Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6131415161718 LastLast

Thread: nVidia 'Kepler' GeForce GTX 680 Reviews

Xtreme Enthusiast
    That Vortez review is a joke. Pre-release drivers, half the tests are 1080P (lol for 3 and 4 way GPU testing), and their charts are all in error. Check the Skyrim tests. The 4-way 7970 performance numbers are in the bottom half of all the Skyrim charts yet in the cumulative FPS numbers it's the highest? They have no clue what they are doing.
    GPU: 4-Way SLI GTX Titan's (1202 MHz Core / 3724 MHz Mem) with EK water blocks and back-plates
    CPU: 3960X - 5.2 GHz with Koolance 380i water block
    MB: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme with EK full board water block
    RAM: 16 GB 2400 MHz Team Group with Bitspower water blocks
    DISPLAY: 3x 120Hz Portrait Perfect Motion Clarity 2D Lightboost Surround
    SOUND: Asus Xonar Essence -One- USB DAC/AMP
    PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX1500
    SSD: Raid 0 - Samsung 840 Pro's
    BUILD THREAD: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1751610

BlackFox
    I have seen your comments on other forums about this review and you are starting to sound quite bitter I read the reviews over at Vortez quite regular and to be honest the justification for using those drivers is fair. If you read the review comments there is discussion about this. You ought to wind your neck in rather than going on a mission to bad mouth what looks like a good article with many hours/days of hard work.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackFox View Post
    to be honest the justification for using those drivers is fair.
    You're joking...
    For this review we will be using the previous refresh of NVIDIA drivers due to the decision NVIDIA made in disabling PCIe Gen 3 in their latest driver set for X79. While there are advantages to both driver sets, we are comparing like for like today so as AMD drivers are PCIe 3.0 compatible, we didn't want to confuse matters by using PCIe 2.0 with the NVIDIA setup.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Final8ty View Post
    You need to clarify what your saying.
    They didn't build a pyramid because they had so many does not make sense at all.
    They didn't build a pyramid because they came in late and had to ship before they could build on does.
    They didn't build a pyramid because they had so many
    http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sho...6&postcount=41

That's what Gibbo said. One has to remember that they receive stock before the launch day. Reinforcing that it wa not a paper launch,

Then after the cards launched and people could by them, they sold one nearly every minute.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sho...0&postcount=47

Xtreme Guru
    Actually, I think Vortez is completely justified in using those drivers BUT there are some issues by going this approach. I'll outline them for you.

- The drivers used are pre-release and not available to the public. Therefore, what's the use of showing performance that may or may not represent what people will actually achieve? IMO, the entire point of reviews is to demonstrate possible performance from an end user perspective and / or demonstrate comparative performance against other solutions. What amounts to alpha drivers entails quite a few potential issues.

- I'm not sure what (if any) the cumulative performance increases between that driver set and the subsequent ones was, but once again, using alphas or early betas is risky. There's a PCI-E 3.0 version of the official release drivers out there. They should have asked their contacts for it.

- NOT including performance with publicly available drivers is a bit of a miss IMO. It isn't detrimental to the review itself but I'd count it a missed opportunity.

Otherwise, I think the review was well done and let's be honest, us enthusiasts will always find problems with anything. To their credit, they used a properly overclocked processor and enough memory that bottlenecks shouldn't have occurred there either.

Xtreme Member
    http://en.expreview.com/2012/04/25/g...iew/22634.html

I read this review this morning, I do like one , the 2 Gb version is listed on Newegg, but OOS.
    I never own Galaxy Video card before, how is their product quality ?
    2x Asus P8Z68-V PRO Bios 0501
    i7 2600K @ 4.6GHz 1.325v / i5 2500K @ 4.4GHz 1.300v
    2x G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB DDR3 1600
    Plextor M5P 256GB SSD / Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD
    Seasonic X-1050 PSU / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold PSU
    EVGA GTX 690 (+135%/+100MHz/+200MHz/75%) / EVGA GTX 680 SC Signature+ (+130%/+80MHz/+200MHz/70%)

Xtreme Enthusiast

GeForce GTX 680 3-Way SLI & Radeon 7970 Tri-Fire Review

For GTX 680 3-Way SLI we have the latest Beta driver installed, ForceWare 301.24.
    http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/...trifire_review

Battlefield 3 Multiplayer

Xtreme Enthusiast
    In BF3, even though the Radeon HD 7970 Tri-Fire was playable at 4X AA, our experiences with SLI were smoother and more fluid. The experience itself just felt better with 3-Way SLI, despite the fact it wasn't running at 4X MSAA, the experience seemed better to us with GTX 680 3-Way SLI.
    In BF3 Multiplayer GTX 680 3-Way SLI was night and day superior to Radeon HD 7970 Tri-Fire. In multiplayer gameplay the name of the game is speed, performance, and smoothness to gameplay. GeForce GTX 680 3-Way SLI produced these aspects in spades. In order to get Radeon HD 7970 Tri-Fire to feel smooth enough, we had to reduce Ambient Occlusion to SSAO, and turn off motion blur. We could not go above FXAA, 2X or 4X MSAA made the game feel choppy. With GeForce GTX 680 3-Way SLI we were able to keep Ambient Occlusion at HBAO, though we did turn off motion blur for the best reaction time and accuracy. On top of the higher setting, GTX 680 3-Way SLI simply felt smoother and better, we had more fun in multiplayer with it compared to HD 7970 Tri-Fire.
    We also weren't able to use AMD's Adaptive SSAA in Skyrim even with Tri-Fire. The image quality ended up being the same between the two configurations, but performance and overall smoothness was superior with 3-Way SLI.
    Therefore, in summary, on the whole GTX 680 3-Way SLI provided the best actual experience gaming. Framerate does not tell all, and it often doesn't show you how a game feels when you are playing it. We have said it before, and we'll say it again, SLI feels better than CrossFireX, it feels smoother, and is more fluid. With CrossFireX you have to achieve higher framerates in order for it to feel as smooth as SLI does.
    Don't just post the pretty graphs, read the text

SLC
    again with the feeling crap. Measure time between each frame to determine microstutter on both setups. Measure input lag. Only then you can make claims that setup X is more fluid than setup Y. Still nobody did a proper review.
    Last edited by One_Hertz; 04-25-2012 at 09:03 AM.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by One_Hertz View Post
    again with the feeling crap. Measure time between each frame to determine microstutter on both setups. Measure input lag. Only then you can make claims that setup X is more fluid than setup Y.
    i liked the power consumption summary the best
    it showed the 7970s being under utilized in skyrim and deus ex, so maybe they can pull 20% more perf out of those with some driver updates
    but the others showed each card nearly maxed out in power, and those games were quite close in graphs

but yes in any multi gpu setup, microstutter testing is a MUST.
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by One_Hertz View Post
    again with the feeling crap. Measure time between each frame to determine microstutter on both setups. Measure input lag. Only then you can make claims that setup X is more fluid than setup Y. Still nobody did a proper review.
    Not possible. Currently you cannot properly measure the frame times on Nvidia hardware due to the frame metering technology. What you measure with fraps is not accurate.
    Why is it crap if the reviewer tells about his experiences? This is much more valuable than numbers that don't tell the whole story. And with AFR, fps are not the whole story, that's a fact. And btw it is nothing new that SLI is smoother than CF. I have read this in other reviews time and again.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by boxleitnerb View Post
    Not possible. Currently you cannot properly measure the frame times on Nvidia hardware due to the frame metering technology. What you measure with fraps is not accurate.
    Why is it crap if the reviewer tells about his experiences? This is much more valuable than numbers that don't tell the whole story. And with AFR, fps are not the whole story, that's a fact. And btw it is nothing new that SLI is smoother than CF. I have read this in other reviews time and again.
    Care to be specific about why FRAPS doesn't work with nvidia?

Techreport's new benchs center around frame time comparisons.
    E7200 @ 3.4 ; 7870 GHz 2 GB
    Intel's atom is a terrible chip.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by cegras View Post

nvidia told us once how it worked and that it measures the time before the image is actually send to the monitor

its not perfect, but its not like its that bad of a measurement.
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by cegras View Post

Sure:
    Now, take note of the implications here. Because the metering delay is presumably inserted between T_render and T_display, Fraps would miss it entirely. That means all of our SLI data on the preceding pages might not track with how frames are presented to the user. Rather than perceive an alternating series of long and short frame times, the user would see a more even flow of frames at an average latency between the two.
    http://techreport.com/articles.x/21516/11

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I have seen your comments on other forums about this review and you are starting to sound quite bitter I read the reviews over at Vortez quite regular and to be honest the justification for using those drivers is fair. If you read the review comments there is discussion about this. You ought to wind your neck in rather than going on a mission to bad mouth what looks like a good article with many hours/days of hard work.
    Bitter? Because I call people out for retarded reviews with junk data? lol ok. Read below for the proper way to do Tr-Fire testing...

Quote Originally Posted by cold2010 View Post

GeForce GTX 680 3-Way SLI & Radeon 7970 Tri-Fire Review

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/...trifire_review
    GPU: 4-Way SLI GTX Titan's (1202 MHz Core / 3724 MHz Mem) with EK water blocks and back-plates

BlackFox
    Quote Originally Posted by Callsign_Vega View Post
    Bitter? Because I call people out for retarded reviews with junk data? lol ok. Read below for the proper way to do Tr-Fire testing...
    Some may find that word 'retard' quite offensive Pilot Boy. Your tone and attitude is really showing in this thread.

You may rememebr this: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=226569

Have a read of your own comments on this matter:

Down to the nitty gritty; if you run a single GPU, yes; a single 16x speed PCI-E 2.0 slot will be fine. When you start to run multiple GPU's and/or run these new cards at 8x speed, especially in Surround/Eyefinity, make sure to get PCI-E 3.0.

Xtreme Mentor
    So, what are the bets on when Nvidia will finally get around to releasing a driver update for these cards?

Quote Originally Posted by Callsign_Vega View Post
    Running SSAA on AMD and transparency AA on Nvidia is proper way to do a review? OK, I guess.
    Last edited by BababooeyHTJ; 04-25-2012 at 03:37 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Some may find that word 'retard' quite offensive Pilot Boy. Your tone and attitude is really showing in this thread.

You may rememebr this: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=226569

Have a read of your own comments on this matter:
    Pilot boy? Is that the best you can do? What shall we call you, McDonalds boy? My tone and attitude is from someone who has vast experience with this topic and I know what I am talking about. It always amazes me the biggest loud-mouths on topics such as this have never had the equipment nor tested anything and have zero experience. And what does a quote about PCI-E 3.0 have to do with the VOrtez review that tests single monitor 1080P and 1600P? If you are referring to the [H] review, both AMD and NVIDIA cards were on 2.0 so it was an apples to apples comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by BababooeyHTJ View Post
    Running SSAA on AMD and transparency AA on Nvidia is proper way to do a review? OK, I guess.
    They also have direct comparison charts and not best playability charts.

Xtreme Addict
    Notice how the [H] makes good use out of multiple-GPU setups by testing them in Nvidia Surround and Eyefinity setups.

The [H] just gets it.
    \Project\ Triple Surround Fury
    Case:
    Mountain Mods Ascension (modded)
    CPU: i7 920 @ 4GHz + EK Supreme HF (plate #1)
    GPU: GTX 670 3-Way SLI + XSPC Razor GTX670 water blocks
    Mobo: ASUS Rampage III Extreme + EK FB R3E water block
    RAM: 3x 2GB Mushkin Enhanced Ridgeback DDR3 @ 6-8-6-24 1T
    SSD: Crucial M4 256GB, 0309 firmware
    PSU: 2x Corsair HX1000s on separate circuits
    LCD: 3x ASUS VW266H 26" Nvidia Surround @ 6030 x 1200
    Games: AoE II: HD, BF4, MKKE, MW2 via FourDeltaOne (Domination all day!)

Xtremely Kool
    Quote Originally Posted by N19h7m4r3 View Post
    They didn't build a pyramid because they had so many
    http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sho...6&postcount=41
    Yes i know they get stock beforehand and that's why i said maybe the stock was late as to why because Gibbo excuse still does not make sense because there is no rule that you must used all the stock, if they normally use 50 then use 50 of the stock, i think they were being lazy this time.
    Last edited by Final8ty; 04-25-2012 at 06:24 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by boxleitnerb View Post
    This is for SLI? How about individual GPUs? I did not read anything pertaining to that.

Edit: I misread your original post. Sorry!
    E7200 @ 3.4 ; 7870 GHz 2 GB
    Intel's atom is a terrible chip.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by BababooeyHTJ View Post
    So, what are the bets on when Nvidia will finally get around to releasing a driver update for these cards?

Adaptive SSAA is not fullscreen SSAA, but works on transparent textures only - just as TrSSAA.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=350890

Xtreme Addict
    They dont use the new technique from AMD for SSGSAA in DX10-11 with Lod applied ?

Note due to a problem with tri fire + eyefinity on last driver they was stuck with the 8.921 RC ... Im not even sure SSAA + Lod was available at this time ( aka 11.12 driver, prerelease )
    Last edited by Lanek; 04-26-2012 at 01:01 AM.
    CPU: - I7 4930K (EK Supremacy )
    GPU: - 2x AMD HD7970 flashed GHZ bios ( EK Acetal Nickel Waterblock H2o)
    Motherboard: Asus x79 Deluxe
    RAM: G-skill Ares C9 2133mhz 16GB
    Main Storage: Samsung 840EVO 500GB / 2x Crucial RealSSD C300 Raid0

Xtreme Member
    Galaxy GTX680 4GB vs 2GB vs HD 7970 3GB:
    http://en.expreview.com/2012/04/25/g...iew/22634.html

Coolermaster 690 II Advanced + Corsair AX850
    Cooler master Masterliquid 240
    Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 + Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.9GHz
    F4-3200C15D-16GTZ @ 3200 14-14-14-34-1T
    Sapphire HD6950 2GB @6970 - 900/1400
    Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB + Samsung HD204UI 2TB

SLC
    So there is zero improvement for having 4GB... The entire boost is from the higher core speed.

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6131415161718 LastLast