Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Z77X-UD5H First Impressions

I am Xtreme

Talking Z77X-UD5H First Impressions

I just got one of these, figured I would give you guys a look.

Let me begin by saying that this preview abides by the NDA of the new chipset, and thus I cannot divulge all the information currently available on this product other than its specifications and my physical analysis of the board. Benchmarks as well as extreme overclocking results and OC guide will be available at the soonest available time that NDA allows. This physical review is just to show people an in-depth looks at GIGABYTE’s Z77X-UD5H offering.

To begin here is the box, accessories, and board:

GIGABYTE decided to include both blue and black SATA cables so you can pick whichever fits your needs best I guess. However the blue cables are SATA3GB/s while the black are SATA6GB/s. There is a USB 3.0 front panel bay included as well. Considering the board has a whopping 3 internal USB 3.0 headers I would think a front panel bay is appropriate.

Now the color of the heatsinks doesn’t seem to really want to come through correctly with my lens, it is a soft blue color, and the lighting in the light box makes it looks very bright.

Here we have the backpanel filled with video outputs and USB 3.0 as well as 1394A and dual NIC!

I won’t comment much on the heatsinks, but from what I am told these heatsinks cool much better than previous models because of a new one-piece design which means contact between the fins and the base of the heatsink is more solid and thus allows for better thermal contact. I have a lot of pictures of the heatsinks from many different angles for you to check out for yourself. We can see that GIGABYTE has changed up a few things, an mSATA port is present on most of their boards, and their VRM is using new chokes as well as the new digital PWM. These boards are totally different beasts than their Z68 counterparts, in a very good way.

Here we have good spacing between the socket and the DIMMs, the less space between the two the better it is for OC, however the further away the easier it is to fit a larger cooler. It is a give and take scenario. What I like is that you can fully open the DIMM latches without having to remove the first long GPU. You can also see my favorite addition to the UD5; the OC area. We will take a closer look at all the OC features this board offers in a short while.

We can see the extra PCI-E power connector in the form of an SATA power connector, as well as 9 SATA ports, 5 of which are SATA6GB/s and 4 of which are SATA3GB/s. If you install a mSATA device it is disable the SATA port #5 which is one of the SATA3GB/s ports. We can also see all 3 USB 3.0 internal headers right here, two are positioned to either be for the front or backpanel, and one is very well positioned for the front panel included. If you look closely you can find a BIOS switch in there among the internal headers!

The 16X slots here all can be PCI-E 3.0, they are physically 16x, 8x, and 4x.

The back of the board features some extra low-side MOSFETs.

I like the screws holding down all of the heatsinks.
    However now we take those heatsinks off to reveal the good stuff:

Doesn’t it just look a bit nicer nude?(prob even nicer with a pot on it) First in depth thing I want to talk about and go over are the overclocking features, as this board is loaded!!! It is a OC board minus the OC colors and OC Touch(Buttons)! However This board will haul ass when it comes to OC

A powerful VRM has been provided, while the G1 Sniper 3 uses the same phase count, the UD5H features higher current capability chokes. These chokes are made by the same manufacturer that manufactured the custom chokes for the X58A-OC.

This VRM uses an 8 phase PWM, in which 6 of those 8 phases are doubled by special doubler ICs. The MOSFETs used this time around have better characteristics than the giga X79 MOSFETs, and GIGABTYE is using 3 MOSFETs per phase instead of 2 to better balance the load.
    You also have a very good cooling solution this time around, GIGABYTE says that these new heatsinks are the same mass as the heatsinks used on the Z68/P67 UD5, but have more surface area and have a direct contact design.

Now to move to the other chips:

• #1. Intel WG82579V is a GBit Ethernet controller which many in this industry thing is a great performer.
    • #2. is a Atheros AR8151 is a very high quality advanced GBit Ethernet controller, and thus provides the second NIC on this board. Atheros states that its controller has the lowest power consumption in the world.
    • #3. is a VLI810 USB 3.0 hub, it is a 1 to 4 output USB 3.0 SuperSpeed certified hub, if you want a USB 3.0 IC you want to make sure its SuperSpeed certified, as when it is it should operate up to the USB 3.0 standards advertised. I saw this little controller at work at IDF, it is pretty cool. There are two of these employed on this board.
    • #4. Is a VIA VT6308P which is a PCI to 1394A controller, providing two outputs. One output is on the backpanel and the other is an internal header. The PCI bus is provided by the iTE PCI-E to PCI bridge chip on this board.
    • #5. iTE8728F is a SuperI/O that we commonly find on all GIGABYTE boards, on this board it provides all 5 fan headers and control over them. It also provides temperatures, voltage, and fan speed monitoring.
    • #6. Realtek ALC898 featuring 110dB SNR, but get this, GIGABYTE has added the Creative XF-I software emulation to this board, so just like the ASUS ROG boards with XF-I the UD5H has it too now! However this board is using the new ALC898 codec that was first introduced by board makers on their X79 boards.
    • #7. This is where the audio output gets even better than other XF-I packages, two of these TI DRV632 which each not only improve the sound output but also are amplifiers and provide head phone amps built into the board. NO LONGER ONLY ON G1!!!! The UD5H now has some cool decked out audio as well.
    • #8. Marvell SE9172, this board has 2 of them, which provide the eSATA on the backpanel and the internal grey SATA6GB/s headers.

• #1 Two MXIC MX25L6406E are 64Mbit, 8MByte BIOS ROMs which provide a full UEFI. GIGABYTE calls these two chips Dual 3D UEFI BIOS. This time on the UD5H we have LEDs to tell us what BIOS is in use, as well as a switch to select which one to use!
    • #2 ASMedia ASM1442, there are two of these and they are level shifters which are a fancy word for Digital output to HDMI and DVI converters. D-SUB on the back panel is provided natively, and the PCh outputs to the display port natively as well, HDMI and DVI need level shifters. Same as we see on Z68 boards.
    • #3 iTE8892E is a PCI-E to PCI bridge chip which provides the internal PCI slot as well as the PCI to the VIA 1394A controller.
    • #4 ICS9DB403DGLF is a ICS clock generator that produces a 100mhz clock signal for PCI-E devices.
    • #5 Six NXP L04083B are PCI-E switches, and allow the lanes from the CPU’s PCI-E controller to be distributed in 3 modes which are shown in the next picture.
    • #6 PI3PCIE is a Pericom made PCI-E 2.0 switch for the switching between the #5 SAT3GB/s and the mSATA port.

If you didn’t notice this board provides PCI-E 3.0 on the 4X(16X) slot, so you could run 3-way crossfire at 8x/4x/4x in PCI-E 3.0. Above in my picture you can see what modes and what speed each slot will go to.

The Ultra Durable 4 was introduced recently, and so I decided to take a look at two new very interesting features, the Anti-Surge and the Anti-ESD ICs.

The Anti-ESD are pictured above, they make sure nothing gets hurt when you shock your USB ports, as I do a lot of the time. The risk of hurting anything is small as is, however these types of technologies cut down on RMAs and lead to happier buyers, so it is nice to see them implemented even though they cost a slight bit more on the manufacturing side.

Here is the Anti-Surge IC, so if your power lines are hit by lightning and you don’t have a surge protector then your PSU dies and then takes your whole system? Well not here, this little IC will take the heat before your board or the rest of your components like your memory, CPU, and GPUs. So it could possibly save you money, PSUs can sometimes malfunction on their OCP, and thus this can be handy for then as well. It is like a fuse.

One Piece Heatsinks:

From the looks of it this UD5H seems to be really great hardware wise, the hardware used from the VRM to the connectivity is all great. GIGABYTE has learned from their mistakes with Z68 and is doing its best to listen to its problems for last year, and improve on them this year. The Z77X-UD5H is poised to do just that, and then some.

Okay so I have tested this platform, but I am not going to be able to post up my findings until NDA lift, however I will say that this board is a huge improvement overall, hardware and bios support have come together on this new board better than almost all previous GIGABYTE boards I have tested. I will show this when I am able to post up some results

In my honest opinion these boards are like later gigabyte x58 boards, with better hardware and bios, they are very solid BIOS wise compared to Z68 and X79 GIGABYTE boards, hopefully from here on in, the GIGABYTE boards will all be like this.

Also for those of you who like my OC guides, one will be ready on launch date

Xtreme Addict
    Wow.... nice insight into the board man great bit of work.

UD5's got a good smattering of bits this time round post code indicator, more USB, VGA, more SATA, DUAL lan I like it.

Home / Play Rig Asrock Z87 OC Formula/AC, i7 4770K L310B487, 8GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2666 CL10, BeQuiet Dark Power Pro P8 1200W PSU, 120GB Corsair Force GT SSD, 2 x 1TB WD Sata Drives Mirrored, Palit 680GTX JetStream, Antec Kuhler 920, Windows 10 Pro, Logitech LX700 Deskset, AOC 27" Monitor.

Work 24/7 Rig Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SOC Force, i7 4790K L418C133 ,8GB Team Xtreem LV 2600, PC Power & Cooling 850WPSU, 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD, 2 x 500GB Hitachi Sata Drives Mirrored, Antec Kuhler 620, Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit, Logitech LX700 Deskset, Benq 27" Monitor.

Home NAS DFI P35 T2RL Motherboard, Intel E6850 CPU, 8GB Nanya DDR2 6400, 2X 2TB Toshiba DT01ACA200 SATA Drives, ZFS RAID Mirror On Intel ICH9 AHCI, Artic Blue 850W PSU, Marvell Yukon 88E8053 Gigabit Ethernet, FreeNAS 9.2.1.5 RC, 64-Bit On 4GB USB2 SanDisk Cruizer Blade Thumb Drive.

I am Xtreme
    Looking forward to testing it. Interested to see how the UEFI bios evolved.

Not sure what to think about the heatsink design and color though.
    Where courage, motivation and ignorance meet, a persistent idiot awakens.

Xtreme Legend
    nice one sin

ive mainly been benching with Z77X-UD3H, bioses are coming along pretty nicely. Bios feels good, no sluggish or anything like that. Big clocks, efficiency alright against some of the leaked results so far. Platform is finally an extreme overclockers joy. Finally a platform to look forward to...

UD3H will also have measure points, and tids and bits that we are after.

Last edited by dinos22; 03-17-2012 at 05:14 PM.
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Banned
    That board is fugly.

Xtreme Member
    How much will this thing retail for?

Xtremely Hot Sauce
    Quote Originally Posted by akshayt View Post
    How much will this thing retail for?
    How much is your soul worth?

My toys:
    Asus Sabertooth X58 | Core i7-950 (D0) | CM Hyper 212+ | G.Skill Sniper LV 12GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | GeForce GTX 670-2048MB | OCZ Agility 4 512GB, WD Raptor 150GB x 3 (RAID0), WD Black 1TB x 2 (RAID0) | XFX 650W CAH9 | Lian-Li PC-9F | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Gigabyte EX58-UD3R | Core i7-920 (D0) | Stock HSF | G.Skill Sniper LV 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | Radeon HD 2600 Pro 512MB | WD Caviar 80GB IDE, 4TB x 2 (RAID5) | Corsair TX750 | XClio 188AF | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Dell Dimension 8400 | Pentium 4 530 HT (E0) | Stock HSF | 1.5GB DDR2-400 CL3 | GeForce 8800 GT 256MB | WD Caviar 160GB SATA | Stock PSU | (Broken) Stock Case | Win Vista HP x86
    Little Dot DAC_I | Little Dot MK IV | Beyerdynamic DT-880 Premium (600 Ω) | TEAC AG-H300 MkIII | Polk Audio Monitor 5 Series 2's

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by C-N View Post
    Wow.... nice insight into the board man great bit of work.

UD5's got a good smattering of bits this time round post code indicator, more USB, VGA, more SATA, DUAL lan I like it.
    Thank you
    I love how this board has those things, i also love how it isn't the only gigabyte Z77 board, nor the least or most expensive to have the OC features.
    It has got a crap load of internal USB 3.0 headers as well which I find a bit over the top, however I guess they needed room for the dual NICs. At least they kept intel and added atheros instead of realtek, will be interesting to see how atheros performs.
    Quote Originally Posted by massman View Post
    Looking forward to testing it. Interested to see how the UEFI bios evolved.

Not sure what to think about the heatsink design and color though.
    I think the heatsinks could be nicer looking, however their cooling seems to be much better than Z68X-UD7, they seem to have better thermals but look less cool.

Color of the heatsinks are the big one for me, however this is an early board, not final retail and from my understanding the final heatsinks color is darker blue. However i could be wrong, but i saw some darker pictures of heatsinks on gigabyte's microsite, like this color on the UD3H: http://www.gigabyte.us/products/prod...px?pid=4153#ov

of course the heatsinks are covered when benching, and actually aren't so bright in person, they have a soft texture that is hard to show.

BTW better the board be solid first then the heatsinks, right? lol, i predict it will be great on hardware side. Judging by how good the Z68 boards look, i am using my deductive reasoning skills here
    Quote Originally Posted by dinos22 View Post
    nice one sin

ive mainly been benching with Z77X-UD3H, bioses are coming along pretty nicely. Bios feels look, no sluggish or anything like that. Big clocks, efficiency alright good against some of the leaked results so far. Platform is finally an extreme overclockers joy. Finally a platform to look forward to...

UD3H will also have measure points, and tids and bits that we are after.

Thank mate Yea i really do think these board's BIOS is coming along nicely, things are being fixed now like they should be.
    Last edited by sin0822; 03-17-2012 at 03:58 PM.

I am Xtreme
    the heatsinks were focused to dissipate heat alot better than previous gen.

@dinos you're talking about the advanced mode not 3d bios am i right?

good to know read points are available. the llc sucks on the previous gen.

Xtreme Mentor
    Nicely done sin0822

Xtreme Legend
    Yeah advanced mode, now when you hit escape in main mode you never see it again unless you click 3D bios even if you reset bios.

As far as heatsinks are concerned and heat dissipation I tried to kill a CPU and board with max volts the bios gives and they are scary high, I took off heatspreaders off vrm and stress tested it hard with everything, no problems. Pretty scary how reliable the new chips are in particular. I tried a few other chips since and no dramas so far. I'm talking LN2 volts with ln2 here, so some cooling from ln2 but at the same time way higher volts youve ever done with you 2600k eek
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondacity View Post
    good to know read points are available. the llc sucks on the previous gen.
    yea read points on the UD3H, UD5H, and Sniper 3 pretty handy feature that i am glad to see on a lot of board.

LLC is solid on these boards, if you ever try one you will like it i think.

giga z77>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>giga z68

I am Xtreme
    Good to know

will there be presets for different rams?

I await your guide for 7ghz

Xtreme Member
    Finally, Gigabyte has replaced the faulty IR Mosfets with Renesas parts... Do you know why they do this for this board and not the x79 boards?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sin0822 View Post
    yea read points on the UD3H, UD5H, and Sniper 3 pretty handy feature that i am glad to see on a lot of board.

giga z77>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>giga z68
    I recently purchased a Z68Xp-UD4. I have my board on LLC level 5, currently. What are some of the advantages the Z77 has? (If you can say)

I am Xtreme
    return that pos

I am Xtreme
    Good to know

will there be presets for different rams?

I await your guide for 7ghz
    lol@your post
    Quote Originally Posted by mockingbird View Post
    Finally, Gigabyte has replaced the faulty IR Mosfets with Renesas parts... Do you know why they do this for this board and not the x79 boards?
    These are renesas parts and current spec is like 5A higher, with RDS(on) slightly lower. Issue was never the MOSFETs, but they have been changed just to run a lot cooler. They also changed up the inductors. The VRM never really gets hot on Z77.
    Quote Originally Posted by 0ne.shot View Post
    I recently purchased a Z68Xp-UD4. I have my board on LLC level 5, currently. What are some of the advantages the Z77 has? (If you can say)
    LLC works fine on some of those boards, my G1 Sniper 2 has really great LLC and performance all around, except memory clocking a bit better on another board.

Z77 has more OC options, the boards are more tuned for Ivy bridge, and it has a digital PWM(not really a huge difference), full UEFI, other techs like MVP. It is your call. functionally they should function the same if they are both working in tip top shape, as they are motherboards lol.

I am Xtreme
    Nice work Sin, roll them boards in...
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

Ivy Bridge preview with GIGABYTE Z77X-UD5H (Intel Z77) and Core i7 3770K with some benchmarks:

Ivy Bridge preview with GIGABYTE Z77X-UD5H (Intel Z77) and Core i7 3770K :: TweakTown USA Edition

G.Skill PC3-20800 2666MHz RipjawsZ (on Z77X-UD5H ):

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/4620/ivy...awsz/index.html

Last edited by stasio; 03-20-2012 at 07:54 PM.
    Need a Gigabyte latest BIOS?
    Z370 AORUS Gaming 7,
    GA-Z97X-SOC Force ,Core i7-4790K @ 4.9 GHz
    GA-Z87X-UD3H ,Core i7-4770K @ 4.65 GHz
    G.Skill F3-2933C12D-8GTXDG @ 3100 (12-15-14-35-CR1) @1.66V
    2xSSD Corsair Force GS 128 (RAID 0), WD Caviar Black SATA3 1TB HDD,
    Evga GTS 450 SC, Gigabyte Superb 720W
    XSPC RayStorm D5 EX240 (Liquid Ultra)
    NZXT Phantom 630 Ultra Tower
    Win 7 SP1 x64;Win 10 x64

Xtreme Memory Hoarder
    Quote Originally Posted by sin0822 View Post

good to know since it was beyond borked on p67/z68
    gskillllin it!

XIP
    The bar already set higher for Ivy...DDR3 2966

Xtreme Memory Hoarder
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumo View Post
    The bar already set higher for Ivy...DDR3 2966
    I am ready for 6.5ghz + and DDR3 3000+

it seems that even bad chips will do 5.7-6.1, but the IMC still seems ok.

April 26th couldn't be any further away
    gskillllin it!

1M and 32M SuperPI High Score:

http://hwbot.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42496
    Need a Gigabyte latest BIOS?
    Z370 AORUS Gaming 7,
    GA-Z97X-SOC Force ,Core i7-4790K @ 4.9 GHz
    GA-Z87X-UD3H ,Core i7-4770K @ 4.65 GHz
    G.Skill F3-2933C12D-8GTXDG @ 3100 (12-15-14-35-CR1) @1.66V
    2xSSD Corsair Force GS 128 (RAID 0), WD Caviar Black SATA3 1TB HDD,
    Evga GTS 450 SC, Gigabyte Superb 720W
    XSPC RayStorm D5 EX240 (Liquid Ultra)
    NZXT Phantom 630 Ultra Tower
    Win 7 SP1 x64;Win 10 x64

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by sin0822
    LLC works fine on some of those boards, my G1 Sniper 2 has really great LLC and performance all around, except memory clocking a bit better on another board.

Z77 has more OC options, the boards are more tuned for Ivy bridge, and it has a digital PWM(not really a huge difference), full UEFI, other techs like MVP. It is your call. functionally they should function the same if they are both working in tip top shape, as they are motherboards lol.
    Will LLC work alongside DVID/Offset on the Gigabyte Z77 series? With the Z68 you could choose one or the other not both at the same time.

I know Asus motherboards let you do this, my current MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) only has 1 level of LLC and no Offset option.
    Last edited by Nelly; 03-26-2012 at 05:38 AM.
    i5 2500K @ 4.9GHz MSI Z77 MPower G.Skill Trident 8GB 2400C10
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8GB @ 1784/4004MHz Corsair HX 750 PSU
    Samsung 830 256GB Creative ZxR Thermalright Silver Arrow
    NEC 24WMGX3 24" TFT Fractal Design Define S Win 7/10 64bit

I am Xtreme
    yes DVID and LLC will work together because its a different PWM working everything.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast