with your point of view you are totally right. but i think i am right too. i dont know why others didnt satisfied but let me explain my feelings. i like massive gpus power consumption is not that important to me it can be 1000w but if its performance watt ratio is good it is ok for me. also i am a computer engineer and like programing with cuda and physx. after burning my 8800gts i grap a 5870 because couldnt find a better alternative from nvidia at that time. so i buy a laptop with nvidia gpu to continue programming with cuda. i was willing to get 580 but wanted to wait kepler. now computing power may increase by time with driver updates but it will still be a disappointment for me. also as for the gaming performance i was not satisfied with 7970 too. i never see it like a godly something. yes 680 has a good %10 - %15 performance increase from 7970 and definitely much better card from 7970 but believe me or not i was expecting a %25. and it is very possible with 48 rops if you ask me. also for the price. as like activision increasing game prices by 10 usd with every release of mw game amd and nvidia increasing gpu pricies ridiculously. imo 7970 should start with 450 after 680 it should be 400 and for 680 430 is just enough. this cards never deserves this prices but gpu companies destroyd out price logic.


    When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

  13. #38
    I am Xtreme
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    France
    Posts
    8,829
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
    but then people now say they expected more?
    30% (at best) performance improvement from the previous flagship that was released 16 months ago is hardly amazing.
    Great improvement if you consider it a mid-range card, though.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

  14. #39
    Xtreme Mentor
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,550
    It performs about on par with a GTX590 and has 33% more vram. You expected more than that?

  15. #40
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,437
    I think in large part this is due to the economy and the games that are available right now more than anything else. The price of said card cannot be justified when there is no tangible benefit in the games currently available and for alot of folks $400 means the difference between eating / rent for the month vs not.

    Frankly I think both cards for what you get blow. Things have been totally out of whack ever since the Geforce 3 Ti days when it was "acceptable" to be selling video cards over $200.

    Back in the hay day of gaming a decent gaming PC didnt cost 5 grand. I remember fondly my 900mhz Duron Palimino chugging away for years on all the latest titles before I had to toss it. Now a days its maybe 10 months before I have to drop another 2 grand on a decent PC.

    This is why the console war is lost
    NZXT Tempest | Corsair 1000W
    Creative X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
    Intel i7 2500K Corsair H100
    PNY GTX 470 SLi (700 / 1400 / 1731 / 950mv)
    Asus P8Z68-V Pro
    Kingston HyperX PC3-10700 (4x4096MB)(9-9-9-28 @ 1600mhz @ 1.5v)

    Heatware: 13-0-0

  16. #41
    Xtreme Mentor
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,550
    Quote Originally Posted by Sentential View Post
    I think in large part this is due to the economy and the games that are available right now more than anything else. The price of said card cannot be justified when there is no tangible benefit in the games currently available and for alot of folks $400 means the difference between eating / rent for the month vs not.

    Frankly I think both cards for what you get blow. Things have been totally out of whack ever since the Geforce 3 Ti days when it was "acceptable" to be selling video cards over $200.

    Back in the hay day of gaming a decent gaming PC didnt cost 5 grand. I remember fondly my 900mhz Duron Palimino chugging away for years on all the latest titles before I had to toss it. Now a days its maybe 10 months before I have to drop another 2 grand on a decent PC.

    This is why the console war is lost
    WTF are you talking about a two year old $200 phenom 2 and two year old $150 5770 will play any game out there. Hell an old e8400 and 9800gtx will play almost any game out there with better iq than a console.

  17. #42
    I am Xtreme
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    France
    Posts
    8,829
    Quote Originally Posted by BababooeyHTJ View Post
    It performs about on par with a GTX590 and has 33% more vram. You expected more than that?
    Obviously.
    GTX480 was nearly 45% faster than GTX285 at launch. 7970 is 40% faster than 6970. Kepler is also a major refresh.
    3GB GTX580 has more VRAM. Stock VRAM amounts are kind of irrelevant these days, you can usually get custom card with double the amount shortly.
    Not to mention that memory bandwidth hasn't increased at all...
    If you consider it a high-end part and factor 16 months of waiting in, then yeah, it sure is disappointing. But I don't count it as a high-end card. This is an upgrade path from GF114.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

  18. #43
    Xtreme Mentor
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    France - Bx
    Posts
    2,594
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    30% (at best) performance improvement from the previous flagship that was released 16 months ago is hardly amazing.
    Great improvement if you consider it a mid-range card, though.
    This,

    Coming from a guy who has passed from 5870 to 6970 is really funny

  19. #44
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,967
    Quote Originally Posted by Olivon View Post
    This,

    Coming from a guy who has passed from 5870 to 6970 is really funny
    Yeah... it is. Double standards ftw!

  20. #45
    Xtreme Mentor
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,550
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    Obviously.
    GTX480 was nearly 45% faster than GTX285 at launch. 7970 is 40% faster than 6970. Kepler is also a major refresh.
    3GB GTX580 has more VRAM. Stock VRAM amounts are kind of irrelevant these days, you can usually get custom card with double the amount shortly.
    Not to mention that memory bandwidth hasn't increased at all...
    If you consider it a high-end part and factor 16 months of waiting in, then yeah, it sure is disappointing. But I don't count it as a high-end card. This is an upgrade path from GF114.
    How much more expensive was the launch msrp of GTX480 than GTX285? Same thing with 7970 and 6970?

  21. #46
    I am Xtreme
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    France
    Posts
    8,829
    Quote Originally Posted by Olivon View Post
    This,

    Coming from a guy who has passed from 5870 to 6970 is really funny
    I'll easily justify my purchase for ya.
    1. 5870 is a fine card, which I owned since launch.
    2. I upgraded to a 1600p monitor around 4 months before the release of 6970. I ended up being both VRAM capped (just 1GB) and performance capped (single card). So I had to replace my old card.
    3. GTX 580 and 6970 came out at about the same time. 6970 was slower, but almost 200 EUR cheaper, and had more VRAM. So for just around 100 EUR extra I could get two 6970s with nearly 50-80% the performance of a single GTX580.

    Now that your stalking desires are satisfied, please go and troll elsewhere.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

  22. #47
    I am Xtreme
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    5,485
    wait wat.. who exchanged a 5870 for a 6970?

  23. #48
    Xtreme Mentor
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    France - Bx
    Posts
    2,594
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    I'll easily justify my purchase for ya.
    1. 5870 is a fine card, which I owned since launch.
    2. I upgraded to a 1600p monitor around 4 months before the release of 6970. I ended up being both VRAM capped (just 1GB) and performance capped (single card). So I had to replace my old card.
    3. GTX 580 and 6970 came out at about the same time. 6970 was slower, but almost 200 EUR cheaper, and had more VRAM. So for just around 100 EUR extra I could get two 6970s with nearly 50-80% the performance of a single GTX580.

    Now that your stalking desires are satisfied, please go and troll elsewhere.
    Thanks for your precious comment

  24. #49
    Xtreme Guru
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Ace Deuce, Michigan
    Posts
    3,955
    Honestly I don't get why people are making such a big deal out of this. It seems to be the case that everyone is on the same page that the only reason why it's the gtx 680 and not a midrange part is because of AMD's pricing of the 7970. So... why even bother questioning it? The price will likely drop back to a midrange part next generation (I'm just going to go ahead and assume NV will release it as the gtx 760 ti); we just need to be patient. Those who want the card now can shell out the money otherwise just enjoy the fact that we finally have a truly great architecture on our hands again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

    JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

    terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)


    Regards, Hans

  25. #50
    Xtreme Mentor
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,550
    Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    Honestly I don't get why people are making such a big deal out of this. It seems to be the case that everyone is on the same page that the only reason why it's the gtx 680 and not a midrange part is because of AMD's pricing of the 7970. So... why even bother questioning it? The price will likely drop back to a midrange part next generation (I'm just going to go ahead and assume NV will release it as the gtx 760 ti); we just need to be patient. Those who want the card now can shell out the money otherwise just enjoy the fact that we finally have a truly great architecture on our hands again.
    Yup, thats the way that I'm looking at it. I can get GTX590 like performance now for $500 and hopefully pick up a second one when the next generation hits for cheap.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •