Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Did NVIDIA Originally Intend to Call GTX 680 as GTX 670 Ti?

Xtreme Mentor

Did NVIDIA Originally Intend to Call GTX 680 as GTX 670 Ti?

Although it doesn't matter anymore, there are several bits of evidence supporting the theory that NVIDIA originally intended for its GK104-based performance graphics card to be named "GeForce GTX 670 Ti", before deciding to go with "GeForce GTX 680" towards the end. With the advent of 2012, we've had our industry sources refer to the part as "GTX 670 Ti". The very first picture of the GeForce GTX 680 disclosed to the public, early this month, revealed a slightly old qualification sample, which had one thing different from the card we have with us today: the model name "GTX 670 Ti" was etched onto the cooler shroud, our industry sources disclosed pictures of early samples having 6+8 pin power connectors.

Next up, while NVIDIA did re-christian GTX 670 Ti to GTX 680, it was rather sloppy at it. The first picture below shows the contents of the Boardshots (stylized) folder in NVIDIA's "special place" for the media. It contains all the assets NVIDIA allows the press, retailers, and other partners to use. Assets are distributed in various formats, the TIFF is a standard image-format used by print-media, for its high dot-pitch. Apart from a heavy payload, the TIFF image file allows tags, that can be read by Windows Explorer, these tags help people at the archives. The tags for images in TIFF format, of the GTX 680 distributed to its partners in the media and industry contain the tag "GTX 670 Ti".

It doesn't end there. Keen-eyed users, while browsing through NVIDIA Control Panel, with their GTX 680 installed, found the 3D Vision Surround displays configuration page refer to their GPU as "GTX 670 Ti". This particular image was used by NVIDIA on their 3D Vision Surround guide.

We began this article by saying that frankly, at this point, it doesn't matter. Or does it? Could it be that GK104 rocked the boardroom at NVIDIA Plex to the point where they decided that since it's competitive (in fact, faster) than AMD's Radeon HD 7970, it makes more business sense selling it as "GTX 680"?

What's in the name? Well for one, naming it "GTX 680" instead of "GTX 670 Ti", releases pressure off NVIDIA to introduce a part based on its "big chip" based on the GeForce Kepler architecture (GK1x0). It could also save NVIDIA tons of R&D costs for its GTX 700 series, because it can brand GK1x0 in the GTX 700 series, and invest relatively less, on a dual-GK104 graphics card to ward off the threat of Radeon HD 7990 "New Zealand", and save (read: sandbag) GK1x0 for AMD's next-generation Sea Islands family based on "Enhanced Graphics CoreNext" architecture, slated for later this year, if all goes well. Is it a case of mistaken identity? Overanalysis on our part? Or is there something they don't want you to know™?

http://www.techpowerup.com/162901/Di...X-670-Ti-.html

IMO I strongly believe that the GK104 was actually meant to have been the GTX 660 ...

Nobody believed you? lets see... GF104 - GTX460 GF114 - GTX560TI GK104 - ... .... What could it be? I know! a jar of pickles!
    Last edited by Mungri; 03-22-2012 at 12:32 PM.

the parts ending in 4 are normally the 2nd tier chip and the ones with 0 are the flagship (g80/84, and before that the g70/73 and the nv40/43, so 3 used to be but 4 now and it goes way back), but it dose not matter since they just need to come out with something. NV was also going to make the 6xx OEM only or so the rumor went and its not like they can just rebadge the 6xx and make the 780 with the 100/110 part.

so, dont care just put something out.
    Last edited by zanzabar; 03-22-2012 at 12:28 PM.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    660 maybe because a 670 would normally be considered a harvested/lower binned 680 unit, it would be a departure from the norm for a x70 labeled part to be its own family of gpu.

I think we are still due for a harvested & binned 680 which should be the real 670.
    Work Rig: Asus x58 P6T Deluxe, i7 950 24x166 1.275v, BIX2/GTZ/D5
    3x2048 GSkill pi Black DDR3 1600, Quadro 600
    PCPower & Cooling Silencer 750, CM Stacker 810

Game Rig: Asus x58 P6T, i7 970 24x160 1.2v HT on, TRUE120
    3x4096 GSkill DDR3 1600, PNY 660ti
    PCPower & Cooling Silencer 750, CM Stacker 830

AMD Rig: Biostar TA790GX A2+, x4 940 16x200, stock hsf
    2x2gb Patriot DDR2 800, PowerColor 4850
    Corsair VX450

Xtreme Addict
    So they just lied to us in Nvidia's usual fashion.

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Quote Originally Posted by El Maño View Post
    So they just lied to us in Nvidia's usual fashion.
    Can't tell if you're serious or just trolling. Product numbers in the end are just marketing.

Xtreme Addict
    What they call it doesn't matter in the end. They are offering a better product at a competitive price within the current market. Anyone who realistically thinks this could have sold for $300 in the current climate is utterly insane. If the 7 series completely blew the socks off of everything they have to offer, it may have been a different story.

You price your products relative to your competition, supply and demand and finally what the market will bare. END OF STORY.
    Feedanator 7.0
    CASE:R5|PSU:850G2|CPU:i7 6850K|MB:x99 Ultra|RAM:8x4 2666|GPU:980TI|SSD:BPX256/Evo500|SOUND:2i4/HS8
    LCD:XB271HU|OS:Win10|INPUT:G900/K70 |HS/F:H115i

Xtremely Hot Sauce
    Product name structures are always negotiable. As I read into this, it seems more like the original GTX 670 Ti part was a lower clocked version of this GPU. nVidia's final production showed that enough GPUs clocked at this "sweet spot". If HD 7000 was really disappointing to nVidia (that they expected better), then yes, they might be saving the original top-end part for GTX 685/690. Either way, today's GTX 680 is plenty fast and we can hope that new performance tweaks will continue to come along. Otherwise, later in the generation, AMD's HD7970 may regain the single-GPU crown.

My toys:
    Asus Sabertooth X58 | Core i7-950 (D0) | CM Hyper 212+ | G.Skill Sniper LV 12GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | GeForce GTX 670-2048MB | OCZ Agility 4 512GB, WD Raptor 150GB x 3 (RAID0), WD Black 1TB x 2 (RAID0) | XFX 650W CAH9 | Lian-Li PC-9F | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Gigabyte EX58-UD3R | Core i7-920 (D0) | Stock HSF | G.Skill Sniper LV 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | Radeon HD 2600 Pro 512MB | WD Caviar 80GB IDE, 4TB x 2 (RAID5) | Corsair TX750 | XClio 188AF | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Dell Dimension 8400 | Pentium 4 530 HT (E0) | Stock HSF | 1.5GB DDR2-400 CL3 | GeForce 8800 GT 256MB | WD Caviar 160GB SATA | Stock PSU | (Broken) Stock Case | Win Vista HP x86
    Little Dot DAC_I | Little Dot MK IV | Beyerdynamic DT-880 Premium (600 Ω) | TEAC AG-H300 MkIII | Polk Audio Monitor 5 Series 2's

Xtreme Addict
    Of course they did, this is Nvidia we're talking about. How's it debatable? Just like Kepler being superior to GCN is unquestionable. GK104 pwnzors.

Ps. check my sig
    Bring... bring the amber lamps.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Mentor
    Yea ofc, the way its meant to be renamed

But that just leaves me wondering, what was the original 'GTX 680' meant to be? Cant be GK110, thats not due till 2013, and I think that the current GTX 680 is the best that the GK104 can manage, unless theres somehow more potential on the chip like additional disabled cores, or even a higher memory bandwidth possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Chickenfeed View Post
    Anyone who realistically thinks this could have sold for $300 in the current climate is utterly insane. If the 7 series completely blew the socks off of everything they have to offer, it may have been a different story.

You price your products relative to your competition, supply and demand and finally what the market will bare. END OF STORY.
    No, $300 is far too low, but I believe that $400 / £280 would have been more realistic if either the 7970 performed significantly better, or was lower priced.

Due to the price and performance of the 7970, the GTX 680 costs as much as it currently does and was renamed from the 670 ti. As Nvidia said, they were expecting better from the 7970, and they were planning on having to compete with something significantly faster than that card.
    Last edited by Mungri; 03-22-2012 at 03:36 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    original 680 was a low-yield gk100 or a quasi-low yield castrated gk100. now that it's a gk104, 100 can be redone to 110. boom 780 versus sea islands. Profits out the a$$ on gk104 sales.

sucks for Green goblins on hwbot, but hey they tryin to make money, not set ln2 records.
    Bring... bring the amber lamps.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by bhavv View Post
    Yea ofc, the way its meant to be renamed

But that just leaves me wondering, what was the original 'GTX 680' meant to be? Cant be GK110, thats not due till 2013, and I think that the current GTX 680 is the best that the GK104 can manage, unless theres somehow more potential on the chip like additional disabled cores, or even a higher memory bandwidth possible?
    the naming is generally, agrs, with architecture, revision, range speed. so the gk110 would be a revision ahead of the gk100 (or the rev out soon but maybe not that product range in that rev.) so if there is a gk110 that should mean that there was intended to be a gk100
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400

Xtreme Addict
    They can call it Big bubba black -2GB STD edition and as long as it works I really don't care. You know what I care about? The value of a product and how well it performs.
    i3 2100, MSI H61M-E33. 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws.
    MSI GTX 460 Twin Frozr II. 1TB Caviar Blue.
    Corsair HX 620, CM 690, Win 7 Ultimate 64bit.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Glow9 View Post
    They can call it Big bubba black -2GB STD edition and as long as it works I really don't care. You know what I care about? The value of a product and how well it performs.
    But is the product their best? Or are they holding back something else, their actual best, simply in an effort to force enthusiasts to pay twice?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I care. Because I want my next card to last a long time! If their next card trounces this one, I won't be too happy that I couldn't buy it now.
    Last edited by gumballguy; 03-22-2012 at 09:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by informal View Post
    Today: "MPAA threatens to disconnect Google from the Internet"
    Tomorrow: "Google removes MPAA term from its search engine"
    Day after tomorrow: "No one remembers who or what MPAA is , nor cares anymore"

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by jaredpace View Post
    original 680 was a low-yield gk100 or a quasi-low yield castrated gk100. now that it's a gk104, 100 can be redone to 110. boom 780 versus sea islands. Profits out the a$$ on gk104 sales.

sucks for Green goblins on hwbot, but hey they tryin to make money, not set ln2 records.
    You speak of a company being profitable as if it's a bad thing. God forbid they actually make a return on the millions of dollars invested.

Funny though how you AMD guys have had little to say about the price gouging AMD did with HD7970. And best of all, now they have to figure out how to deal with GTX 680 being faster, more efficient, and cheaper! They wont sell any cards at current prices, and lowering them $100+ would really piss off everyone who paid the premium price. hehe.

"If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government"
    -- Alexander Hamilton

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by lutjens View Post
    But is the product their best? Or are they holding back something else, their actual best, simply in an effort to force enthusiasts to pay twice?
    Nobody is forcing enthusiasts to do anything. Next thing you'll complain about is how nVidia is forcing ATI owners to sell their HD7970's because they just released a faster, cheaper, and more efficient card.

Blaming your own fanboyism or Obsessive-compulsive disorder is a far more logical thing to do.

"If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government"
    -- Alexander Hamilton

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Despite all the blatant nvidia hate here; it trumps the more expensive HD7970 and as far as i can tell that's all they were going for. Truthfully I was hoping for another monster than left everything dead in its wake; but it is good to see someone pushing the price/performance dial back down.

Still if there is any truth to this, what kind of convoluted reasoning do you have to have to hate Nvidia over this as a ATI fan? It would be far far more embarrassing for ATI/AMD to have Nvidia come out with a budget branded card that destroys their monolithic top end card.

Xtreme Member
    Who the fukc cares? If 7970 was a real high end product, at least on par with 590/6990 at stock freq, we wouldn't be having this discussion because nvidia couldn't market the GK104 as a high end part. In the end amd's weaknesses made nvidia greedy and is going to make them boat loads of cash.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleatus View Post
    Just cause you pour syrup over crap dont make it pancakes

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by halfwaythere View Post
    Who the fukc cares? If 7970 was a real high end product
    It is a real high end product. And the high price is reflective of that fact.

, at least on par with 590/6990 at stock freq,
    That is what you call "wishful thinking".

we wouldn't be having this discussion because nvidia couldn't market the GK104 as a high end part.
    And so you're blaming nVidia for AMD's failure?

In the end amd's weaknesses made nvidia greedy and is going to make them boat loads of cash.
    Not quite.

AMD wasn't weak. HD7970 is a great performing card, or did you miss the past two months of every AMD fanboy dedicating their lives to making sure everyone knew it.

How on earth can you seriously call nVidia greedy when it was AMD who overpriced their own product. It was AMD's greed that decided on the price point for HD7970 plain and simple.

Sh*t.... the fanboys and their complete lacking in the use of reasoning runs thick in these forums today.

-- Alexander Hamilton

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew LB View Post
    Nobody is forcing enthusiasts to do anything. Next thing you'll complain about is how nVidia is forcing ATI owners to sell their HD7970's because they just released a faster, cheaper, and more efficient card.

Blaming your own fanboyism or Obsessive-compulsive disorder is a far more logical thing to do.
    Famboyism? Hardly. I use both NVidia and ATI cards. I'm a high end consumer who has no problem spending money on a company's product that represents their best effort and will gladly pay a significant premium for their best effort. I don't give a crap what company that is, as long as their product works in my system. What I don't like is paying high end prices for what is clearly a mid-range part masquerading as a high-end part, simply because at this moment it's faster than the parts from their competitor.

Obsessive compulsive? Funny. Please explain the basis behind this remark. I am a computer enthusiast who enjoys new, high performance hardware (like pretty much everyone on these forums). Is everyone else on XS obsessive compulsive as well? If so, I'm in good company...

NooB MOD
    AMD was caught with their pants down (as good as the 7970 is it isn't enough) and Nvidia is using the opportunity to rape the consumer. I'm not impressed with either company right now
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew LB View Post
    It is a real high end product. And the high price is reflective of that fact.

That is what you call "wishful thinking".

And so you're blaming nVidia for AMD's failure?

Not quite.

AMD wasn't weak. HD7970 is a great performing card, or did you miss the past two months of every AMD fanboy dedicating their lives to making sure everyone knew it.

How on earth can you seriously call nVidia greedy when it was AMD who overpriced their own product. It was AMD's greed that decided on the price point for HD7970 plain and simple.

Sh*t.... the fanboys and their complete lacking in the use of reasoning runs thick in these forums today.
    Slow down son. Amd was first to the 28nm table and they priced their product according to performance meaning more expansive than 580 which is quite logical. That doesn't really mean their product is the best they could.

My only gripe is with 'enthusiasts' complaining too much about the GK104. In the end this is a mainstream chip sold as a high end one because the competition allowed them. Good job nvidia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleatus View Post
    Just cause you pour syrup over crap dont make it pancakes

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by bhavv View Post
    IMO I strongly believe that the GK104 was actually meant to have been the GTX 660 ...
    Sir, I believe that is blatantly obvious.

Hence:

\Project\ Triple Surround Fury
    Case:
    Mountain Mods Ascension (modded)
    CPU: i7 920 @ 4GHz + EK Supreme HF (plate #1)
    GPU: GTX 670 3-Way SLI + XSPC Razor GTX670 water blocks
    Mobo: ASUS Rampage III Extreme + EK FB R3E water block
    RAM: 3x 2GB Mushkin Enhanced Ridgeback DDR3 @ 6-8-6-24 1T
    SSD: Crucial M4 256GB, 0309 firmware
    PSU: 2x Corsair HX1000s on separate circuits
    LCD: 3x ASUS VW266H 26" Nvidia Surround @ 6030 x 1200
    Games: AoE II: HD, BF4, MKKE, MW2 via FourDeltaOne (Domination all day!)

Quote Originally Posted by halfwaythere View Post
    Slow down son. Amd was first to the 28nm table and they priced their product according to performance meaning more expansive than 580 which is quite logical. That doesn't really mean their product is the best they could.

My only gripe is with 'enthusiasts' complaining too much about the GK104. In the end this is a mainstream chip sold as a high end one because the competition allowed them. Good job nvidia.
    if there was a way that NV could go back to selling $1k cards do you really think that they would just have the one $400-500 lvl and nothing more, the 100 is clearly a behemoth and TSMC could not make it properly. what we have now is NV with a chip that has less shader clusters (as seen in less ROPs but the same ROP and memory buss config as teh last gen but with 2x the shader cores per cluster) is 50% more shaders than the 580 (note that it has 3x more in specs but they now have a scaller unit instead of doubling the core for the shader clock for shader notation) and it performs almost exactly the same as the 7970 clocked to 1ghz (were it belongs at stock), so there is plenty of room for a higher end chip and they would put it out if they could but instead next fall both companies will have a second rev 28nm chip out and we will have what was supposed to be this gen.
    Last edited by zanzabar; 03-23-2012 at 12:42 AM.

Xtreme Mentor
    imo this is just enough for being a 680 but this 680 is not nvidia style. so it is normal for nvidia to name this 670 ti or something like that. as everybody said 4 of the gk104 is nearly a proof for this. 48 rop version of this card is the best guess i can make for gk100 or real 680. but understandably nvidia decided make gk104 flag ship. and because naming it 670ti will make customers "hmmm will there be a 680 so i should wait for that" they simply name it 680.

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast