Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is the video game industry Apple’s next victim?

Xtreme Addict
    They will probably do something like kinect or some other controller-less scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    Nope, they just need different game concepts. For instance Angry Birds suits the touch screen perfectly, better than mouse / keyboard / controller imho.
    I enjoy Angry Birds in a pinch. But, IMO, artillery games are WAY better with keyboard input. You have so much more accuracy and repeatability, which is essential in the genera.

c[_]
    What would be awesome is a controller you could plug into your phone, with a little bracket for the phone to sit in.

problem solved... bonus points if the controller includes a keyboard.... and mouse

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Addict
    I'm going to throw this out there and blow all your minds...

Every single iPad launch has been exactly in tune with that year's GDC. Want to know when Apple is launching their next iPad? Check when the next GDC is... 3 iPads in a row.
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    I am magical.

Xtreme Addict
    Its typical dumbing down of america and we love it.

Lazy , no personal responsibility , me me me, now now now.

Ipad is a large screen Iphone end of story. People want 90% surfing and gaming with 10% function and thats what they got.

Its for now a free country and if people want to spend cash on apple so be it.

Apple stock is up 20% in a month and making people rich its the american way.

As for me I will stick to my home computer and Samsung phone to get me by since I love large screens, oh ya my hone TV is a 73"
    i7 6700K @4.8 ghz
    XSPC RayStorm (very nice block)
    Z170 Sabertooh ,, 32GB- Gskill (15-15-15-36 @3600 mhz) 1:1
    XFX-7970 with Swiftech Komodo nickel block
    Water Cooling - MO-RA3 Pro with 4 Silverstone 180mm @ 700 rpm, Twin Vario mcp-655 pumps
    Samsung 850-1TB SSD,, OCZ ZX-1250W (powerfull and silent)
    Crossfire 30" decent monitor for IPS too bad SED tech died

Docsis2.0 Docsis3.0

-- People who reject the idea that "government has a responsibility to reduce income inequality" give an average of four times more than people who accept that proposition.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by iboomalot View Post
    Ipad is a large screen Iphone end of story.
    That's not true. It can't even make phone calls :P
    Computer: Intel i7-4770k | Asus Z87 Maximus VI Impact | 240GB Corsair Force GT | 240GB OCZ Vertex 3 | 16GB G.Skill Trident X 2400MHz | EVGA GTX690 Hydro Copper 4GB | Corsair AX850 | Steelseries 7G | Logitech G500 | 27" 2560x1440 Overlord Tempest X270OC 120Hz S-IPS
    Cooling: Koolance 380i CPU block | Swiftech Hydro Copper GPU block | EK X3 150 Reservoir | EK X-TOP D5 PWM drive | PrimoChill PrimoFlex PRO LRT Bloodshed red | Alphacool NexXxos 240mm XT45 | Alphacool NexXxos 280mm UT60 | Bitspower Fittings | 4x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 120mm | 2x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 140mm | Lamptron FC-5V2
    Case: Custom modded matte black Caselabs Mercury S3

Xtreme Mentor
    Touch screen devices cant really compare to video game quality on a PC or proper console. They might gain more sales, but thats because just about everyone has a phone and mobile games only cost a fraction of a retail release PC or console game.

I recently got a Nokia Lumia 800 which uses windows mango. I bought just a couple of games that keep me entertained on the go, monopoly and plants vs zombies, both play wonderfully on the touch screen device and are superbly addictive.

But the latter is still significantly better when played on my PC with a keyboard and mouse, plus you cant do hardly as much with mobile games compared to PC / console ones due to hardware, storage space and touch pad limitations.

Xtreme Member
    they might destroy console gaming, but not pc gaming.

maybe when neural interface works like a charm, but untill then nothing compares to mouse and keyboard for fps, mmos, and rts (or tbs) consoles already tried to steall that.
    Last edited by herderien; 03-22-2012 at 01:27 PM.
    Core i7 2700k@4,8ghz HT off- 1.41v / Gainward GTX580 GooD 850/1700/2200 / 2X4Gb G.Skill Ares 1833C9 / Z77 Sabertooth / Crucial M4 64 Gb / WD 320Gb and 640GB / Corsair H80 / Corsair 620 HX

Xtreme Mentor
    WoW, Guild Wars 1 / 2, DDO, Lotro, Diablo III (and all its clones), Total War series, Civilization series, Battleforge, Age of Empires online (very great game if you can get over the graphics), The Witcher 1 / 2, Elder Scrolls series with full modability, my entire steam library .....

Good luck inventing a mobile touch screen device that can do all that.

Xtreme Addict
    My opinion? Current game manufacturers won't let Apple into the console space, at least not as the current (or near-future) console space is concerned. A lot of them have already seen first hand what happens in Apples app market, and won't want to get them a foothold. The gaming industry is somewhere that is already extremely developed, and doesn't need the "Apple" product blanket to get more users. Or to say, no major game company would look at the situation, and see an opportunity to make more by adding a third player to the market. Sure there would be a slight bit more by people who buy games for more than one platform, but Apple sure as heck isn't going to have a more developer focused ecosystem than the current companies.

Core i7 920 D0 B-batch (4.1) (Kinda Stable?) | DFI X58 T3eH8 (Fed up with its' issues, may get a new board soon) | Patriot 1600 (9-9-9-24) (for now) | XFX HD 4890 (971/1065) (for now) |
    80GB X25-m G2 | WD 640GB | PCP&C 750 | Dell 2408 LCD | NEC 1970GX LCD | Win7 Pro | CoolerMaster ATCS 840 {Modded to reverse-ATX, WC'ing internal}

CPU Loop: MCP655 > HK 3.0 LT > ST 320 (3x Scythe G's) > ST Res >Pump
    GPU Loop: MCP655 > MCW-60 > PA160 (1x YL D12SH) > ST Res > BIP 220 (2x YL D12SH) >Pump

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelCain View Post
    My opinion? Current game manufacturers won't let Apple into the console space, at least not as the current (or near-future) console space is concerned. A lot of them have already seen first hand what happens in Apples app market, and won't want to get them a foothold. The gaming industry is somewhere that is already extremely developed, and doesn't need the "Apple" product blanket to get more users. Or to say, no major game company would look at the situation, and see an opportunity to make more by adding a third player to the market. Sure there would be a slight bit more by people who buy games for more than one platform, but Apple sure as heck isn't going to have a more developer focused ecosystem than the current companies.
    while i'd like to agree with that - if apple decides to make some console then people will buy it without question then game manufacturers will be at the mercy of people wanting to only play on the iconsole becasue it's apple and 'different'

My Free-DC Stats
    You use IRC and Crunch in Xs WCG team? Join #xs.wcg @ Quakenet

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Origin_Unknown View Post
    while i'd like to agree with that - if apple decides to make some console then people will buy it without question then game manufacturers will be at the mercy of people wanting to only play on the iconsole becasue it's apple and 'different'
    very true, do not underestimate apple fanboys, they can pay 400€ juste to gain a few pixels on their screens/camera ...
    Core i7 2700k@4,8ghz HT off- 1.41v / Gainward GTX580 GooD 850/1700/2200 / 2X4Gb G.Skill Ares 1833C9 / Z77 Sabertooth / Crucial M4 64 Gb / WD 320Gb and 640GB / Corsair H80 / Corsair 620 HX

Xtreme Addict
    No doubt it would make gaming more acceptable in the eyes of the clueless mainstream consumer zombie crowd. For better or worse I guess..
    Asus Crosshair IV Extreme
    AMD FX-8350
    AMD ref. HD 6950 2Gb x 2
    4x4Gb HyperX T1
    Corsair AX1200
    3 x Alphacool triple, 2 x Alphacool ATXP 6970/50, EK D5 dual top, EK Supreme HF

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Origin_Unknown View Post

...but, the majority of established studios that dev games could also refuse to work with Apple from the start thereby either forcing Apple to start their own studio or try and buy one that's on the verge of going under, neither of those would be the "best" option for them. I mean really, if you buy a studio that's going under, it's like buying a used car that someone joy rode through a corn field @ 100MPH (161KPH for you metric folks), how good could their programmers/games really have been if they're going under?
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Member
    Even an Apple product would be an improvement over the current consoles. The console business model of having a one off custom designed cpu + gpu that stays the same for 5-10 years is hopeless.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by lizardmech View Post
    Even an Apple product would be an improvement over the current consoles. The console business model of having a one off custom designed cpu + gpu that stays the same for 5-10 years is hopeless.
    I'm already having to read everywhere how much the next gen consoles are going to dominate PCs for gaming performance ... well yes, PCs that are 1-2 years old that is. Within a few months of consoles being released, the hardware on them is already obsolete, and we end up stuck with console hardware limitation for the next decade.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    they might destroy console gaming, but not pc gaming.

maybe when neural interface works like a charm, but untill then nothing compares to mouse and keyboard for fps, mmos, and rts (or tbs) consoles already tried to steall that.
    They don't need to. PC gaming got thrown into a death spiral when 99% of what you wanted to do could be done on a laptop and people made the move to them. Outside of old schoolers who just like desktops and CAD a people, read a minority, laptops are taking over and the qualities people want in a laptop don't make it suitable for gaming. It's not the 1990's anymore, the ideal platform for PC gaming (large desktop) makes about as much sense for most people as snail mail and horse drawn buggies.

Consoles also did steal FPS and I can tell you why. Again, laptops. You can say it looks like on a console, and there is no kbm, but that doesn't matter. It looks worse on a laptop and the controller is good enough. All the people I know that used to play FPS on the PC don't now. They play on console, and if the FPS weren't on a console they wouldn't go back to the PC. It simply won't run on the type of hardware they buy now.

Current game manufacturers won't let Apple into the console space,
    Nobody wanted to let Sony in, oops, nobody wanted to let Microsoft in, oops! Nobody wanted to let apple in and the iphone and ipad are doing really well for game sales. People game on what they have. Consoles themselves have a history of new players jumping in and taking out the old ones. Atari, SEGA, SNK. It really comes down to brand image and power, which apple has.

Plus people game on the platforms they have now. Hence the iphone and the ipad. I think the 3Ds and PS Vita are better portable gaming products, but the point is moot. My work phone is an iphone, my personal tablet is an ASUS transformer prime, these are with me constantly. And both of them have extremely high quality games to play going back and from work, at the hotel, and on the toilet. There is no reason to get another portable.

Getting into the "console space" by which I think you mean on the TV in your living room? Transformer Prime already does that via HDMI and will take a blue tooth controler as well. If apple wants into the console space all they have to do is pull something off with apple TV talking to the damn ipad and enable bluetooth controllers and apple is in the console game.

but, the majority of established studios that dev games could also refuse to work with Apple from the start
    The majority of studios already do work with apple. The majority of games on my iphone are made by capcom, konami, square enix, and CAVE. These are the same companies that make the majority of games I like on consoles. Short of the ones that Sony and Microsoft have bought outright, they are already onboard with iproducts.

Besides, these companies aren't loyal at all. They jump to who's selling the most units and where the money is. All those years, 8bit and 16bit era with Nintendo and SEGA weren't worth a warm bucket of piss for loyalty once the PS1 came out. And despite the phenominal ride they had with Sony for the PS1/2 era they went and stabbed them in the back again with the xbox 360.

Don't kid yourself here. The big names already make games for apple and are making money hand over fist and have never been loyal to anybody in the past.

The console business model of having a one off custom designed cpu + gpu that stays the same for 5-10 years is hopeless.
    It's working pretty well for them. Also their arcade guts lasts longer, SEGA is still selling NAOMI kits with new games and the Atomiswave kicked on for a while. Both of those are dreamcasts.
    AMD Phenom II BE, ASUS Crosshair II formula, 8gb ddr2 800, 470 SLI, PC P&C 750, arcera RAID, 4x OCZ Vertex2, 2x samsung 7200 1tb, HT Omega Clario +

I am Xtreme
    ^i agree with alot he said.

the industry changes drastically every decade or so. we should actually be expecting a new competitor soon.
    although i worry what apple would release. it might be like the Wii, a pathetic and weak console that just looks pretty and small and works a little differently. except apple would sell it for 999$ because "anything cheaper would just be a bad quality [insert product name]" as they've said before
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Quote Originally Posted by cold fussion View Post
    an iphone 4s has similar gpu power to a ps3/360 and they seem to make do.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I think you're thinking about this the wrong way if you think "dedicated console". Apple is already in the video game fight without a dedicated anything. The iphone and ipad have been taking it to other handhelds. In fact, the iphone has managed to do something nobody could manage to do up till now, give Nintendo a run for their money in the portable market. Companies like Capcom, Konami, Square Enix, CAVE, that were known for putting out exclusives on Nintendo portables and the ports of their best games that everybody wanted. The iphone is now getting exclusives from them that are not on Nintendo portables. In addition the iphone got two of the biggest game ports everybody wanted but never landed on a Nintendo portable, Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana. That's in addition to a lot of the ports released for Nintendo Portables and the games released over PSN/Xbox Live/Wii Ware.

Apple is stealing Nintendo's lunch money here and pantsing them in the locker room through the same game devs that used to always back Nintendo. And they did it without even releasing a true portable console. They did it by cranking out a phone that could play games and having them sell like hot cakes.

As things sit right now you can already stream the content from an iphone or ipad to your TV via an $99 apple TV. And the content is pretty good. Sadly they are still stuck on the touch screen for stuff, but they are a simple blutooth controller away from finalizing the move.

Is it a console, no more than the iphone is a portable console. Will it compete with consoles, sure.

EDIT- Here you go

airplay-ipad-2.jpg

Last edited by crash5s; 03-23-2012 at 09:25 AM.
    AMD Phenom II BE, ASUS Crosshair II formula, 8gb ddr2 800, 470 SLI, PC P&C 750, arcera RAID, 4x OCZ Vertex2, 2x samsung 7200 1tb, HT Omega Clario +

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12