Thread: Help With Water Chiller

Xtreme Member

Help With Water Chiller

Ive had an AC sitting in my basement for years. Took the cover off, propped something in the fan blades so it wouldnt spin, powered it on, and nothing got cold, just smelt something burning (Im guessing the fan motor). I pulled what I thought was the thermomter off the front and left it hanging. Not sure what I was supposed to do with it.

Anyway, plan is to use it in a cooler to cool a water mixture, but not sure what to do next, or if it even works since its not getting cold.

PICS
    http://s864.photobucket.com/albums/a...ter%20Chiller/
    Last edited by Cecil; 03-22-2012 at 12:06 AM.
    Heatware Cecil

-150c Club Member
    The fan needs to spin first off.
    The same motor spins the blower as well as the fan on the condenser. The condenser needs airflow, and plenty of it.
    You simply need to remove the blower fan cage and cut the motor shaft.

If you have a cooling question or concern feel free to contact me.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n00b 0f l337 View Post
    The fan needs to spin first off.
    The same motor spins the blower as well as the fan on the condenser. The condenser needs airflow, and plenty of it.
    You simply need to remove the blower fan cage and cut the motor shaft.
    Is the blower fan in the front (next to the control panel) or back? And where do I cut the motor shaft?
    Heatware Cecil

-150c Club Member
    The blower fan is the one that doesn't look like a normal fan. Has a big hollow center and as it spins whips air out the sides. That should just pull off the shaft or have a clip.
    The other fan blade on the condenser coil should look like a normal fan. That needs to stay.

If you kept pushing it though, they'res a fair chance you could have burnt the fan motor out in which case you'll need to replace it, or get a big enough fan to cool the condenser. That's how these systems work.

Xtreme Member
    Pulled the blower fan off, and started it up. Spinning just fine, but the front rad still isnt getting cold.

Is the piece haning out front the thermomter? Is that where it should be, or do I disconect it some how?

Heatware Cecil

Xtreme Member
    Lol the dial on it seems reversed. In the Fan Only possition it finally kicked on and is nice and frosty.

So all I got to do now is try and get it sunked down in a cooler and pour in distilled water and antifreeze, then stick in my tubing from the pump and block right?
    Heatware Cecil

-150c Club Member
    Basically. Remove the thermostat from the system is one of the best bets. Replace it with an on off switch light switch and electrical box from home depot. Pickup a cooler while your there for the evaporator and a big tube of caulk. You probably will have to cut a slit for the tubes in the cooler, then replace the chunk of cooler or fill it in with caulk.

Xtreme Member
    I just did it the quick and dirty way. Its purely a benching setup that I can take apart and clean whenever. I took a kitchen faucet filter and zip tied it on to the pump inlet tube, and started running it. Didnt give it enough time to cool all the water yet (about 10 gallons), but its cool enough so far to run LinX at 5Ghz 1.5V with a 2500K sub 50C.

Heatware Cecil

Xtreme Member
    Made it benchable in low teens so far at 5.4Ghz 1.55V.
    Heatware Cecil

Xtreme Enthusiast
    What range are your coolant temps Idle/Load ?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by felix_w View Post
    What range are your coolant temps Idle/Load ?
    No idea, dont have a thermometer.
    Just checking CPU temps with hwmonitor, and cores stay in the teens for single threaded stuff, and in the 20s for multi threaded stuff. Max Ive gotten is 5.5Ghz 1.58Vcore. 5.6 wont post, so Im guessing my 2500K is topped out.

Last edited by Cecil; 03-26-2012 at 12:40 AM.
    Heatware Cecil