Thread: SSD and raid 0 - How bad is it really?

Xtreme Member

SSD and raid 0 - How bad is it really?

Hi there, im running out of space on my ssd (120) and i need to change it. The thing is that is cheaper to buy 2 120 and do raid 0 than a single 240 (or 256)

How bad is it really to do a raid 0 for normal usage? With normal i mean install of os, all common programs and then about 2 games top per month (all heavy downloads goes to normal hdds, only installs go to the ssd)

I usually format my pc once a year, mostly for hardware change.

How bad could it be?

Xtreme Mentor
    It depends on the SSD as some are better than other at garbage collection. For “normal” usage you are unlikely to notice performance degradation outside of benchmarks.
    Intel have been threatening to release drives that will enable trim in raid configurations, so perhaps it won’t be a problem for much longer anyway.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ao1 View Post
    It depends on the SSD as some are better than other at garbage collection. For “normal” usage you are unlikely to notice performance degradation outside of benchmarks.
    Intel have been threatening to release drives that will enable trim in raid configurations, so perhaps it won’t be a problem for much longer anyway.
    I've simply assumed TRIM worked fine, since my OS claims its enabled. Is it different under software RAID in OS X? Hardware profiler claims TRIM is enabled on both drives.

Xtreme Mentor
    The drives are trim enabled but when you put the drives into a raid array the chipset drivers prevent the TRIM command from being passed to the drive.

I have 3 intel ssd on raid 0 and get 817mbs amazing speed

U only have to do an acronyms image after u finish installing all u need as it has no trim support so in some months u hdd erase them and loaf image and acronis will align data for you

Happy raiding
    Intel Core i9-7980XE@ 4.8GHz 18C/18TH (Direct Die Contact)
    ASRock X299 OC Formula
    ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D80 (4x8GB) DDR4-3800C17 B-Die
    1x Intel Optane SSD 905P 480GB
    4x HP EX950 NVMe 2TB on ASRock ULTRA M.2 CARD
    EVGA RTX 2080TI KINGPIN 2190/8000 Stock Cooling AIO 240
    SilverStone ST1500W-TI TITANIUM
    Alphacool Custom Water Cooling

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Computer: Intel i7-4770k | Asus Z87 Maximus VI Impact | 240GB Corsair Force GT | 240GB OCZ Vertex 3 | 16GB G.Skill Trident X 2400MHz | EVGA GTX690 Hydro Copper 4GB | Corsair AX850 | Steelseries 7G | Logitech G500 | 27" 2560x1440 Overlord Tempest X270OC 120Hz S-IPS
    Cooling: Koolance 380i CPU block | Swiftech Hydro Copper GPU block | EK X3 150 Reservoir | EK X-TOP D5 PWM drive | PrimoChill PrimoFlex PRO LRT Bloodshed red | Alphacool NexXxos 240mm XT45 | Alphacool NexXxos 280mm UT60 | Bitspower Fittings | 4x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 120mm | 2x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 140mm | Lamptron FC-5V2
    Case: Custom modded matte black Caselabs Mercury S3

Xtreme Addict
    I've had 4xC300s in raid0 for nearly 2 years now and throughput is still within a margin of error of where they were when new.

--Matt
    My Rig :
    Core i5 4570S - ASUS Z87I-DELUXE - 16GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-2400 - 256GB Plextor M5 Pro Xtreme

Xtreme Member
    My OCZ Vertex 3's in RAID 0 have had no issues

Talk about e-peen numbers, lol. ^^That's what happens when you move to different chipsets

EDIT: Make sure you don't have a Marvell controller for the RAID!
    Last edited by The Jesus; 03-22-2012 at 06:22 PM.
    Why yes, yes I do use Koolance..*Flame Wall Inbound*

Xtreme Member
    Personally I think the best SSDs for RAID are Corsair Performance 3s. They have the most aggressive garbage collection of any drive out there. They are older and a bit slower than the current crop. If running RAID I would suggest something with a Marvell controller as they have background garbage collection (the little workers do their thing while your system is idle). SandForce drives do not have background GC but I've been using a set of Wildfire 120GB drives in RAID 5 for several months and haven't felt a slowdown. That doesn't mean it isn't there but its nothing you notice in day to day computing/gaming.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Highendtoys View Post
    Personally I think the best SSDs for RAID are Corsair Performance 3s. They have the most aggressive garbage collection of any drive out there. They are older and a bit slower than the current crop. If running RAID I would suggest something with a Marvell controller as they have background garbage collection (the little workers do their thing while your system is idle). SandForce drives do not have background GC but I've been using a set of Wildfire 120GB drives in RAID 5 for several months and haven't felt a slowdown. That doesn't mean it isn't there but its nothing you notice in day to day computing/gaming.
    Marvell controllers have cause tons of issues with RAID and SSDs recently, I would not recommend them.

SSDabuser
    No, dude. He means Marvell-powered SSDs, not Marvell SATA controllers.

Although Marvell-controlled SSDs have some issues with expanders I think. Not my area though.
    Last edited by Christopher; 03-23-2012 at 03:30 AM.

Xtreme Member
    If i do a raid, ill be using the maximus v gene-z / gen3 default one, i wont buy a card for it.

Which ssd's are the best option for raid 0 atm?

SSDabuser
    Anything with good garbage collection.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    No, dude. He means Marvell-powered SSDs, not Marvell SATA controllers.

Although Marvell-controlled SSDs have some issues with expanders I think. Not my area though.
    Ah, missed that

Yeah, anything with good garbage collection is perfect. Also make sure that the speeds are up to par. And SATA III of course.

Xtreme Member
    And which ssd has a good garbage collection? M4? Corsair pro? Corsair Force GT?

Which is the best for R0 (2x120) and wich is the best alone (256)??

I dont really know much about ssd

Thanks
    Last edited by Edward88; 03-26-2012 at 08:17 PM.

SSDabuser
    I never got one, but the Corsair Performance 3 was probably the best in terms of garbage collection without TRIM. The Marvell drives all do well, but that one particular drive was said to be much better.

That said, if I had to put two 128s in R0, it would be the Plextor M3P 128GB. I have one, and I wish I had two. Either that, or the Samsung 830 128GBx2.

For one 256GB drive -- I like the 830. But the Plextor M3S/M3P (166mt 24nm Toggle) and Corsair Performance Pro (32nm Toggle) are both brutally fast, have 512MB of DRAM and are probably the fastest drives on the market @ 256GB.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward88 View Post
    And which ssd has a good garbage collection? M4? Corsair pro? Corsair Force GT?

Which is the best for R0 (2x120) and wich is the best alone (256)??
    If it is compatible with your RAID, I would say Plextor 128GB M3P for RAID-0. But two caveats:

1) Marvell controller (with certain FW) may have difficulty with certain hardware RAID cards

2) Do you REALLY need RAID 0?

If the answer to 2) is no, I'd go with a 256GB Plextor M3P. With 500MB/s reads and 430MB/s writes, very few workloads need RAID 0 of 2x128GB.

But if you are determined to RAID SSDs and the Plextor is not compatible with your RAID card, maybe go with 128GB Samsung 830's. They have good speed and good GC. I cannot comment on RAID card compatibility, however.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    That said, if I had to put two 128s in R0, it would be the Plextor M3P 128GB. I have one, and I wish I had two. Either that, or the Samsung 830 128GBx2.
    Heh, I wrote mine before I read yours!

Xtreme Member
    I dont really need r0, i need space.

Im going to be using the default raid controller from the asus maximus iv gene z/gen3

SSDabuser
    Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    Heh, I wrote mine before I read yours!
    It might be worth saying twice anyway . The 128GB M3P is milligram-for-milligram and bit-for-bit the fastest drive on the market based on almost any metric. And it doesn't use much power doing it.

The RAID problem isn't an issue for MB raid, and Crucial will already let you ship your M4 in for a beta firmware fix. It's in validation now.

My 128GB Plextor M3P

Imagine this, but better and bigger.
    Last edited by Christopher; 03-26-2012 at 10:15 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward88 View Post
    I dont really need r0, i need space.
    Then I think the 256GB Plextor M3P is your best bet.